Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#7 Josh Daicos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:24 am
Post subject: Josh (son of Peter) DaicosReply with quote

I've been really interested by some of the negative opinions expressed by people regarding the development of Josh (son of Peter).

From what i've seen he is an incredibly hard working young player who despite his small stature loves to tackle and when he does have the ball uses it well. This season he averages a little under 16 possessions, a touch over 3 tackles and 2 inside fifties a game.

I think that Josh (son of Peter) is the victim of some very harsh marking based on the fact that he is fact that he is the son of a club legend who played the game like few others could and also because of the impact of Jaidyn Stephenson as a rookie.

My question is if Josh's last name had been Brown (like Cal and Tyler) rather than Daicos whether people would be more impressed by his start and work ethic? Further to this I suppose is the broader pressure placed on father son picks to be just like their father in playing style or impact. I can only imagine that being the son of Daic's was a significant pressure on Josh developing as a junior. Similarly being a Brown boys must come with the "hard" tag firmly attached which again would be very difficult to shift.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of others as to his development but also to where we see his position long term?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think has been a bit anonymous. Getting some of the ball but not having a highly visible impact.

Yesterday he did make two excellent tackles though. One resulting in a goal and the other stopping an Essendon transition in its tracks.

He's not overly quick but does work hard and puts on good pressure. Like him and Callum Brown, they both seem to have a great attitude and clearly look like AFL players.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for letting us know he is the son of Peter.

I don't think he attracts any more negativity than any other young player finding his way. The expectation may be a little higher but as a whole I think we are pretty supportive of the lad.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:33 am

I’m really conscious of trying not to judge him as Peter’s son, either marking him hard or too easily as a result. If I compare him to Crocker, I see some similar things. Hard working, plays a role, rarely makes a bad error, but seems unlikely to keep an opposition coach awake at night because he’s is not getting enough impactful possession. At this stage Josh looks a bit like a journeyman player, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I hope he develops into something more. He does seem to have good skills on both sides of his body, which may, in time, become a differentiator for him. It’s easy to forget he is only 19.

At the moment i’d say he is tracking in line with solid expectations. He has not surprised on the upside, that’s all.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 am

I don't think anyone has been terribly hard on him - its not like some of the Blair comments out there. IMO he is AFL ready and does the job in front of him - but nothing more. He is not known for winning his own ball or turning over play to our advantage. He's kicking and work ethic seem to be right up there however. He doesn't fluster from what I can tell and delivers the ball more accurately than most in the team.
If he had a different surname I expect he would have gotten his first game later but right now he is a good addition without being indispensable.
Also that x-factor may develop in time as he expands on his skills.

he's a keeper

GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am

glasseyevfx wrote:
I don't think anyone has been terribly hard on him - its not like some of the Blair comments out there. IMO he is AFL ready and does the job in front of him - but nothing more. He is not known for winning his own ball or turning over play to our advantage. He's kicking and work ethic seem to be right up there however. He doesn't fluster from what I can tell and delivers the ball more accurately than most in the team.
If he had a different surname I expect he would have gotten his first game later but right now he is a good addition without being indispensable.
Also that x-factor may develop in time as he expands on his skills.

he's a keeper

Sorry to clarify there seems to be polarised opinions of him. Some are impressed by the effort alone others that he doesn't do enough.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:42 am

Mugwump wrote:
I’m really conscious of trying not to judge him as Peter’s son, either marking him hard or too easily as a result. If I compare him to Crocker, I see some similar things. Hard working, plays a role, rarely makes a bad error, but seems unlikely to keep an opposition coach awake at night because he’s is not getting enough impactful possession. At this stage Josh looks a bit like a journeyman player, and there is nothing wrong with that, but I hope he develops into something more. He does seem to have good skills on both sides of his body, which may, in time, become a differentiator for him. It’s easy to forget he is only 19.

At the moment i’d say he is tracking in line with solid expectations. He has not surprised on the upside, that’s all.

I've just had a look at the comparison of stats for the two this year. If you're interested they make remarkable reading. Daicos' stats are significantly more impressive.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=4221&pid2=6319&fid1=S&fid2=S
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 am

I judge him more harshly that others simply because I cannot help but compare him to his father. If I put that aside though I see a player that was selected to play in the senior team when perhaps he was not ready to do so, and would not be doing so, if there had not been many players unavailable over the last few years due to injury. Nevertheless, he is improving, he has nice skills, and I expect him to become a good player in his own right over the coming seasons.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 am

I've said it before, the kid clearly has talent. It is unreasonable, by any measure, to expect more from him than anyone else simply because of lineage.
I think he is tracking well and the experience he gains, particularly from games like that against Essendon, will serve him well.
I suspect he will improve and be a gun after he gets 40-50 games and a couple of pre-seasons under his belt.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am

Abdul The Bull wrote:
I've said it before, the kid clearly has talent. It is unreasonable, by any measure, to expect more from him than anyone else simply because of lineage.
I think he is tracking well and the experience he gains, particularly from games like that against Essendon, will serve him well.
I suspect he will improve and be a gun after he gets 40-50 games and a couple of pre-seasons under his belt.

Yep. He is still only 19.....

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am

GlovemanGayfer wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I've just had a look at the comparison of stats for the two this year. If you're interested they make remarkable reading. Daicos' stats are significantly more impressive.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=4221&pid2=6319&fid1=S&fid2=S

An even more interesting comparison is between Josh and Stephenson.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=6485&pid2=6319&fid1=S&fid2=S

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 am

I’m tipping Peters first 10 games weren’t as good as his last couple hundred either.
What you look for is a slow but constant improvement over the season and that’s what Josh is doing. Big game and a big stage and played ok on the day.
Personally, I reckon he’s tracking nicely.
He has the tools, it will just all come down to how much he wants it and hard he is prepared to work to achieve it.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 am

Had his best game for the club yesterday IMO.

He's been very clean with his disposal and is clearly a smart player, my main knock on him was his pressure and intensity at the contest but he really brought that yesterday, landing a couple of really solid tackles in important areas of the ground.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am

Will be a good player one day.
The injuries have meant he is getting more games than what
he would get in a normal year.
Still prefer Brown to Daicos at this point in time.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I’m tipping Peters first 10 games weren’t as good as his last couple hundred either.
What you look for is a slow but constant improvement over the season and that’s what Josh is doing. Big game and a big stage and played ok on the day.
Personally, I reckon he’s tracking nicely.
He has the tools, it will just all come down to how much he wants it and hard he is prepared to work to achieve it.

If you were there when Peter played his first senior game you may think differently. He was the next big thing even before his first game. Lou Richards tipped him to win a Brownlow when he had only played a few games in the reserves. He was a highly skilled midfielder with moves and kicking skills unlike anyone else and they were on display right from his first game, which was a 178 point thumping of St Kilda at Vic Park. In the days when stats actually meant something he had, from memory, something like 30 quality possessions in that game. Remember that this was the agile pre injury Daicos, not slowed down by knee recos or stress fractures in the feet. Those that aren't old enough to have seen Daicos full career have really missed out on something special as since then we haven't had a player that approaches the "buzz" that he generated when he got the ball.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21   

Jump to: