Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#7 Josh Daicos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
GlovemanGayfer wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I’m really conscious of trying not to judge him as Peter’s son, either marking him hard or too easily as a result. If I compare him to Crocker, I see some similar things. Hard working, plays a role, rarely makes a bad error, but seems unlikely to keep an opposition coach awake at night because he’s is not getting enough impactful possession. At this stage Josh looks a bit like a journeyman player, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I hope he develops into something more. He does seem to have good skills on both sides of his body, which may, in time, become a differentiator for him. It’s easy to forget he is only 19.

At the moment i’d say he is tracking in line with solid expectations. He has not surprised on the upside, that’s all.

I've just had a look at the comparison of stats for the two this year. If you're interested they make remarkable reading. Daicos' stats are significantly more impressive.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=4221&pid2=6319&fid1=S&fid2=S

An even more interesting comparison is between Josh and Stephenson.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=6485&pid2=6319&fid1=S&fid2=S

I wasn’t thinking of stats comparisons, as Daicos plays further up the ground than Crocker (or Stevo) and that makes stats incomparable. It’s more a matter of visible impact and worrying the opposition. I know that Stephenson worries oppo coaches. Neither Daicos or Crocker would. They do a job, but they’re not really influencing games yet.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:08 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
I’m tipping Peters first 10 games weren’t as good as his last couple hundred either.
What you look for is a slow but constant improvement over the season and that’s what Josh is doing. Big game and a big stage and played ok on the day.
Personally, I reckon he’s tracking nicely.
He has the tools, it will just all come down to how much he wants it and hard he is prepared to work to achieve it.

If you were there when Peter played his first senior game you may think differently. He was the next big thing even before his first game. Lou Richards tipped him to win a Brownlow when he had only played a few games in the reserves. He was a highly skilled midfielder with moves and kicking skills unlike anyone else and they were on display right from his first game, which was a 178 point thumping of St Kilda at Vic Park. In the days when stats actually meant something he had, from memory, something like 30 quality possessions in that game. Remember that this was the agile pre injury Daicos, not slowed down by knee recos or stress fractures in the feet. Those that aren't old enough to have seen Daicos full career have really missed out on something special as since then we haven't had a player that approaches the "buzz" that he generated when he got the ball.

Ha, yeah I knew someone would retort with something like that.

It’s a fair point but I’m sure you know what I mean. Peter came into the game ready made back then but it’s also a very different game now.
The modern game requires so much fitness, you virtually need 3/4 preseasons before you’re up with the tempo required to get a few kicks.

Put it this way, I’m pretty sure Peter didn’t kick 13 goals in any of his first ten games 😉
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
I’m tipping Peters first 10 games weren’t as good as his last couple hundred either.
What you look for is a slow but constant improvement over the season and that’s what Josh is doing. Big game and a big stage and played ok on the day.
Personally, I reckon he’s tracking nicely.
He has the tools, it will just all come down to how much he wants it and hard he is prepared to work to achieve it.

If you were there when Peter played his first senior game you may think differently. He was the next big thing even before his first game. Lou Richards tipped him to win a Brownlow when he had only played a few games in the reserves. He was a highly skilled midfielder with moves and kicking skills unlike anyone else and they were on display right from his first game, which was a 178 point thumping of St Kilda at Vic Park. In the days when stats actually meant something he had, from memory, something like 30 quality possessions in that game. Remember that this was the agile pre injury Daicos, not slowed down by knee recos or stress fractures in the feet. Those that aren't old enough to have seen Daicos full career have really missed out on something special as since then we haven't had a player that approaches the "buzz" that he generated when he got the ball.

Ha, yeah I knew someone would retort with something like that.

It’s a fair point but I’m sure you know what I mean. Peter came into the game ready made back then but it’s also a very different game now.
The modern game requires so much fitness, you virtually need 3/4 preseasons before you’re up with the tempo required to get a few kicks.

Put it this way, I’m pretty sure Peter didn’t kick 13 goals in any of his first ten games 😉

There were only 11 other teams then and none of them were the Bears!

I agree though that the game is so much harder now in terms of fitness requirements. Stephenson has had an immediate impact as apart from good football IQ he has that explosive speed that enables him to play deep forward. Daicos is on the right path and I am not critical of him at all. Look at how long it has taken WHE to become a consistent player.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:20 pm

^

Peter played 6 games in 1979, same number that Josh has played in 2018.

In this 6 games, Peter averaged 13 disposals per game and kicked a total of 2 goals 10 behinds

In Josh's 6 games this year, he's averaged 15 disposals per game and has kicked a total of 3 goals 1.

Mind you, Peter was 17 in 1979, turning 18 in September that year and Josh is 19 now, turning 20 later this year.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 pm

I didn't notice it at the ground, but did Daicos do a tagging job on Saad?

Some supporters are saying he did, but I can't clarify one way or another.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm

For a 19 year old taken at pick 57 and 8 games under his belt, I think he's doing well.

If he wasn't the son of the Macedonian Marvel, would we be having this conversation?

You can compare him to Steele, you can compare him to Stephenson. But they were high picks.

Right now, he's in the team and doing what he needs to do. I'd say the signs are very positive.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 pm

I'd keep him in until Elliott returns.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:59 pm

I actually judge him less harshly because of his name. I just love having a DAICOS running around in black n white again.
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 pm

Ignoring the name, I like him as a player. He is typically clean, has some tricks, and has good work ethic. Not sure about being a future super star, but I'm confident he will be a solid League player for us at least.

Would like to see him hit the F&C crumb at pace more often.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:59 pm

It is always hard to be the son of a father who is a legend in the same field.

Teddy Whitten Junior would be remembered as being one of the better Bulldogs players of his time if his name had been Teddy Smith, instead he is remembered as being nowhere near as good as his old man.

Gary Ablett Junior has worked very hard to establish a career outside of his father's shadow, but despite the younger player's two Brownlows, any of us who have seen both Ablett's play know that Gary Senior was a far more brilliant player. (Gary Junior is almost certainly a better human being but that is not relevant to the discussion)

I think that Josh will develop into a fine player although probably not as good as his dad. If it comes to that Darcy Moore won't win two Brownlows the way his dad did either. But I am very glad to have both of them playing with Pies.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 am

Young Daicos shows elite handball skills, something hid Dad didn't do much unless to himself. Another preseason, 10 more games and with Stevo, JDG etc improving even more to scare the bejeesus out of opposition I expect next year he will be a weapon.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 am

5 goals from the wing on debut, I was also at Daics's first game. He looked special from the first moment.
Young Josh hasn't had a great impact yet, but I believe he will.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 am

Dr Pie wrote:
It is always hard to be the son of a father who is a legend in the same field.

Teddy Whitten Junior would be remembered as being one of the better Bulldogs players of his time if his name had been Teddy Smith, instead he is remembered as being nowhere near as good as his old man.

Gary Ablett Junior has worked very hard to establish a career outside of his father's shadow, but despite the younger player's two Brownlows, any of us who have seen both Ablett's play know that Gary Senior was a far more brilliant player. (Gary Junior is almost certainly a better human being but that is not relevant to the discussion)

I think that Josh will develop into a fine player although probably not as good as his dad. If it comes to that Darcy Moore won't win two Brownlows the way his dad did either. But I am very glad to have both of them playing with Pies.

Interesting. I saw a fair bit of both Abletts.

Senior was awesome and unbeatable on his day, but had plenty of very quiet ones too.

Junior is/was a model of consistency , work ethic, more team orientated and brilliant moments at his best.

I'd take Ablett Junior every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Agree, Ronrat, his hand skills are sublime. I'm less sold on his kicking, however. It feels weird to tense up when a player named Daicos goes to kick the ball. I'm sure he'll improve in that area as he continues to develop.

Maybe his dad could give him one of those Peter Daicos GoalMaster footys to practise with...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Harrysz wrote:
5 goals from the wing on debut, I was also at Daics's first game. He looked special from the first moment.
Young Josh hasn't had a great impact yet, but I believe he will.

Ricky Barham against the Hawks at Princes Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21   

Jump to: