Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:32 am
Post subject: The great Travis Cloke debateReply with quote

Seen tonight with Dickson what a real front man is supposed to do, played deep and shallow and was a clear asset to his team, IMO Cloke has one more week (a week he's lucky to have) to prove his worth, if he doesn't carve up the Saints tomorrow send him to the 2s, maybe, just maybe that might be the kick he needs.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 am
Post subject: Re: Serious discussion on ClokeReply with quote

Bob Sugar wrote:
Seen tonight with Dickson what a real front man is supposed to do, played deep and shallow and was a clear asset to his team, IMO Cloke has one more week (a week he's lucky to have) to prove his worth, if he doesn't carve up the Saints tomorrow send him to the 2s, maybe, just maybe that might be the kick he needs.

Sheesh guys. Cloke has been arguably the best power forward in the game for the past 10 years. Doesn't he deserve time to work himself into form? I bet Pavlich doesn't get sledged like this when he has a few quiet games early in the season. I bet no one talks of dumpling him.....

What a bunch of "what have you done for me lately" folks we have on this board.

Cloke still looks dangerous to me. I agree he is not on song or anywhere near his best form (which by the way, most 29 yo power forwards tail off about this time - Dermot Brereton anyone?), but he certainly did enough that talking of dropping him is idiotic and clearly vindictive.

I know you are just yearning for the cloke of old. that might not come back.

Think back to 2007 and how useful Ant rocca was as he wound down his career, even though he stopped being our best forward as Cloke came through. This is what you will start to need to expect from Cloke. nice leads up the ground with a quick penetrating kick forward to Fas or Moore, and him bobbing up for a few goals here and there.

Faz, Moore and Howe (and Elliot on return), need to start assuming goals are their job.

but please don't suggest there is anyone in the twos you think can do better than Cloke over the course of a season.....

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:56 am

Bob Sugar wrote:

We have no idea what the team instructions are regarding the role he's expected to play, so we have no way to measure his contribution.

I think its a mistake to assume that the coaching panel has no idea of what's best for the team. If they pick him, it's because he's important. If they drop him then we know he's not performing to their expectation.

I thought he made a real contribution last week, he doesn't have to kick a bag to help us win.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that whilst Cloke has been very good over the last decade he is not in the class of a Pavlich or other Elite power forwards, simply because his kicking is just not good enough and never has been. Too many times I have seem the effect on the whole side when the game is on the line and he misses one or two gimme shots from the square.

Its a blight on his game and its been a blight on his career, that said he has usually been able to impact games with his size, strength, run, marking and long kicking and we desperately need that now. Don't know if its wear and tear, long term degenerative issue but at the moment he looks like an old man at the end of the line and we need to hope and pray that is not the case.

A few weeks ago we were looking at one of the most awesome forward lines in the league with Cloke, Elliot, Moore, Fas, Howe all lining up in the front six. Now its looking like we've lost one for most of the year, anothers had no preseason to speak of and is underdone, whilst Cloke is looking cooked.

And whilst we are at it, the much vaunted midfield of galacticos: Treloar, Aish, Pendles, Swan, Greenwood, Adams, Aish, DeGoey, Crisp, Steele et al cannot win a clearance!!! Hope its just a matter of needing to clique and they are only a matter of a week or two away form starting to click.

Couple of seasons ago we were drooling at the prospect of a mature Grundy and Witts dominating games, now they both look B Grade!

And now we get to a backline that look like a bunch from the ammos, jittery, inexperienced and error prone, why, what happened?

Langdon, Frost and Maynard look to have gone backwards in their development, Toovey looks cooked and we now seem totally reliant on keeping a guy fit who has hardly been able to get on the part for two seasons and a guy who just did his knee so he can join our star backline draftee on the sidelines for another year.

Either we cannot take a trick or we are getting it horribly wrong managing fitness and injury. Or maybe they are all just party boys trashing their bodies!!!!

FMD! I've got no idea anymore, thought we had the best list I'd seen six years and know half of them don't look ready and the other half can't get on the track.

Last edited by rand corp on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:38 am

Ha... a few misspelled player names and omissions (buddy says hi), plus a bit harsh on Ramsay, but I agree with most of your sentiments.

You forgot Sidey and Crisp from our midfield, but I too am at a bit of a loss as to why they haven't stood up so far. Tom Mitchell and Luke Parker made them look like rookies in round one, as well as looking like they were playing with cement shoes.

Adams looked primed to become a 30 possie predator, but so far has looked small, slow, and out-muscled, whilst fumbling and rushing his disposal under pressure. Greenwood has been serviceable, but again v slow, and Crisp seems to be basking in his new deal. Sidey has been a big out, Pendles is at 80% and scared of contact, whilst Aish managed one kick last week, whilst Lindsay hunter from his draft year has all of a sudden become a midfield star.

Grundy and Witts obv need more time (years), though Grundy looks like he may never be athletic or have a good tank, whilst Witts makes bad decisions, is always ball watching and has never used his height to dominate a game.

Maybe our coaches aren't as good at development as other clubs, because it just doesn't make any sense for so many talented players to be under delivering on their potential.

I also remember Brereton AND Carey going downhill from 29, so I would also cut Cloke some slack, especially as his Richmond game wasn't that bad, whilst praying that Hogan is holding off on his contract negotiations to move across from Gosch's to the Holden Centre...

Go pies
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:11 am

I think right now we need him more in the the team than out, takes the best defender and gives our young up and coming forwards a better chance.

Got any others suggestions better than Cloke?

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 am

Darkstranger wrote:
I think right now we need him more in the the team than out, takes the best defender and gives our young up and coming forwards a better chance.

Agree we do not want Moore to be smashed by the oppositions best defender every week
Look what happened to Frasers body

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 am

Cloke averages 1.8 goals a game over his career. He's now averaged 0.5 goals in his last 8 games.

His last bag was against GWS in Round 11 2015 when he kick 5.2.
The week before against Melbourne in Round 10 2015 he kicked 7.0!

Since then:
0.0 vs Fremantle (65 DT)
1.4 vs Hawthorn (99 DT)
0.0 vs Port Adelaide (43 DT)
0.0 vs West Coast (injured in first quarter)
1.1 vs Sydney (52 DT)
1.1 vs Richmond (61 DT)

0.0 vs Sydney (32 DT)
1.3 vs Richmond (59 DT)

You could drop Cloke for the next game but he also kicked 5.4 against St Kilda last year.

Looking at our next few matches:
St Kilda
Melbourne
Essendon

If he doesn't perform in those matches he has to be dropped.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:18 am

E wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

Sheesh guys. Cloke has been arguably the best power forward in the game for the past 10 years. Doesn't he deserve time to work himself into form? I bet Pavlich doesn't get sledged like this when he has a few quiet games early in the season. I bet no one talks of dumpling him.....

What a bunch of "what have you done for me lately" folks we have on this board.

Cloke still looks dangerous to me. I agree he is not on song or anywhere near his best form (which by the way, most 29 yo power forwards tail off about this time - Dermot Brereton anyone?), but he certainly did enough that talking of dropping him is idiotic and clearly vindictive.

I know you are just yearning for the cloke of old. that might not come back.

Think back to 2007 and how useful Ant rocca was as he wound down his career, even though he stopped being our best forward as Cloke came through. This is what you will start to need to expect from Cloke. nice leads up the ground with a quick penetrating kick forward to Fas or Moore, and him bobbing up for a few goals here and there.

Faz, Moore and Howe (and Elliot on return), need to start assuming goals are their job.

but please don't suggest there is anyone in the twos you think can do better than Cloke over the course of a season.....

Sheesh I'd swap him for buddy in a heartbeat.

"What have you done for me lately?" When was the last "game" he really wasn't his pay? Can you name it?

Exactly how long does he need to get back into form? A couple more years?

He can't kick straight for goal, and that, basically is no 1 requirement I his job! But he can kick bloody long, so play him half back! Let him kick it home to the accurate few!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 am

neil wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Agree we do not want Moore to be smashed by the oppositions best defender every week
Look what happened to Frasers body

It was ruck work that killed Fraser.

But yes, as some one pointed out last year, he's still the worlds most expensive decoy!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 am

stoliboy wrote:
Cloke averages 1.8 goals a game over his career. He's now averaged 0.5 goals in his last 8 games.

His last bag was against GWS in Round 11 2015 when he kick 5.2.
The week before against Melbourne in Round 10 2015 he kicked 7.0!

Since then:
0.0 vs Fremantle (65 DT)
1.4 vs Hawthorn (99 DT)
0.0 vs Port Adelaide (43 DT)
0.0 vs West Coast (injured in first quarter)
1.1 vs Sydney (52 DT)
1.1 vs Richmond (61 DT)

0.0 vs Sydney (32 DT)
1.3 vs Richmond (59 DT)

You could drop Cloke for the next game but he also kicked 5.4 against St Kilda last year.

Looking at our next few matches:
St Kilda
Melbourne
Essendon

If he doesn't perform in those matches he has to be dropped.

Thanks for proving my point re Cloke, great post

But also, if we don't perform in the next three matches, he's not the only one that needs to be dropped! God help us if we can't win these three! We are truly a rabble. Now excuse me while I go find the red whit and black voodoo doll!

stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:35 am

The Saints tend to play him into form, no matter how bad he is playing at the time. His last 3 games against them he's kicked 5.4, 5.2 and 4.5. That's 25 scrores in 3 games... And most likely a few ootf. He's having more than 8 shots per game against them. So don't be surprised if he kicks a bag against them. I hope he can get it all together today, have his 8 shots and kick 8.0. Here's to hoping. Wink
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:44 am

think positive wrote:

It was ruck work that killed Fraser.

It was getting smashed week in week out at a young age that wreaked Fraser. The lack of an alternative ruckman or lack of an alternative KPF what is the difference to a 20 year olds body?

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:56 am

I like the role Cloke played against the tigers… he had a few shots on goal but played up the ground and marked strongly and then delivered the ball into the fwd line quickly.

If he does the same this week - and kicks only 1 or 2 goals but Moore kicks the same or more then I think that is better than relying on Cloke as the Full Forward kicking 5.

He can be a pretty good shot from around 50 out so he should consider that his zone - but he comes forward now and then to worry the opposition.

Overall we need to utilise his greatest strength - marking and not rely on his weakness - kicking for goals. Getting the ball through the half forward line is always a challenge for all clubs and Cloke can make a huge difference by helping to deliver the ball into our forward line and generally ensure we have a big presence. Our young rucks and 3rd tall (WHite/Gault) are not much of a presence as yet!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 am

Ben Dixon the other night on league teams said he had been working with Cloke on his approach and leg swing
He likened it to a golf swing where he believes Cloke is loading up his leg swing so much his hips don't get through over the leg and he's leaning back and reaching out to kick the ball creating to much leg swing and inaccuracy
It actually sounded logical and I remember thinking at various times Cloke was leaning back so far when kicking he looked awkward
Dixon said he's a mighty kick without the extra effort he just needs to keep working on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 1 of 52   

Jump to: