Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random social/critical observations you had today

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:52 am
Post subject: Random social/critical observations you had todayReply with quote

The BBC has a lot of great female comedians and personalities, and TV show characters. The Beloved One perceives a distinct culture within the BBC in this regard, with women not expected to tow any line on appearance or to play second fiddle in the intellect, opinion or age stakes.

In her un-researched perception, this goes noticeably beyond Australian, American and Irish TV, though I have pointed her to the great ABC journalists over the years, such as Maxine McKew.

Just from her recent consumption online which I end up catching in the background (some older shows):
  • QI - many very funny and smart guests
  • Great British Bake-Off - two female comedians host the show, while Mary dominates Paul Hollywood, and not in some old-school "women's domain" way
  • Happy Valley
  • The Fall

And it's not just the BBC, though you get the sense the BBC sets the agenda:

• Broadchurch (one of my Faves - great male and female leads)
  • Unforgotten
  • Vera
See also:

http://www.bustle.com/articles/93442-9-british-tv-shows-that-are-so-full-of-awesome-women-theyll-give-you-all-the
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/the-top-3-british-female-detectives-on-tv.html

Last edited by pietillidie on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I get what this thread is about?

I have plenty of random thoughts every day, but none are critical.

I'm confused.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:50 pm

^Sorry, not "critical" as in "vitally important", "critical" as in "literary criticism" or "social criticism". But not as formal as those; more like passing observations about society.

Not every such observation warrants a separate thread, while the happy/sad/pissed off threads are of a different nature.

I often want to jot down thoughts, but they don't warrant an entire thread.

I just changed the thread title to try clarify it a bit Smile

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Progressives can't handle those they see as 'their own' going off the plantation.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/03/05/trans-lgbt-communities-unhinged-bruce-jenners-ted-cruz-support/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Jenner has said it was harder to come out as Conservative than it was to come out as Trans.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Has anyone ever claimed Caitlyn Jenner as a progressive? Honestly, I just wish everyone would shut up about her. I like to think we can talk about serious issues without having to make reference to some vapid celebrity.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Wokko wrote:
Progressives can't handle those they see as 'their own' going off the plantation.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/03/05/trans-lgbt-communities-unhinged-bruce-jenners-ted-cruz-support/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Jenner has said it was harder to come out as Conservative than it was to come out as Trans.

They're a tolerant bunch! Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 am

I think I need a sex change. Maybe 50/50. Must be great to come home, eat, and fall asleep in a the $£$%^%%$ chair for a couple of hours before bed time.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:24 am

think positive wrote:
I think I need a sex change. Maybe 50/50. Must be great to come home, eat, and fall asleep in a the $£$%^%%$ chair for a couple of hours before bed time.

Sure you don't need a species change? I've got a couple of West Highland White Terriers who do that every night.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Sure you don't need a species change? I've got a couple of West Highland White Terriers who do that every night.

Id be e a "good dog". As long as I'm not a bitch!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:46 am

I was listening to a commercial radio station in Perth the other day. That song Gold digger comes on, I ask the missus, "who sings this?". Kayne West, so why is the word '[snip]' cut out of the song?
You know the line "I 'aint sayin' she a gold digger, but she 'aint messin' with no broke [snip]".. so why would the edit it like that?

The other song that comes to mind is that one, I don't know who sings it, or what it's called -"I really farked it up this time, didn't I my dear".... that one. They beep out the 'farked'.... why?

Compared to what you see and hear on tv, it's nothing... isn't it?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:47 am

Oh god karmas a bitch, seems he put a couple of cans of coke in the freezer so I could have a scotch and coke to watch the game with- but he was asleep and I was cleaning, and now, I'm cleaning again fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckityfuck
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:48 am

[snip] Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 am

Skids wrote:
I was listening to a commercial radio station in Perth the other day. That song Gold digger comes on, I ask the missus, "who sings this?". Kayne West, so why is the word '[snip]' cut out of the song?
You know the line "I 'aint sayin' she a gold digger, but she 'aint messin' with no broke [snip]".. so why would the edit it like that?

The other song that comes to mind is that one, I don't know who sings it, or what it's called -"I really farked it up this time, didn't I my dear".... that one. They beep out the 'farked'.... why?

Fair point!

I could not name one song he sings, the only thing I know about him is he has a fat arsed horebag wife and he was mean to Taylor swift

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Skids wrote:

i played his song Runaway on the video jukebox in the gym the other day and they've deleted the word shit from the chorus. It ruins the song. But then there'll be other songs on the video jukebox that have the N word in it. It's weird.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Skids wrote:

Mumford and Sons, little lion man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

The radio versions snip out the F word.

For mine, random social observation, so many people nowdays are self absorbed and fkn stupid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: