Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies thrash Bombers. All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ There were turnovers galore from sloppy kicks and handballs in the first half, too - Essendon just wasn't good enough to do anything with most of them and tended to turn them over straight back to us as long as Collingwood maintained its defensive pressure at the contest. There was a lot of good play by Collingwood to enjoy but there were also some poor skills on display - it just didn't matter (much) in the context of the game.

Sadly, anything less than absolute perfection doesn't appear good enough. For a team playing as poorly as we have it was nothing more than a step in the right direction, still a long way to go. I'm happy just to enjoy the win for what it was, a win.

One can enjoy the win but still be objective about what didn't go well - it helps to lead to reasonable expectations when the side comes up against better teams. There are plenty of people on Nick's who like to criticise players for "letting us down" in "big games", whereas, truth be told, most of them tend to play about as well against the good teams as against the poorer teams but, for a variety of reasons (mostly the quality of the opposition), may be less effective.

Further, it helps one to assess in a more rational way and over time whether the team has "improved" in important areas, even when it plays a much better team and, perhaps, loses than one might do by just looking at the win/loss column and the margin.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Always good to beat the Dons!
Awesome first half and the most pleasing aspect of it was the 'love' after each goal! Just gives you that feeling of a united & happy bunch of mates playing footy together!

Now lets forfeit the Perth game & focus on the boos!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
One can enjoy the win but still be objective about what didn't go well - it helps to lead to reasonable expectations when the side comes up against better teams.

I much prefer "realistic" expectations rather than "reasonable" expectations, however agree that both are subject to what the exact definition is.

All know is that in my life, having unrealistic expectations has always led me towards failure in any matter. Maybe its just me.... Rolling Eyes

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ There were turnovers galore from sloppy kicks and handballs in the first half, too - Essendon just wasn't good enough to do anything with most of them and tended to turn them over straight back to us as long as Collingwood maintained its defensive pressure at the contest. There was a lot of good play by Collingwood to enjoy but there were also some poor skills on display - it just didn't matter (much) in the context of the game.

Are you ever happy ? Is that guitar even plugged in? We won enjoy.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:06 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Are you ever happy ? Is that guitar even plugged in?

LOL!! Razz

Are the "perceptive fellow" ever happy?

Are they all genuine Collingwood supporters?

Is Abbott capable of being PM again?

Has Turnbull been sucked in by the Liberal right wingers?

Will Shorten ever grow taller?

It's the very same answer to all the above questions!!! Go figure Twisted Evil Cool

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:02 pm

i don't know. Perhaps you could ask them, instead of me? If you've got nothing sensible to contribute to a discussion and nothing funny to say, why post in the thread?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

i was speaking to your uncle today. he said you were a miserable git and that you secretly sang the dees song the other week.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:03 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Is that guitar even plugged in?

Bazinga! Classic 3rd. I dips my lid to you Sir.

Robbie 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:16 pm
Post subject: Proud to be in the Magpie ArmyReply with quote

That effort by our wonderful team made me feel good all over regardless of my physical situation with its associated pain levels. Anyone who says football cannot be that important clearly hasn't understood how sad the current political or our financial system is, that is making it so hard for young Australians to purchase a home.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 pm

John Wren wrote:
3rd degree wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

i was speaking to your uncle today. he said you were a miserable git and that you secretly sang the dees song the other week.

you really are the most pathetic name dropper , how would he know? hes so busy singing his favourite song " Me myself I".

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm

Robbie wrote:
That effort by our wonderful team made me feel good all over regardless of my physical situation with its associated pain levels. Anyone who says football cannot be that important clearly hasn't understood how sad the current political or our financial system is, that is making it so hard for young Australians to purchase a home.
What makes it impossible?
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Culprit wrote:
We should have won by more and losing Varcoe slowed our run. Going to miss him for another 3 to 4 weeks. Smith was impressive on debut. Cox was OK and did some great things. He has a crack and for a big bloke he can get the low ball. Happy to win but it was the Bombers and we could have won by 100 plus. Reality next week or we are back in the hunt.

Happy we won as I expected a loss.

God, there's a lot of people here who don't understand how the game works, actually, sport in general!
Why should we have beaten Essendon by a hundred plus? Nobody else has! Geelong only won by 30 points, Melbourne got beaten by them, the most they’ve gone down by is 60 odd, in fact ours has been the biggest win over them so far this year, and I dare say they won't go down by 100 very often, if at all. They are NOT playing like the seconds side we expected, they are playing like a bottom-half-of-the-ladder AFL side, and if they win one or two more the big 'punishment' will make them damn near unbeatable in the next year or two!
It was completely unreal to expect a second half as good as the first, there was nothing to play for and the intensity completely disappeared. Add to that we have the longest and most serious injury list in the game, with double the 'season' outs of anyone else, Freo included (until this week).
Go look at the AFL injury list, and take into account the number of players injured, the calibre of the players injured and the length of expected time out. Based on that alone we shouldn’t win a game all season! Imagine how great Hawthorn would be with 12 players out, 5 for the season? It would be great to continue on as we did in the first half, but that was the best half of footy we've played in over a year, or since the Kangas comeback. Although the second half against Geelong in the NAB was pretty awesome, and quite similar to this week, (and also the last time Cox and Smith played in the same side). It was pretty damn good considering we don't have Swan, Ramsay or Elliot. Imagine replacing our 3 worst players on Monday with those 3!
I would've said we'd be a good chance next week, but the loss of Varcoe has changed my mind a bit, he is vital to the run we need coming out of half back. I expect Aish to also play that role in future, but he's started slowly and will take a few more games. A few in the Magoos won't hurt him, but only if someone impresses enough, maybe Roop2? Plus there's any number of idiotic things Buckley might do in Match Committee to hobble us. I wouldn't change the side much except to replace Varcs

Absolutely no doubt that the first half was a far better indication of how we can and should play, and how we WILL play if we can maintain the CONFIDENCE we had on Monday. Next week we will see whether we play as we should, or whether Monday was a one off. The difference, if there is one, will be confidence. on Monday we got the best start we could possibly get, and that start proves the HUGE difference that a confident team makes. The question is, did Buckley learn anything about confidence from Anzac? How vital it is in the modern game, how to infuse it, and how to maintain it, both in individual players and the side as a whole.
Monday also showed up the flaw in looking at numbers alone in the modern game. Purely on the numbers you'd probably drop Cox next week, he didn’t get that many touches, and only got the one goal. But the numbers don't tell you that it was his first game, that he's learned the game incredibly quickly, and how much it meant for the guys that Coxy kicked the first, in fact i'd go as far as to suggest that that first quarter might not have been the match winner it was without that moment. Look at the faces of the guys who came up to congratulate Coxy, they were absolutely rapt, and the whole thing helped channel the huge amount of nervous energy they must've been feeling at the first bounce. It was a fairly amazing performance from a guy who had probably never heard the words 'Collingwood' or 'Anzac Day' two years ago. He showed kicking and marking ability even I didn’t think he had. He didn’t just kick that goal, he directly set up two more goals and had a hand in a few more with big attacks on the pack which sent blokes sprawling right & left. If he and Moore keep working together, and learning each other's game, they could be the best tall forward combo we've had since Taz & Pebbles, who scared the crap out of oppo sides in 02-03. And that is another area where Buckley has a lot to learn, Making our side feel & look confident is vital, but so is making the oppo feel less confident, and nothing makes a full-back look less confident than playing on a 7 foot bloke! The beautiful part is that all three (Moore, Cox, and Grundy) can ruck, and all 3 can kick straight. Now if Buckley could just wake up to the obvious and play Cloke at half back, we would have a side that could kick a score every week!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Lazza wrote:

There's one thing to disagree with someone's opinion, but to question whether they're genuine Collingwood supporters is nothing but insulting because they don't align with your viewpoint and see the club through a more bleak lens.

To question someone's love for the club even if they don't agree with the inner-workings of the club or are questioning the players or coach is bordering on disgraceful. If their are opposition supporters (big if) who are trolling this forum, then they're an aberration rather than a norm even amongst those that you would call ""perceptive fellow"".

You're better than that Lazza.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Jezza wrote:
Lazza wrote:

There's one thing to disagree with someone's opinion, but to question whether they're genuine Collingwood supporters is nothing but insulting because they don't align with your viewpoint and see the club through a more bleak lens.

To question someone's love for the club even if they don't agree with the inner-workings of the club or are questioning the players or coach is bordering on disgraceful. If their are opposition supporters (big if) who are trolling this forum, then they're an aberration rather than a norm even amongst those that you would call ""perceptive fellow"".

You're better than that Lazza.

Thanks for your reply Jezza and I’ll try my best to explain the reason for my comments. Rightly or wrongly, I have got the distinctly strong impression this week that some posters on Nick’s were actually bloody pissed off or made to look bad/wrong by Collingwood winning the game. If you were not one of those, I fully excuse you from my accusations. However I will never withdraw a comment that I have made after reading many posts and such putrid negative stuff after a 69 point win, btw the biggest win against the bummers by any team this season.

I (and others) have said numerous times that it’s up to the mods to deal with this issue, not me. But I remain extremely confident in my honest view that asking a question, like “Are they all genuine Collingwood supporters?” based on a reasonable impression, is a totally valid one.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Oh, and lets not forget how well the umpires went for Essendon, In the first quarter they were BOG for the Dons, picking up 9 kicks and a goal! How the F**K do you win a quarter that completely and lose 9-1 in Frees??? And they were pathetic! When the commentators start bitching about the umpiring there's something wrong. Their ridiculous antics easily cost us two goals, if not more.
And what is the deal with the "not 15" crap?! We were kicking thirty plus metres and getting told to play on while Essendon only had to plonk it about 8! This seems to be a general thing across all our games, they are making some howlers with that rule. Bizarrely though, we got 2 goals from Free kicks which is unheard of! Certainly they were there, but still! And when, oh when are these idiot green maggots going to actually implement the rule brought in a couple of years ago to prevent ducking? How many times did guys drop their weight so they were caught high? It's going to cause a serious injury one day, namely when I run out on the field and kick Selwood in the nuts!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15   

Jump to: