Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

😀

Last edited by think positive on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

He's played 243 games and kicked 437 goals. I don't think a player of his standing needs to "redeem himself" in a meaningless game near the end of an appalling season by the Club.

what I meant was, only if he has another shocker as he did last week, though Fas was no better, he was not ready to resume, obviously. FWIW I hope he does boot a few goals and holds his place, at the end of the day, he has two more seasons in him with us, at least. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

He's played 243 games and kicked 437 goals. I don't think a player of his standing needs to "redeem himself" in a meaningless game near the end of an appalling season by the Club.

Impressive stats average of 1.7 goals over career for $800,000 per year since 2012. Suppose it could be worse we could be paying Boyd a million a year for 7 years.

Jacko averaged over 3.5 goals per game.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

Impressive stats average of 1.7 goals over career for $800,000 per year since 2012. Suppose it could be worse we could be paying Boyd a million a year for 7 years.

In an era of highly skilled midfielders kicking to 1 out full forwards, Cloke at his best would've kicked 110 in those days, with 300 behinds as well.

Dunstal and Lockett wouldn't be able to kick 100 in todays football.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Or not.

Yeah sorry I was being Sarcastic. I came back to this thread to say in 2 or 3 years Boyd might be worth 1 million per year. Liked him tonight. He can kick straight as well.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:12 pm

In 2010, Cloke kicked 5 goals twice (once in a 20-goal effort against Freo and once in a 24-goal 98 point flogging of the Bumblers). He kicked 4 goals once (the other game against the Bumblers). Otherwise, his best return in the home away matches in our premiership season was 2 goals - he did that 4 times. He kicked only one goal in ten home and away games and was kept goalless in the remaining 3. In the 4 finals that year, he kicked 1 goal, 3 goals, 1 goal and no goals. His contribution to the premiership team was not about the goals he kicked.

Interestingly, he kicked his 150th career goal in the 2010 Qualifying Final against Footscray. That was in his 6th season (and his 121st game). By the end of 2010, Cloke had kicked 155 goals in 124 games at an average of 1.25 goals per game.

In the 6 seasons since Collingwood's 2010 flag (including his mostly poor last 12 months), Cloke has kicked a further 282 goals in 119 games at an average of 2.37 goals per game.

The figures speak for themselves. Cloke's goal-kicking returns in the second half of his career have been almost double what he achieved in the first half of his career. The Club was desperate to retain Cloke on a long contract and did so. Cloke repaid us with the best returns of his career.

In the last 12 months, he's played more average (at best) games than good ones. Then again, he's only played 12 games in the last year. Yet, even in his ten 2016 games his statistical averages have been very similar to his 2010 year, even though the 2016 team has, as a whole, been mostly dreadful.

Cloke is actually one of a handful of players who improved significantly after Collingwood won the flag. I have absolutely no doubt that he's done his best and given us everything he could. The continuing disparagement and sarcasm directed at one of the Club's greatest-ever players is sickening and embarrassing.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
In 2010, Cloke kicked 5 goals twice (once in a 20-goal effort against Freo and once in a 24-goal 98 point flogging of the Bumblers). He kicked 4 goals once (the other game against the Bumblers). Otherwise, his best return in the home away matches in our premiership season was 2 goals - he did that 4 times. He kicked only one goal in ten home and away games and was kept goalless in the remaining 3. In the 4 finals that year, he kicked 1 goal, 3 goals, 1 goal and no goals. His contribution to the premiership team was not about the goals he kicked.

Interestingly, he kicked his 150th career goal in the 2010 Qualifying Final against Footscray. That was in his 6th season (and his 121st game). By the end of 2010, Cloke had kicked 155 goals in 124 games at an average of 1.25 goals per game.

In the 6 seasons since Collingwood's 2010 flag (including his mostly poor last 12 months), Cloke has kicked a further 282 goals in 119 games at an average of 2.37 goals per game.

The figures speak for themselves. Cloke's goal-kicking returns in the second half of his career have been almost double what he achieved in the first half of his career. The Club was desperate to retain Cloke on a long contract and did so. Cloke repaid us with the best returns of his career.

In the last 12 months, he's played more average (at best) games than good ones. Then again, he's only played 12 games in the last year. Yet, even in his ten 2016 games his statistical averages have been very similar to his 2010 year, even though the 2016 team has, as a whole, been mostly dreadful.

Cloke is actually one of a handful of players who improved significantly after Collingwood won the flag. I have absolutely no doubt that he's done his best and given us everything he could. The continuing disparagement and sarcasm directed at one of the Club's greatest-ever players is sickening and embarrassing.

You've just confirmed to me that he's never been a great key forward.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:47 pm

^^^ That's possibly the silliest thing that's ever been said in the entire history of the universe, RB. I know you're just teasing me, though.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ That's possibly the silliest thing that's ever been said in the entire history of the universe, RB. I know you're just teasing me, though.

I'm not teasing P4S. Cloke was definitely a good player, but he was never a great player. When I think of great centre half forwards I think of Carey, Brereton, Buddy, Carman, Ablett Snr and even Hird. Imho Cloke has never been close to any of these greats. This is not a disgrace, as not many players have been in the 'Great' category. Cloke was a good player and now he's not so good. I think some supporters need to simply accept this and move on....and allow Cloke to move on as well.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:22 pm

So, the standard, now, for a Collingwood player wishing to avoid your vituperative abuse is to be as good as Carman? Or to be as good as Brereton (the second-best finals forward I have ever seen - you left Crosswell out of your list), Carey (considered by many to be the greatest player ever to play his position) or Ablett Snr (considered by many to be the greatest player ever)?

Rocca - 220 Collingwood games for 404 goals.
Weideman - 180 games for 262 goals.
Kink 154 Collingwood games for 240 goals.
Dunne 213 games for 238 goals.

What's your pass mark to be considered one of Collingwood's greatest-ever players, bearing in mind that, eg, Anthony Rocca, Damian Monkhurst, James Clement, Scott Burns, Paul Licuria, Ray Shaw, Denis Banks, Gavin Crosisca and Mick McGuane have all been admitted individually (that is, not as part of a premiership team) to the official Collingwood Hall of Fame?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, the standard, now, for a Collingwood player wishing to avoid your vituperative abuse is to be as good as Carman? Or to be as good as Brereton (the second-best finals forward I have ever seen - you left Crosswell out of your list), Carey (considered by many to be the greatest player ever to play his position) or Ablett Snr (considered by many to be the greatest player ever)?

Rocca - 220 Collingwood games for 404 goals.
Weideman - 180 games for 262 goals.
Kink 154 Collingwood games for 240 goals.
Dunne 213 games for 238 goals.

What's your pass mark to be considered one of Collingwood's greatest-ever players, bearing in mind that, eg, Anthony Rocca, Damian Monkhurst, James Clement, Scott Burns, Paul Licuria, Ray Shaw, Denis Banks, Gavin Crosisca and Mick McGuane have all been admitted individually (that is, not as part of a premiership team) to the official Collingwood Hall of Fame?

Sadly, the absence of great Collingwood centre half forwards is a major reason we've only won 2 Flags since 1958. As hard as it may be for some to admit it, but Twiggy Dunne, Rocca, Starcevich, Kink and Crosisca were certainly all good (some very good) players for us, but over the last few decades I've watched other teams win multiple Premierships with truly great centre half forwards, something we have not had. You obviously rate these players of ours better than me. That's fair enough. At the end of the day it's a subjective judgement.

By the way, Weideman was a great leader and enforcer on the field, which makes him great imo, though judged purely on goals scored he may not measure up so well.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:44 pm

"Measured up" against against Cloke, Weideman was (maybe, being generous) half as good. Of course, he played in a different era, in which "enforcers" were a useful part of any team. As I'm sure you know, no "enforcer" would play 2 games in succession in the present day.

Actually, I never had any time for Kink. I was merely listing other blokes who had had lengthy stints at CHF for Collingwood and I had seen play. On output, week in, week out, for over a decade, Cloke is the best of them.

Otherwise, I was trying to make the point (respectfully) that there are plenty of players in the Club's Hall of Fame who weren't as good as Cloke and contributed less on match-day. There are plenty of better players in there, too (eg, McKenna, Gordon Coventry, Dick Lee). Yet, Cloke seems to be the one singled out for the abuse - that's what I won't ever understand. It seems to me to be nasty and mean-spirited. There were guys who played for Collingwood that I couldn't stand because they almost never turned up to play in any game that mattered - but I (nearly always) held my tongue about them because I assumed that they were doing their best, even though I would rather have been forced to eat my own eyes than watch them play in another Grand Final.

Thus, as I've said many times before, I'm not trying to make a case that Cloke is an all-time great (though he is one of the best and most consistent Collingwood players I have seen - which, as you rightly point out, says more about the Club than it does about Cloke - and will inevitably be inducted into the Hall of Fame), I just wish people would stop being so nasty about him, for no good reason. He isn't (and has never been) a favourite of mine but the repeated baseless criticism is cringeworthy.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
"Measured up" against against Cloke, Weideman was (maybe, being generous) half as good. Of course, he played in a different era, in which "enforcers" were a useful part of any team. As I'm sure you know, no "enforcer" would play 2 games in succession in the present day.

Actually, I never had any time for Kink. I was merely listing other blokes who had had lengthy stints at CHF for Collingwood and I had seen play. On output, week in, week out, for over a decade, Cloke is the best of them.

Otherwise, I was trying to make the point (respectfully) that there are plenty of players in the Club's Hall of Fame who weren't as good as Cloke and contributed less on match-day. There are plenty of better players in there, too (eg, McKenna, Gordon Coventry, Dick Lee). Yet, Cloke seems to be the one singled out for the abuse - that's what I won't ever understand. It seems to me to be nasty and mean-spirited. There were guys who played for Collingwood that I couldn't stand because they almost never turned up to play in any game that mattered - but I (nearly always) held my tongue about them because I assumed that they were doing their best, even though I would rather have been forced to eat my own eyes than watch them play in another Grand Final.

Thus, as I've said many times before, I'm not trying to make a case that Cloke is an all-time great (though he is one of the best and most consistent Collingwood players I have seen - which, as you rightly point out, says more about the Club than it does about Cloke - and will inevitably be inducted into the Hall of Fame), I just wish people would stop being so nasty about him, for no good reason. He isn't (and has never been) a favourite of mine but the repeated baseless criticism is cringeworthy.

I understand where you're coming from P4S. FWIW, I reckon Cloke has been our best CHF for the past 30 years, so, at his best, he's certainly been a very good player. However, compared to the great CHFs from other teams over this period, I don't rate Travis as a great CHF. I haven't always managed it, but I've tried to be respectful of Cloke, even when I've thought his kicking inaccuracy has cost us important games and almost cost us a Premiership. If he'd been able to become a more reliable kick for goal, my guess is there would have been a lot more love for the big fella, than has been the case. When a player of his size and skill takes important marks but regularly misses shots from directly in front of goals, costing us games, it's only natural that he would attract the ire of many heart broken Pies supporters. Furthermore, the public standoff and media postering over his contract back in 2012 did a lot of damage to his image among many Pies supporters, including me. That's just the way it is.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Cloke has been a great CHF for us, but unfortunately his time has been and come for us and now it's over. Bit like Sav Rocca a bit over a decade ago. I don't know whose fault it is. Maybe it's Buckley's fault or maybe it's Cloke's fault. It doesn't matter. What matters is that he no longer hits the scoreboard and he longer imposes himself in the contest. When White marked and gaoled in the last quarter he moved past Cloke as our preferred marking forward, just as Moore moved past Cloke in the first half of the season. If Cloke stays next year, Crocker will move past him as well. Better to cut our losses and see what we can get for him at seasons end. Otherwise Cloke is just marking time.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:14 am

IF he fails to fire against the tigers, then its over, that's it, the big Yank comes in for him.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 50 of 52   

Jump to: