Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

THE VPT JUNK DRAWER. The thread you need when you don't.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the donuts there. I had a hotdog for breakfast, usually go the ham and salad roll but this morning was a tad coolish.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Try the donuts!the real ones, not the Spanish ones, I rarely indulge in donuts, but market ones are hard to resist!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 am

Spanish donuts.

I guess they come with extra cream.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 am

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👌🏿
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:20 am

think positive wrote:
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👌🏿

What the hell are those emoticons?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 am

swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👌🏿

What the hell are those emoticons?

Clapping hands and a black ok!

😱🙈🍻🤠🤡👹👽☠️🤖🙀🙏🏻👅👣💄👸🏽👨‍❤️‍👨💏👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👯‍♂️🕺🏻💃🏿🐽🦇🦄🌝🌚🌪🍩🍩🍩🤼‍♀️🤺🏄🏿‍♀️🚴🏿🚀🎠🌋🌠🌆🌉🌃🕌🛁🔮

Essen💊💊💊
Colling🆘Wood
WPT🚳

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Not sure if this is for real or satire. They are basically saying that we shouldn't allow our children to flourish so they stay at the same level as the disadvantaged.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/reading-to-children-at-bedtime-abc-questions-value-of-timehonoured-practice/news-story/e4560b5f36eed53efe9f894c5fa44289

THE ABC has questioned whether parents should read to their children before bedtime, claiming it could give your kids an “unfair advantage” over less fortunate children.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 pm

The original story is much more interesting than that article suggests, though, fair warning, it gets into some pretty deep philosophical territory:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/new-family-values/6437058

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, the tabloid article is unfair on the discussion, and it misrepresents it. However, the philosophers zone discussion is still pretty lamentable. Read it, and look at how deeply saturated it is with Leftist assumptions :

1. The main problem with the family is that it may be unfair, conferring advantages on some and not others (the purpose of life being to find universal equality, apparently)
2. Biological relationships are largely a social and cultural construction.
3. That the family is "a weathered institution ever more in need of a rationale for existing".

Once you start with these types of assumptions, the conclusions (which, naturally, are that there is no normative or ideal family structure, that private schools are bad, and that you should feel occasionally guilty about giving your kid an advantage by reading to it) follow very patly. They are, of course, the standard pot-boiler conclusions of the Left. How convenient for the ABC's core demographic, nodding along on their donkeys.

A different set of philosophical assumptions might, unsurprisingly, lead to a different set of conclusions :

1. Humans do not make this world or themselves ; rather, they are born into it as a product of evolution, which in turn programmes certain instinctual forms of life (e.g. biological attachment) as predisposing to human happiness ;
2. The private family is the keystone of individual liberty, as it is a small piece, and place, of private government where the state is not routinely empowered to intervene
3. Social equality is not the ultimate goal of life. The ultimate goal is maximizing individual welfare in aggregate, and when one person receives love, or excellence or opportunity, another is not diminished by that.

We don't hear much about this alternative set of assumptions on the ABC, however. I wonder why ?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 pm

It's a highly radical view being proposed as a philosophical thought exercise by an interviewee, not 'by the ABC'. Once we get that out of the way, I broadly agree with your arguments whilst retaining some sympathy for the concept of changing the fabric of the family model as we currently know it. If family is an essential institution for the functioning of society, as it may well be, then I think we could do worse than ditching the nuclear family for more of an extended family network, whether that be actual relatives or something more communal.

Either way, nothing wrong with pulling apart all we hold sacred and see what makes it tick – on a philosophy program, it should be a regular exercise.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:42 pm

David wrote:
It's a highly radical view being proposed as a philosophical thought exercise by an interviewee, not 'by the ABC'. Once we get that out of the way, I broadly agree with your arguments whilst retaining some sympathy for the concept of changing the fabric of the family model as we currently know it. If family is an essential institution for the functioning of society, as it may well be, then I think we could do worse than ditching the nuclear family for more of an extended family network, whether that be actual relatives or something more communal.

Either way, nothing wrong with pulling apart all we hold sacred and see what makes it tick – on a philosophy program, it should be a regular exercise.

I tend to agree with your points, including the nuclear vs extended family thing. I know it was not the AbC's opinion, but in my experience the "thought experiments" on the ABC tend to go in the leftward, never the rightward direction, and they are not represented as an ideological exercise but rather as some kind of disinterested truth. Somehow it is assumed that the perspective of the Right is already the consensus, when it clearly is not (look at the balance of opinion on my various Burkean scribblings on here if you doubt that !).

A real philosopher would weigh the different concepts of the family, consider their purpose and meaning and the contingent facts and assumptions which underpin them, and consider all angles before delimiting a framework for deciding on truth. Instead, this was pretty low quality sociology based on the idea that equality matters above all, with conclusions that follow predictably ideology-saturated assumptions.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:31 pm

A car has hit a pole down my way so we have an old fashioned power outage.

Haven't had one for a long while and boy you soon realise how you just take it for granted your electricity supply will work in this country.

Thankfully the stove is on gas so I can make something for tea but seeing the bloody thing will be the problem.

A torch, a few small candles and the light on my phone will have to see me through.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Power back on at 6:30pm.

Man not sure how I survived those 105 minutes.

LOL.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Humanity is doomed. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 pm

The worst part of that is resetting everything!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 13 of 30   

Jump to: