Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

While Cox, White and Moore continue to play well and work together as a unit, I can't see a spot for Cloke at all. He may well have to rely on injuries to get a spot back in the seniors. Given his shocking goal kicking routine, it's entirely possible he has played his last senior game for us. At his best, 2011-2013, he'd be an automatic selection, but that sort of form has not been seen for 3 years and I can't see it returning.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:20 pm

His goal kicking routine worked last night. 4 straight. Wink
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
There is simply no plausible basis for selecting Moore ahead of Cloke beyond player development. Moore hasn't had a single good game this year (although he did have a reasonable second half against Carlton after failing to get a kick in the first half). Cloke was dropped after 2 games in succession in which he had more of the ball than Moore has had in any game this season. That could have been done (and no doubt was) for all sorts of reasons - but one of them wasn't that Moore was playing better. In fact, the stats show that in those 2 games, Cloke had 24 kicks - precisely, as fate would have it, 3 times the 8 Moore had over those 2 games. If you count handballs, Cloke only had twice as many disposals as Moore but he did kick 4 times as many goals.

Quoted from another thread. There is clearly something more to the Cloke story than meets the eye, as his form against Richmond and Melbourne didn't look at all bad, to me, and as a key forward you'd think that Travis would worry opposition coaches more than Darcy for the reasons P4S clearly explains.

He could have been omitted for team balance and player development reasons, but that does not really square with Buckley's statement that he neds to go back to "rediscover his hunger and enjoyment of his footy" (or words largely to that effect). I'd say his demotion has something to do with a perceived attitude or commitment problem, either on-field or off. I find it hard to believe that it's just about developing Darcy, important though that is.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
There is simply no plausible basis for selecting Moore ahead of Cloke beyond player development. Moore hasn't had a single good game this year (although he did have a reasonable second half against Carlton after failing to get a kick in the first half). Cloke was dropped after 2 games in succession in which he had more of the ball than Moore has had in any game this season. That could have been done (and no doubt was) for all sorts of reasons - but one of them wasn't that Moore was playing better. In fact, the stats show that in those 2 games, Cloke had 24 kicks - precisely, as fate would have it, 3 times the 8 Moore had over those 2 games. If you count handballs, Cloke only had twice as many disposals as Moore but he did kick 4 times as many goals.

Quoted from another thread. There is clearly something more to the Cloke story than meets the eye, as his form against Richmond and Melbourne didn't look at all bad, to me, and as a key forward you'd think that Travis would worry opposition coaches more than Darcy for the reasons P4S clearly explains.

He could have been omitted for team balance and player development reasons, but that does not really square with Buckley's statement that he neds to go back to "rediscover his hunger and enjoyment of his footy" (or words largely to that effect). I'd say his demotion has something to do with a perceived attitude or commitment problem, either on-field or off. I find it hard to believe that it's just about developing Darcy, important though that is.

Darcy Moore has cemented his spot and is getting better each game. The same might just about be said for Cox and White. Cloke is now 4th in line for a key marking forward spot. Just as Josh Fraser lost his senior spot in 2010, so too has Cloke in 2016. Who knows, he might win his spot back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never plays for our senior team again.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:05 am

And 5 years ago Rudeboy you were saying you hoped he never played for Collingwood ever again...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:28 am

eddiesmith wrote:
And 5 years ago Rudeboy you were saying you hoped he never played for Collingwood ever again...

That's right. Under the influence of Demir no doubt, his public posturing about considering an offer to play for Carlton, was the last straw for me. At the time I would have been happy to have traded him. I still think we should have, because I don't think his performances since then have been worth almost $4 million over 5 years. Still, once the club gave him his contract I've hoped he would deliver the goods. Sadly, whether its due to injuries, confidence, poor technique, a lack of footy smarts or a lack of hunger for the game, he has been something of a passenger for most of the past 2 years. You, no doubt see it differently, but that's how I've seen him - a great talent in serious decline since 2013.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:11 am

If he cant get back into the side this year I would say he'd be off to Richmond for sure. all depends on the injury/form of the current forwards.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:20 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Darcy Moore has cemented his spot and is getting better each game. The same might just about be said for Cox and White. Cloke is now 4th in line for a key marking forward spot. Just as Josh Fraser lost his senior spot in 2010, so too has Cloke in 2016. Who knows, he might win his spot back, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never plays for our senior team again.

On direct form comparison? That's just not correct. Even this season Cloke has performed better than our other tall forwards and Moore has been our second worst ahead of Gault.

I agree with Mugwump, this was not a decision made only on form. It's a commitment issue or a breakdown in the relationship. Cloke's form was at it's best just as he was dropped. Clearly, despite performing better than the other tall forwards he's not doing what the coaches require of him, either on or off field.

Whatever the reason for his demotion, we need him back in the team to be at our best, our other tall forwards don't come close to matching him.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

On direct form comparison? That's just not correct. Even this season Cloke has performed better than our other tall forwards and Moore has been our second worst ahead of Gault.

I agree with Mugwump, this was not a decision made only on form. It's a commitment issue or a breakdown in the relationship. Cloke's form was at it's best just as he was dropped. Clearly, despite performing better than the other tall forwards he's not doing what the coaches require of him, either on or off field.

Whatever the reason for his demotion, we need him back in the team to be at our best, our other tall forwards don't come close to matching him.

The selectors and I disagree with you inky.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

Look Out Eddiesmith throwing cut lunches! Wink

www.facebook/the hybernators
Killbot 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Day of mourning in the Cloke household today

The Dakota Bar in Ringwood burnt down

The place where the Cloke brothers were constantly BOG
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:03 pm

Killbot wrote:
Day of mourning in the Cloke household today

The Dakota Bar in Ringwood burnt down

The place where the Cloke brothers were constantly BOG

Allegedly the same insurers as The Tree Fallen Mciwaber tavern in belgrave.

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Not too sure why the reality is so hard for some to accept... Compare their last 2 games at senior level...

Travis Cloke:
R3 16 disposals; 2 goals 1 behind
R4 15 disposals; 2 goals 0 behinds

Darcy Moore:
R8 7 disposals; 1-1
R9 12 disposal; 1-1

And their season to date...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=5&type=A&pid1=4023&pid2=1521&fid1=S&fid2=S

If we're playing Moore ahead of Cloke it is purely based on longer term potential but it is costing us at the moment. The sooner Cloke is back the better but that doesn't have to occur at the expense of Moore.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:45 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Not too sure why the reality is so hard for some to accept... Compare their last 2 games at senior level...

Travis Cloke:
R3 16 disposals; 2 goals 1 behind
R4 15 disposals; 2 goals 0 behinds

Darcy Moore:
R8 7 disposals; 1-1
R9 12 disposal; 1-1

And their season to date...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=5&type=A&pid1=4023&pid2=1521&fid1=S&fid2=S

If we're playing Moore ahead of Cloke it is purely based on longer term potential but it is costing us at the moment. The sooner Cloke is back the better but that doesn't have to occur at the expense of Moore.

OK I'll ask the question then. Out of the current team, who will you drop for Cloke if not Moore?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:59 pm

^ IMHO, Cox will start to get the No.1 defender soon enough. It could mean he loses a bit of form and may get rested.

Nothing wrong with that as he's a first year player. These things happen.

So far it doesn't look that way, but people were calling for Moores head a few weeks ago and saying give Cox a game.

Cloke will come back sooner or later. It's a matter of time. Last week was a good step forward for him.

I see massive upside in the three we have. All three tall forwards can ruck some, they can lead and move very well. None of them have Clokes tank and where he is very handy is as a high CHF/wing. Which is where I think he is best.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 15 of 52   

Jump to: