Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Racist banner at the Collingwood game tonight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morons as we don't need that Crap Footy and Disgusting they brought the Club into it
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:53 am

Skids wrote:
Like i said..VPT.

I agree.....couldn't give the slightest....

The bleeding hearts annoy me as much as the debate.

Preaching tolerance whilst being comprehensively intolerant doesn't make you just.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:56 am

Footy should not be about politics, yet I bet the people upset about this banner fully supported Goodes and his on field nonsense
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Footy should not be about politics, yet I bet the people upset about this banner fully supported Goodes and his on field nonsense

I hate politics and sports colliding with one another. I don't like what I saw tonight and I wouldn't like it either if it was a banner supporting a 'progressive' cause such as supporting refugees or advocating for gay marriage for example.

If you're passionate about a political cause, then go to a proper protest or write about your opinions on a blog or a political forum. There are other ways to have you views heard.

lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:03 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Bingo!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:08 am

schuey07 wrote:
David wrote:
Correct. They have a right to be bigoted tossers. Don't think anyone wants that crap at the football, though.

I don't agree with what they say, but they have the right to say it. I'm an atheist, in my opinion the sooner we leave religion behind us as species the better off we will be.

Sort of like the saying that mistakenly gets attributed to Voltaire.

At the footy? FFS.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 am

mandy wrote:
Jayel wrote:
Oh WOW!! What an over-reaction...... People gave their life for our right to have free speech. The only problem I have with that banner is "GO PIES", because that may link our club to their beliefs. Aside from that, I have no problem whatsoever. The forum is fine, they are trying to get maximum exposure. They have broken NO laws and their protest is passive and non-offensive. Live and let live. Remember our catch cry..... SIDE BY SIDE!.... Live and let live and love your Brothers & Sisters.

I was offended. And going just by this thread others were too.

+1. People do have the right to be morons unfortunately.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:20 am

yin-YANG wrote:
I am not sure how such a pathetic banner is considered political? or free speech? It is just hateful garbage and quid stupid how dare they use Collingwood and the footy to spread their ignorant BS! I with Eddie ban em!

Exactly. Morons who hide behind the banner of free speech & selective if not ill informed misuse of patriotism when it is an obvious bigoted view simply to express anti-muslim sentiments.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:22 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Morons as we don't need that Crap ...and Disgusting they brought the Club into it

Correct weight DTM. Nail hit head.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 am

swoop42 wrote:
NOT IN MY NAME.

+1.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:53 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Haha so bloody true that!

I wasn't offended, since I'm not a mosque user, but I just don't like seeing shit like that at the footy, and certainly not with my teams name on it. People making political statements should speak for themselves only, (embarrassed a better word than offended) and it doesn't belong in footy. Funny, I didn't like seeing Goodes spear shit, either, and that made me a racist apparently! Some here wanting their cake and to eat it!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:53 am

ronrat wrote:
Just the sort of thing that fired up Houli who had a bloody picnic.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was the target, to be honest. Only Muslim player in the AFL, if I recall correctly. Coincidence that they picked this game?

As for Goodes, my problem isn't necessarily political protest at the football per se. I don't put this in the same category as a "free the refugees" or "gay pride" sign. This is just blatant anti-Muslim bigotry, and that makes it much worse and much more inappropriate IMO.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:43 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:

Not me.

#SIDEBYSIDE
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Jezza wrote:
Woods Of Ypres wrote:

I hate politics and sports colliding with one another. I don't like what I saw tonight and I wouldn't like it either if it was a banner supporting a 'progressive' cause such as supporting refugees or advocating for gay marriage for example.

If you're passionate about a political cause, then go to a proper protest or write about your opinions on a blog or a political forum. There are other ways to have you views heard.

Interesting you skirt around the very topic that came to mind with this.

Would there be the same outcry if it WAS a politically correct topic?

If the banner said "Close Manus Island" or "Free the refugees", these are both political topics, ones that many people would not support but progressives would.

Is the outcry really about racism (when Muslims aren't a race anyway) or hate speech or just about silencing a dissenting viewpoint?

I don't agree with their message and I don't think the footy should be used as a platform for political or other protests, but that famous quote misattributed to Voltaire comes to mind.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Straight to the periphery of the problem there, Stui. The issue here is not that a "political incorrect" view is being expressed but that a vile prejudice that no responsible human being should ever feel entitled to utter aloud is being expressed. There is legitimate room for debate about the treatment of refugees. A comparable banner might be "Decrease the tax on mining royalties" - that would be a political message with which I would entirely disagree but would consider quite acceptable.

There is no such thing as "politically correct" - it is just a label that people who can't think clearly use to justify continuing to hold untenable views and assert the right to express them, even when they've been debunked. Like a lot of labelling, it's used as a substitute for critical thought.

I reserve the right to mock and laugh publicly at people who believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden, under whatever guise, but would it be permissible for me to put up a "Close the Churches" banner?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14   

Jump to: