Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should all beaches be clothing-optional?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your thoughts on nude swimming?
It should be allowed at all beaches
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
It shouldn't be allowed at all beaches, but there should be more places where it's acceptable
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
The current state of affairs is fine
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
It shouldn't be allowed on any public beach
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:27 pm
Post subject: Should all beaches be clothing-optional?Reply with quote

You may be alarmed to know that I've recently discovered a passion for nude swimming. Like most people, I was initially excited by the idea of doing something a bit weird and transgressive; as it turns out, it just feels so much nicer and more natural than swimming in a pair of board shorts. When I did it for the first time, I found myself wondering why everybody didn't do it.

Of course, as the law stands, it's illegal to swim naked on pretty much every beach in Australia. The number of designated clothing-optional beaches (official or unofficial) in the entire country probably numbers somewhere between 10 and 20.

They're not always easy to get to, either. If you're in Byron Bay, you're in luck: there's a beautiful, expansive beach over a hill to the north of the town. If you're in Queensland, you're out of luck. If you're in Melbourne, you're in for a 90 minute trip to either the backwoods of Geelong (Torquay) or Sunnyside Beach in Mount Martha, which is a grueling 10 minute walk over rocks from the carpark (not easy with a baby). When you get there, the place is ringed by steep cliffs and barbed wire. It's not really the most inviting place—it kind of feels like some nudist ghetto. Ironically, when Lola and I were there on Monday afternoon, there were scores of people there (while the much nicer and easier-to-get-to main beach was practically deserted). Does it have to be so difficult to have an unattired swim?

Of course, perhaps I should be thankful that any of these beaches exist at all. This was not always the case: in the '70s and early '80s, local campaigns led to a few beaches being declared clothing-optional. What the activists hoped for, I'm guessing, is that this would be the tip of the iceberg; that, in time, all Australian beaches would eventually be made clothing-optional. Instead, for 30 years, there's been no progress whatsoever, with some of the beaches becoming overgrown and unusable and others becoming primarily gay pick-up spots. The taboo against nudity on mainstream beaches is as strong as ever: even quickly undressing and getting into your swimsuit, as Lola often does on regular beaches, could still potentially result in a fine if you ran into a police officer having a bad day.

I have to confess that I don't quite understand why this should be the case. Nobody is forced to undress at a clothing-optional beach. If you're a prude, or feel uncomfortable being naked in the company you're in or because of your body shape or because of your religion or because you just like swimming in fabric, you don't have to change your habits at all. But, by the same token, those who want to be naked should be able to be. If you don't like it, don't look. People who are offended/disgusted by speedos or bikinis already exercise their right to look elsewhere; why should nudity be any different?

Perhaps some people are worried that this will turn regular beaches into sexual free-for-alls. On the contrary: public sexual behaviour is arguably more taboo on nude beaches, not less so (and the transformation of some clothing-optional beaches into cruising spots seems to be treated with considerable displeasure by actual nudists). Indecency is still indecency. There will always be voyeurs, just as there are at regular beaches, but making all beaches clothing-optional would make that far less of a problem (as there would no longer be designated beaches for nudists, your chances of going to a given beach and seeing someone naked would be considerably reduced). The same thing would happen to the cruisers, who could perhaps be left to enjoy the more secluded spots on their own.

Honestly, I'm not sure that there's a single good reason why nude swimming shouldn't be permitted at all beaches. It's natural, healthy, and probably only offends the most uptight (not a quality Australia usually has a reputation for). So, why is it that the status quo is the way it is? Do you support it, and if so, why?

Last edited by David on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case clothing should be compulsory. So we need to add that in as well. Some people should not be seen naked. I am one of them. Embarassed
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Australia not uptight!? We're one of the most socially conservative countries going around.

I feel that I should agree with you, but still feel a bit uneasy. Many people like to raise their kids in a conservative way, and those people wouldn't want their little ones exposed to that (pun intended). Beach going is one of the few totally free family entertainments left and I wouldn't want young families and kids chased away from the beach by waving wangs.

I would suggest that any beach that is not a 'main' beach in a town should be clothing optional and all beaches are 'topless' so sunbathing women couldn't get fined (this may already be the case, not something I've had to think about). Main beaches like Torquay front and surf beaches would remain as 'clothing mandatory'.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Of course. Not just beaches, everywhere.

(Private property aside. You are entitled to require that visitors to property you own dress (or undress) according to the rules you set. It's your place. You decide. If you want to require all visitors to your church / pub / supermarket to wear shoes or hats or nothing or bikie leathers or a burka, that's your business. They can always stay away if they don't like your rule.)

(Wouldn't make any difference to me personally though. I am too wedded to that most wonderful of all civilisation's many inventions: pockets.)

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:08 pm

hmmm... slip, slop, slap takes on a whole new meaning.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Doesn't it ever! I don't think I've ever been so thorough in applying sunscreen—wouldn't want to miss a spot. Crying or Very sad

Wokko wrote:
Many people like to raise their kids in a conservative way, and those people wouldn't want their little ones exposed to that (pun intended). Beach going is one of the few totally free family entertainments left and I wouldn't want young families and kids chased away from the beach by waving wangs.

I guess, but haven't we reached a stage as a society where children aren't really supposed to be growing up ashamed of the human body? I expect they get basic anatomy lessons in primary school sex ed, and I can't imagine most parents are as puritanical about the human body as mine were (most parents I know have quite a relaxed attitude to nudity at home).

I can understand the discomfort, but keeping in mind that sexually inappropriate behaviour would still be just as prohibited as ever, I'm not sure I can really see the problem.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Should all beaches be clothing-optional?Reply with quote

David wrote:

Of course, as the law stands, it's illegal to swim naked on pretty much every beach in Australia. The number of designated clothing-optional beaches (official or unofficial) in the entire country probably numbers somewhere between 10 and 20.

There's actually 37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_nudity_places_in_Oceania

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Many of those are only de facto clothing-optional beaches, and there were reports of arrests at the Queensland ones towards the end of Campbell Newman's reign of terror (as if people needed another reason to vote him out). But I'll confess the total number is a little higher than I thought it would be.

The trouble is that the majority of these beaches are secluded and difficult to get to. Not overly welcoming locations for families or curious first-timers at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:54 pm

David wrote:

They're not always easy to get to, either. If you're in Byron Bay, you're in luck: there's a beautiful, expansive beach over a hill to the north of the town. If you're in Queensland, you're out of luck. If you're in Melbourne, you're in for a 90 minute trip to either the backwoods of Geelong (Torquay) or Sunnyside Beach in Mount Martha, which is a grueling 10 minute walk over rocks from the carpark (not easy with a baby). When you get there, the place is ringed by steep cliffs and barbed wire. It's not really the most inviting place—it kind of feels like some nudist ghetto. Ironically, when Lola and I were there on Monday afternoon, there were scores of people there (while the much nicer and easier-to-get-to main beach was practically deserted). Does it have to be so difficult to have an unattired swim?

Sunnyside is pretty much a gay beat so I'd watch were you step.

There was an area at Port Melbourne and also Williamstown from memory that was very much nude but kept very quiet.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks! Haven't heard of it, but might look into it. Port Melbourne is certainly a lot easier to get to than Mornington. Smile

When we went to Sunnyside, it wasn't a complete sausagefest. Probably about 10-20% women, I reckon.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

1061 wrote:
Sunnyside is pretty much a gay beat so I'd watch were you step.

Even more important on those beaches where they let bloody dogs roam around!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm

This thread is further evidence that David has far too much time on his hands Rolling Eyes Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 pm

Skids wrote:
hmmm... slip, slop, slap takes on a whole new meaning.

Hahahahaahahaha
Clever

Seriously, no, I just don't need to see guys dangly bits. Ugh. Low cut speedos with a six pack, sure. Even fat hairy guts, but sorry, sausages and meat balls are just not attractive.

And no , I don't need to see flaps blowing in the wind either. Or, ugh, droopy tits! Flag waving arms are bad enough!

And as a mum, no I don't want littles around that. Why? Just because.

The human body may be a beautiful machine, but just like an old Holden, you gotta tune the motor, wash the panels, or keep it in the shed!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 pm

watt price tully wrote:
This thread is further evidence that David has far too much time on his hands Rolling Eyes Wink

Yeah, young baby, job, school, nicks, do you sleep David?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Most of Nude Beaches would be a Sausage Fest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13   

Jump to: