Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Racist banner at the Collingwood game tonight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
What did they do wrong, exactly? Have you seen any media reportage trying to pin this on Collingwood? If anything, Collingwood has largely been praised over their response to this incident. I don't think anyone's dumb enough to argue that this is some kind of reflection on our supporter base.

How many people read that? A lot will just see that picture, maybe a picture of the girls standing up to the perps?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:42 pm

think positive wrote:
How about a shout out to the shit media? How come they focussed on the sign, and the <snip>heads instead of the female Collingwood fans that told him off, and the Collingwood fans who joined in and ripped the banner down, but hey that doesn't fit the profile does it?? The media are absolute scum of the worst kind
The media never let the truth get in the way of a good story. The media can be blamed for most of the crap that transpires in society. They want violence, deaths, horror and anything that shocks people as that is news. They could not give a crap if ten people died in a train crash. It's all about ratings.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Culprit wrote:
think positive wrote:
How about a shout out to the shit media? How come they focussed on the sign, and the <snip>heads instead of the female Collingwood fans that told him off, and the Collingwood fans who joined in and ripped the banner down, but hey that doesn't fit the profile does it?? The media are absolute scum of the worst kind
The media never let the truth get in the way of a good story. The media can be blamed for most of the crap that transpires in society. They want violence, deaths, horror and anything that shocks people as that is news. They could not give a crap if ten people died in a train crash. It's all about ratings.

Yep, totally agree, for the most part they are a special breed!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:17 pm

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
There is no plausible basis for objecting to the building of a mosque unless that basis would apply equally to the building of a church in the same location.

This is not open to debate.

I don't agree. My last house was next to a catholic school and church, plenty objected to the car parking problem, (it had to be seen to be believed) and also holding big funerals during school hours (primary school). A temple was built in Altona north recently, and there was a lot of objection, it's not a mosque, can't remember what it is, but they usually build big ugly sparkly noisy things, though I have to say I find it quite aesthetic! But then I don't live there. If a new public building of any description is being plunked in a town, the people who live there should have a say in it.

It's only about religion if you see it that way. Putting the nazi symbol on the sign would do that as they did with the UPF thing, which I've never heard of before.

My problem with the sign is its footy, get your political shit out of there, and secondly, don't speak in my name, and as a Collingwood member, they did.

How is any of that in response to my post?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:34 pm

^

To summarise for you since your clerks have left for the day, putting any building that attracts public access like a church (of any denomination) in a residential area creates issues for the residents and is therefore unpopular amongst said residents.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:27 am

The banner got mentioned last night on that quality show ACA Shocked People are against the Mosque being built for various reasons of which many I don't agree with other than it is fugly. In saying that if over 4000 residents sign a petition saying "No" and the Council ignores this; then those elected do not represent their electorate. The people feel ignored and will do anything to make a statement. Including sending out the people's front of united or the united people's front with a banner to attract attention. Freedom of speech is being bandied around here and in the US Elections. Muslims are copping heaps from major political figures to point score and when an act of Terrorism occurs linked to Muslims the media push the horror and fear which builds the hatred and fear among the certain sections of society. And people wonder why we have banners like this placed at a major sporting event. As I said previously, get used to it. Anyone with an Agenda will be doing this going forward.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

To summarise for you since your clerks have left for the day, putting any building that attracts public access like a church (of any denomination) in a residential area creates issues for the residents and is therefore unpopular amongst said residents.

Yes - but that cannot possibly justify a call to "stop the Mosques"? It may justify a call to "stop all new places of worship in residential areas" but that was my previous point.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:30 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Yes - but that cannot possibly justify a call to "stop the Mosques"? It may justify a call to "stop all new places of worship in residential areas" but that was my previous point.

If it said stop the churches?
Your reaction would be?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:33 am

Then again, it may not.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:56 am

think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Your reaction would be?

It would be equally unacceptable. But it would be less of a concern because (and only because) I'm not aware of any serious drive to ban churches.

As I keep saying, context is everything - a demand to "stop the mosques" is problematic because we know that there a whole lot of fruitcakes out there who genuinely want it to happen. And let's not be disingenuous about this - residential amenity impacts are always very localised. If 4,000 people object to a mosque on planning grounds, you can be absolutely certain that about 20 (at most) of the objectors have valid concerns about parking and other residential amenity issues and the other 3,980 just don't want Muslims anywhere near them. If any of you can't see that, the anti-Muslim propaganda is obviously working.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Your reaction would be?

It would be equally unacceptable. But it would be less of a concern because (and only because) I'm not aware of any serious drive to ban churches.

As I keep saying, context is everything - a demand to "stop the mosques" is problematic because we know that there a whole lot of fruitcakes out there who genuinely want it to happen. And let's not be disingenuous about this - residential amenity impacts are always very localised. If 4,000 people object to a mosque on planning grounds, you can be absolutely certain that about 20 (at most) of the objectors have valid concerns about parking and other residential amenity issues and the other 3,980 just don't want Muslims anywhere near them. If any of you can't see that, the anti-Muslim propaganda is obviously working.

no i can see that,

i was just pointing out your absolute was not quite, absolute!!

interesting article on acceptability of the ridicule of some religions vs others

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/jensen-is-hopoate%27s-mormon-faith-fair-game-for-ridicule/7299158

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:00 pm

That's a mostly good but confused article, particularly when he goes down the road of arguing that some religions deserve more respect than others. If the Aztec faith still existed, complete with child sacrifice, its proponents in Australia would be entitled to the same religious freedoms as everyone else – provided, of course, that they didn't break our laws by actually sacrificing kids.

At the end of the day, it's not religions that we need to respect; it's the practitioners.

In regard to the Mormon player, he's entitled to ask not to play on his religion's holy day. I think the club is also entitled to ask whether he's worth keeping on the list given those conditions which, to be fair, are pretty onerous given that his team probably plays close to half their matches on Sunday. But if they're cool with it, what's the problem?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Look, I have lived in Bendigo since 1979 and it is only a very tiny minority (most of them from outside Bendigo incidentally) that don’t want the Mosque built here. I have so far seen no logical or rational reasons for ANY building (Mosque, Buddhist/Hindu Temple, Church, Pub, Bank, Clubhouse, whatever) not to be at the location slightly away from central Bendigo in fact. It is in a rural setting.
Rampant bloody Islamaphobia and pure bigotry play a much bigger role here in Bendigo and I'm yet to confront much intelligence from any of these so called protesters. I call them absolute brainless wankers which is far more apt.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I didn't say it did justify a call to stop mosques. I was simply explaining TP's response to your post which stated there is no plausible objection to the building of A (not all) mosques unless that basis would apply................etc.

She replied to that post, you asked how it was in response, I summarised for you so to explain.

To clarify my personal feelings on the matter, I believe in freedom of religion and have no problem with the building of any places of worship for any denomination provided the appropriate planning mechanisms are put in place.

In short, I don't believe building mosques should be banned at all.

I do have serious concerns about the basis of Islam, as I've outlined elsewhere, and concerns at how it's preached and interpreted as it lends itself readily to radicalism more than most other religions, but trying to ban the religion or it's practice or places of worship isn't the answer. Neither is bending over and pandering to them and validating the persecution complex.

The answer lies somewhere around being firm with boundaries. Any and all religions are tolerated in the true sense and are free to be practiced provided it's practitioners remember that we aren't going to change society to suit them, they need to adapt and get the balance right so they can practice their religion without being in conflict with the law or general society.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

One unfurled at Boobiaco last night. People were evicted pretty quick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: