Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Practice Match #3 - Collingwood vs Coburg at Olympic Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Siers sown some nice glimpses

What do glimpses taste like when the plant grows? Razz

Sorry my iPhone & bigger fingers !

Howe must have been reading nicks as he took a ripper , kicked beautifully to Aish who took a speccy & converted on the siren!

Go pies.

A pleasure to meet Magpie Bat

LOL, get an Android Razz

And yeah, bat bird is a goodun and only half as ugly as you'd think. Wink

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Aish was BOG
Dave The Man Scorpio

Aish was BOG
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

Thanks for the call, lads.

I suppose it's no good asking how Reid pulled up until you've been into the rooms to check that he didn't turn the water on too hard on his calves in the shower?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Aish was BOG

Grundy a let down, then, DTM?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Aish was BOG

Grundy was good

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Aish was BOG

Grundy was good

Actually I thought the Coburg ruckman No29 beat him.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Back home.

Breaking news:WPT out with a hamstring cramp (first time on the bike for a month or so)

Grundy was OK, did some nice things but his opponent who was a monster also did well as BIFC noted.

I think we'll play 2 rucks at the G next week.

Aish was very good but not over 4 qtrs IMO.

I liked the look of Kelly (VFL)

Sier got better as the game went on & Wills looks a likely type.

There was a disposal across the b ackline in the beginning of the last qtr where the ball was kicked wide of Reid that him stretch which met with collective sighs around the ground. Touchwood (a good expression for tis time of year) nil negative effects it seems.

Tooves did well as I've mentioned before.

Magpie Bat was BOG for mine.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:55 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Back home.

Breaking news:WPT out with a hamstring cramp (first time on the bike for a month or so)

Grundy was OK, did some nice things but his opponent who was a monster also did well as BIFC noted.

I think we'll play 2 rucks at the G next week.

Aish was very good but not over 4 qtrs IMO.

I liked the look of Kelly (VFL)

Sier got better as the game went on & Wills looks a likely type.

There was a disposal across the b ackline in the beginning of the last qtr where the ball was kicked wide of Reid that him stretch which met with collective sighs around the ground. Touchwood (a good expression for tis time of year) nil negative effects it seems.

Tooves did well as I've mentioned before.

Magpie Bat was BOG for mine.

No on really played Consistant 4 qtrs. Reid might be only one

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for these reports guys really appreciate them

Love your passion Dave, just take ten deep breaths before responding to posters!
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 am

My reviews, which will no doubt come in handy for those of you trying to work out just whose heads to lop off first...

4. Brodie Grundy
Went head-to-head against a big mean ugly country footy style brute ruckman in Tom Goodwin (who got competent support from the even taller Mark Kovcevic). Goodwin probably slighted him for actual ruckwork at centre bounces and stoppages, but Grundy beat him for work around the ground and follow-up efforts/1%ers. Laid a mean tackle or two, which was nice to watch. Missed an easy set shot late in the piece that Dave will no doubt tell me was incredibly difficult

Certainly went in with the right attitude, although he has been in this situation of being dropped for an inferior product in Witts before, which might be cause for some concern. Was a moment there where Goodwin got physical and tried starting a blue with him, but to his credit Brodie (and his teammates) kept control and got on with things.

As an aside, I still think his centre bounce timing sucks and that he gets moved out of the contest at stoppages too easily. That being said, Witts hardly covered himself in glory last night, so Grundy is the obvious candidate for his spot

6. Tyson Goldsack
Came onto the ground after quarter time, went to play as a defensive forward and didnt take long to make his presence felt, with a ripper of a goal set up by the run of Jordan Kelly (more on him later) where Goldy ran onto the loose ball, collected, took the opponent on, shrugged the tackle with ease and went BANG! And it wasnt long after that before he started showing the old dog-on-heat tackle pressure, with a monster run-down opening the door for a swooping Borthwick to find Aish, who converted from a 50m penalty.

Had a hand in a couple of other goals as well, with precision centring stab pass kicks and clever knock-ons at ground level emphasising his usefulness as a 1% player. I doubt, however, that he comes into contention given that he was on managed minutes. The temptation will be there to drop half the side, but rushing in underdone fringe players is not the answer either. Expect to see him down in Geelong next week

9. Jesse White
Was okay (just okay) switching between 3rd tall defender and key back. Started off rather well, actually, when he took the first intercept mark from the first kick of the day, which had me thinking okay, maybe hell be on today. Didnt really do anything more impressive than that for the rest of the day, mainly being involved in switches and one-two rebounds which probably padded his numbers a little bit. Disposal rather hit-and-miss.

Still had some please shoot me moments, like getting run down by a much smaller opponent while trying to run the ball out of defence. On the other hand, at least he wasnt going up for those ridiculous open-hand palm downs to an opposition crumber, so thats something

Wont get a game on that effort (at least as a back), but after that tripe the seniors served up, I pose a question: would he make a better 2nd ruck/forward than Gault?

14. James Aish
Clear best on ground. Started wing but soon found himself playing more than his fair share inside. He won a fair bit of contested ball, with his willingness to put his head and slight frame over the football a stand out feature, as well as his harassing, pressuring and tackling and refusal to concede contests with repeat efforts. Disposal was scratchy at times, but I suppose much of that was down to the fact that he was playing a much more inside game, with less time and space in which to work.

Ended up booting the 3 goals to run out leading goal kicker for the day, the best of them saved for last, where he put his body on the line to fly in and out-mark a couple of bigger opponents across half forward, then convert with a set-shot that was a goal the moment it hit his bootlaces.

Does he come in? Before the seniors, I had him around the 25. After it, Im sorely tempted to pull the trigger. And with Swan and Sidebottom now gone, I reckon theres room for him

17. Jonathan Marsh
Back to his old best, the intercept marking machine of the past two years. Played 2nd defender behind Reid, alternating between their primary key forward Lech Featherstone and his support act in Mark Orr. Didnt just pick off forward thrusts or act as a link in switch chains, though. He actually got down and got his hands dirty with his ground work as well, including one contest where went straight through a young Coburg mid while going for a contested ball and left him seeing stars.

Definitely one who put his hand up. Disposal still iffy though.

20. Ben Reid
About as flawless a return as you could hope for. Took the CHB role, switching with Marsh between Featherstone and Orr, and at times he treated both young men with contempt. Intercept and contested marking was on in spades, as was his famous kicking, hitting up targets in the corridor to open up the field and on the lead down the wings. Moved really well and played the better part of four quarters.

Did have this one moment where everyone at the ground held their breath, as he bent down low to pick up an errant kick from Golds, an innocuous move for anyone else but a potentially fatal one for Ben. He managed to scoop the footy up and clear it by foot without any hassle though, so I assume the duct tape holding his legs together did its job

I know what I said about underdone players, but hes the one exception as a critical piece of the structure. I reckon hes playing Friday night.

21. Tom Phillips
Really liked this kids game. Played mostly on a wing, but much like Aish, he wasnt far from the grunt stuff, with plenty of tackles and pressure acts to go with the occasional hard ball get. But the standout feature was his kicking. In the first half alone, I reckon he had half a dozen kicks and every one of them hit a target,either leading to the ball or out into space. Which prompted me to ask who the f-ck is this kid and why the f-ck did we draft someone who can kick?

Just kidding

Seriously though, this was the first time Ive seen him live and of the four members of the 2015 draft class out there, Phillips was the one who impressed me the most. Kicked 2 goals, one on the run from 50 and another from an opportunist crumb. Keep an eye on this one

27. Matthew Goodyear
Was quite busy across the whole game, playing centre square/stoppage mid. Found not just his expected amount of inside ball (quite a lot if it) but also a fair tally of outside ball as well, spreading and acting as a link in transition. Not the most damaging of users by foot though. Like the 2014 Jon Marsh, the ball leaves his hands as a drop punt and departs from his foot as a well, not a drop punt.

Without stats, Id say he finished in our top 5 for disposals and kicked the first goal of the game from a set-shot (just how an end-around-end spinning Sherrin holds its line and doesnt veer off as though it were being tugged at by a black hole, I will never know)

33. Rupert Wills
He hasnt played a game since before last years mid-season bye and with a persona non grate pre-season, Id almost forgotten just what a lump of a lad he really is! Came onto the ground immediately following half time. Started off slowly but gradually got his hands on more of the footy, especially in and around the contest. Looks rather sluggish as a runner on the outside, so I expect hell be first choice for the centre square when the real stuff begins.

Took mark of the day in the final quarter, clambering over the top of a 3 or 4 man pack to clunk the ball coming in towards the goal square, from which he converted nicely. Seems to have survived, so a pass mark for him.

34. Alan Toovey
Was serviceable enough. Played his usual dour kind of role, but as the game wore on and the fatigue set in for the Burgers, he started to offer a bit more actual run from half back. His personal highlight of the day was a towering intercept mark in the last, from which he landed like a cat (er, I mean, possum), stabbed a pass to Goldsack, who then found Sier who in turn kicked the goal.

Of the fringe/senior players who were here for the run, Tooves is probably the most ready to go in terms of mileage. What wont fill you all with confidence is the fact that Tooves was back to his old roll-of-the-dice self with his kicking, after hitting targets last game. In the plus column though, Tooveys return to normal broadcasting means that the end of the world has been averted

35. Brayden Sier
Much much better game from #35 this time around. Like Goodyear, he got his hands to quite a lot of the get-and-give-off contested football. As the game wore on and his opposition started to tire however, he started to find himself with a bit more time and space to work in and managed to use his wheels a bit more to break from the congestion and start a forward thrust. Disposal okay without being outstanding. Absolute monster when he tackles someone, which he did several times and did a few things off the ball that will no doubt get Tappings praise in the review.

Was a markedly different player to the one against Footscray a fortnight ago, where he mostly chased cars. This week, Sier was much more involved and influential. Even managed to push forward and find some space to drift into, from which he marked and converted a nice set shot goal. If this was your first time watching him in the flesh, you would be quietly pleased with that outing

38. Jeremy Howe
The one the casuals would have been keen to get a look at. And on that performance, I reckon they would have had plenty of reason for optimism. Started on the ground, played deep forward and was rarely sighted beyond the flanks. Provided an effective target inside the 50, either getting away to mark on the lead or finding space out the back.

Took a fair few inside 50 marks (at least half a dozen), one of which was a pack clunk from a Grundy set-shot that dropped short, from which Howe kicked his only goal. Was very intent on centring to a team mate in better position after a mark, which is pleasing enough, knowing that he wasnt trying to go for the bag. Laid one or two nice tackles, mowing down the Coburg runners as they tried to escape our forward 50, an even better sign that he is at least prepared to put in some hard work.

With the way I normally grade players in his situation of returning from an injury layoff, I tend to give them a bare pass mark just for surviving the first game, but on that outing, Howe has earned himself a solid tick of approval. Not bad at all

Does he come in? Doubt it. Temptation will be there to pick him after that AFL shite, but resist the urge we must. Interrupted pre-season, one game playing predominately from the goal square, after a farcical injury. He wont have the miles in the legs yet and an underdone fringe player wont be the difference against Richmond, particularly a Bailey/Neeld era Melbourne reject. Needs a good month at this level to be in the frame.

39. Ben Crocker
Played forward pocket to flanks again and found himself on the end of some good delivery, particularly from Phillips. Kicked the 2 goals from opportunistic situations and rebounded well after being marooned against the Dogs. As a VFL watcher, I cant help but hope that Crocker and Lachie Ferguson play a lot of footy together this year, because they will kick a lot of goals if they do. They just complement each other so nicely.

41. Tim Golds
Played sweeper/half back again and picked up plenty of the pill. Disposal was rustier than the good standard it has been the first couple of weeks, missing targets he normally would have nailed. I suppose after last nights clusterf-ck, you could be forgiven for casting a lonely eye in his direction when seeking reliable users of the ball. Id look elsewhere, though

46. Mason Cox
Played predominately forward with spells in the ruck relieving Grundy. Came out the better actual tap ruckman of our two big boys for the day I thought, which I suppose is unsurprising with his insanely long arms. But his guidance to a Collingwood target, stationary or moving, was just much better than Grundys. Conversely though, he was nowhere near as effective as Grundy around the ground when it came to possessions ortackle/pressure (again, not surprising if youve watched him as much as I have).

He did, however, do something Grundy could not: kick goals. His first came as a forward, doing some crumbing that you wouldnt expect a 211cm to be able to pull off, while the second came when playing ruck, storming down the field to exploit some open space inside the 50, in which Howe found him.

Decent enough game, all up. Likely to find himself playing second fiddle again next week, this time with Witts as a companion

47. Darrean Wyatt
Played once again as a key forward target, but aside from one lunging mark and subsequent set shot goal right in front, just didnt have that presence you would want in a big forward. Yeah, I know hes still learning, but those who reckon hes already better than White in this role at this level need to have a look at themselves.

Took some relief ruck in the final quarter, as Grundy started to recede out of the game, and he displayed again that he certainly can jump and get first hand to the footy. Actual tap work nothing to get excited about though.
From our VFL ranks

- Jordan Kelly played his best game for us, released to play more of a running rebounders role from half back with the presence of the 3 big units in defence and Toovey as a medium. Gave the forwards some good service by foot and opened up another avenue to generate some drive from defence. If we can keep a couple of bigs in defence most weeks and allow him to run, Kelly may yet prove to be a valuable acquisition

- Gus Borthwick was busy once again, playing again as a hard nut mid. Seems to have gotten a bit smarter with his decision making this year, which is pleasing, because the last thing we need is another iffy trier.

- Ben Moloney was back into some solid form, after an indifferent outing against the Dogs. With some more support this time around, was able to get back to that role he plays so well, that bash-and-crash extractor mid.

- Marty Hore was another who bounced back from the Footscray mauling, joing with Golds again to rack up a fair bit of sweeping footy from defence. Like Golds though, his disposal was a bit off. Ill take it as an aberration, because hitherto, kicking has been one of his assets

- Finally, it was good to see Lachie Ferguson back in the jumper. Didnt hit the scoreboard, but his mosquito pace and tenacity around the pockets is a most welcome addition forward of centre. Had a hand in several of our goals with his pressure acts. Will complement the likes of Crocker very well.
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 am

Does anyone think we will see Wills and or Seir in the seniors this year?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks for the write up mate, reading that this morning was a ray of sunshine after last nights debacle.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:23 am

Love the player summary MB and thanks for the report WPT! This is hugely appreciated Very Happy
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks guys.

I forgot to add, Best Not on Ground goes to watt price tully, who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time on Saturday. A real gentlemen and passionate Pie. Had fun swapping stories with him between breaks and views on the game and players during play.

Thank you for the kind words and the company, WPT. Hope the hamstring heals up quickly... Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: