Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#7 Josh Daicos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did that goal guarantee us the victory but apparently somewhere throughout the course of its projectory, it also proves Buckley can’t coach.
That’s quite a kick !
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 pm

Josh Daicos should be dropped for failing to adhere to the team game plan of handballing to a team mate under immense pressure or turning the ball over by foot with a dodgy short pass. Shame on him for taking the game on and using his instincts.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:54 pm

he has certainly passed Callum Brown at this point (which wasnt true for a long time). He is starting to look like he brings an intangible to the game that will make him valuable long term. He actually has a bit of Steele Sidebottom about him in my opinion (long way to go to deserve that comparison).

starting to like what i am seeing and thinking he could actually be in the best 22 of a true premiership contender.

by the way, will we havew 22 to put on the park next week.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Another thing that struck me about Josh's game last night was how comfortable he looked out there. Never seem flustered at all.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Is having a great year! That goal was something else.

He is getting quite a nice Daicos mullet too.
Wear it with pride Josh!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:00 pm

He had to improve to remain in our list this year. Hopefully as he grows in confidence and gets physically stronger, he will become a more consistent contributor. He certainly has the skills......wonder where he got those from?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
He had to improve to remain in our list this year. Hopefully as he grows in confidence and gets physically stronger, he will become a more consistent contributor. He certainly has the skills......wonder where he got those from?

Seriously? There are many other players delistable before Josh even if he regresses a little.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:05 pm

What really impressed me was not only the goal, but also how he stood up in the last 6 minutes when the game was on the line.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 am

I moved from Melbourne to Canberra as an 11 year old in 1980. I grew up in a strong Collingwood family, as Great Uncle Jack Shorten (60 games at CHB) played in the 1910 Grand Final (our only GF win over Carlton) and ended up with an 18 month suspension for his one punch part in a fight.

We had 2 Tv stations. One commercial station showed match of the week on the Saturday, which gave me a one in 6 chance of seeing the pies play, and the ABC who showed the winners on the Sunday evening, which meant I got to see Peter Daicos kick goal of the week or be involved in play of the day every second week or so- or more often.

More than anything else, the grind of this low scoring season has emphasised to me how spoilt I was in the 80's and early 90's. I tried to explain to my kids last night how much easier I had it to fall in love with the pies when i had the chance some weeks to see a goal of the quality of last night's sometimes 3 times in a match!

If you were able to somehow "antique" the footage and pixelate the face, it wouldn't be hard to convince people that was one of Peter's efforts last night.

Imagine the pressure of expectation on Josh to know the father you're following is Peter Daicos and your younger brother is touted as a number 1 draft pick! I really admire what I've seen of his temperament from a distance.

I could (and should) write a longer post about Jack's story, but a quick precis- We found a 100 year old photo of his in military uniform in 2015 with the note on the back " Yours sincerely J F Shore, J F Shorten" so I looked up the military record for J F Shore and it was amazing. He was involved in the first wave of attacks on April 25 at Gallipoli, fought at Pozieries and returned home in 1919.

Due to the name change, Collingwood was unaware of his war involvement and were quite keen to hear the story. In 2015 we were invited by the Essendon Football Club (home team) to attend their pre game Anzac day event and speak about his story. In 2016, my mother and Auntie handed the ball to the umpires pre game, and we got to watch Mason Cox kick his first goal from the Presidents lunch.

In 2018- the next Pies home ANZAC day game, My cousin and I were able to hand the ball to the umpires, which also meant having a good chat and a laugh while waiting, with Dermott Brereton about him sharing a spot on the top ten list of most suspended players with Uncle Jack!

The point of this background is that back in the luncheon in 2018, I managed to have a 5 minute chat with Peter. He couldn't have been any more personable and I didn't for a second feel like I was just another idiot he'd had to deal with. When I remember that, I get the strong impression that he would be the perfect Dad to keep his kids grounded and not overwhelmed.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:24 am

Josh just needs to get the tongue hanging out when he kicks and he will be his old man
Stinga 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:
I moved from Melbourne to Canberra as an 11 year old in 1980. I grew up in a strong Collingwood family, as Great Uncle Jack Shorten (60 games at CHB) played in the 1910 Grand Final (our only GF win over Carlton) and ended up with an 18 month suspension for his one punch part in a fight.

We had 2 Tv stations. One commercial station showed match of the week on the Saturday, which gave me a one in 6 chance of seeing the pies play, and the ABC who showed the winners on the Sunday evening, which meant I got to see Peter Daicos kick goal of the week or be involved in play of the day every second week or so- or more often.

More than anything else, the grind of this low scoring season has emphasised to me how spoilt I was in the 80's and early 90's. I tried to explain to my kids last night how much easier I had it to fall in love with the pies when i had the chance some weeks to see a goal of the quality of last night's sometimes 3 times in a match!

If you were able to somehow "antique" the footage and pixelate the face, it wouldn't be hard to convince people that was one of Peter's efforts last night.

Imagine the pressure of expectation on Josh to know the father you're following is Peter Daicos and your younger brother is touted as a number 1 draft pick! I really admire what I've seen of his temperament from a distance.

I could (and should) write a longer post about Jack's story, but a quick precis- We found a 100 year old photo of his in military uniform in 2015 with the note on the back " Yours sincerely J F Shore, J F Shorten" so I looked up the military record for J F Shore and it was amazing. He was involved in the first wave of attacks on April 25 at Gallipoli, fought at Pozieries and returned home in 1919.

Due to the name change, Collingwood was unaware of his war involvement and were quite keen to hear the story. In 2015 we were invited by the Essendon Football Club (home team) to attend their pre game Anzac day event and speak about his story. In 2016, my mother and Auntie handed the ball to the umpires pre game, and we got to watch Mason Cox kick his first goal from the Presidents lunch.

In 2018- the next Pies home ANZAC day game, My cousin and I were able to hand the ball to the umpires, which also meant having a good chat and a laugh while waiting, with Dermott Brereton about him sharing a spot on the top ten list of most suspended players with Uncle Jack!

The point of this background is that back in the luncheon in 2018, I managed to have a 5 minute chat with Peter. He couldn't have been any more personable and I didn't for a second feel like I was just another idiot he'd had to deal with. When I remember that, I get the strong impression that he would be the perfect Dad to keep his kids grounded and not overwhelmed.

Great yarn, Uncle Jack about your Uncle Jack. It sounds like a great story, you should write a longer more detailed piece on his story, get it up on the Footy Almanac or even on the Pies website for next year's Anzac Day commemoration.

As for Daics Snr, you are spot on with both the on-field pleasure he provided us all, and his humble and engaging off field demeanour. I had the great fortune of getting to know him through work in the early mid 2000s and he was one of the most genuine best down to earth blokes you could ever meet. A superstar on and off the field.
Ryder Stand 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:50 pm

What I like about Josh is that he , unlike a lot of his teammates, is not afraid to take a shot .
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Skills and ability from his Dad, looks from his mum.

He should count himself a very lucky boy on both counts.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

No. He has the John Blakely type of "job security" until Brother Nick turns up in season 2022.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am

Uncle Jack. Great story and I can understand the thrill of holding a ball or any piece of Collingwood history

My ex wife’s cousin Gary was a Collingwood supporter and born same year (1946) as the ex

There was after the 1958 Grand Final a contest in a newspaper (think Herald)
which in 25 words why should have the ball used in 1958 Grand Final last quarter—-Gary won the contest and my first meeting with the family we chatted on all things Collingwood then Gary brought the ball out and hand passed it to me. One of my greatest moments to hold it and remember I saw that ball being kicked to a glorious victory

This was 1965 and I’ve lost contact with Gaz and wonder if his kids are Pie supporters and held that piece of history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 11 of 21   

Jump to: