Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aboriginality test changes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:46 pm
Post subject: Aboriginality test changesReply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-22/concerns-for-tasmanian-aboriginality-test-changes/7106664

Aboriginal people do have entitlements as original owners and by diluting those entitlements, by swamping with people who aren't really Aboriginal, there's going to be big implications for the community.

Heather Sculthorpe, Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre

This makes me laugh. I've got nephews that are Mostly of Mexican and English descent, their Mum is a quarter aboriginal and they claim all the benefits.
Both parents work in well paid jobs yet they go to school early and get the complimentary food for the disadvantaged. One has travelled internationally with the 'Indigenous' Australian baseball team. He also got the same teachers qualifications as one of my daughters a hell of a lot simpler than what she had to do. He also get paid a higher rate than she does.

How long can these scams continue to bleed the economy?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Bolt got sued for saying things similar to this. IMO there should be a 50% rule for receiving these benefits rather than the current free for all. Identify yourself however you like, but someone with one Aboriginal grandparent doesn't need special help.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm

I certainly support these concessions in theory as a necessary way of boosting Indigenous representation and overall performance, but I would prefer if it wasn't framed solely around ethnicity. As Skids points out, it's kind of puzzling that someone from a middle-class background and little connection to Aboriginal culture can have access to entitlements purely by virtue of one grandparent's (or great-grandparent's) ethnicity. It's not so much that it's a drain on the system - this stuff has a more or less negligible impact on the budget - but that these benefits could be better targeted. Perhaps location (i.e. rural vs urban) and socioeconomic background need to be more actively taken into account.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:38 pm

Geezus, this topic is like clog dancing in a minefield while drunk and blindfolded. I'll have a go.

Should Skids nephews be getting benefits they don't need just because of a racial connection? Nope. But how you make the system better without messing it up further I have NFI. Every proposal will piss off some lobby group so you're on a hiding to nothing.

I totally support providing support to Aboriginals, but I think the whole approach could do with some stepping back, reviewing and starting again because despite best intentions a lot of what's currently being done just aint working. I'm not suggesting stopping any funding or programs, I just think the whole multitude of things needs to be looked at in serious detail to get a better result.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:03 am

^And, to reiterate: The cost of policing marginal cases, and the folly of directing energy towards ubiquitous regulatory boundary issues, says more about those obsessing about it than anything else. Take just one other area of life: Some absurd number of transactions a year rest on the ambiguous boundaries of the tax code. But, the vast portion of those transactions are accepted without comment.

Also, by now we all know there is that whole area of identity and the right of self-identity determination, and in addition the definition of identity from certain Aboriginal cultural perspectives. Those things make the natural problem of boundaries even more complicated.

(One of my pasty white best mates has been bestowed with full tribal acceptance for adopting an Aboriginal boy at the blessing of his extended family due to child welfare issues; he doesn't draw on that formally, but he certainly values the honour, and like it or not it is a pertinent example of the known and documented fact that a very different model of identification does exist in Australian history).

So, we have a logical boundary problem overlain with cross-cultural and historical complexities, dwarfed by far more consequential matters. That leaves intelligent folk to conclude there is zero gain, economic or otherwise, to either imposing oneself on the matter, or thinking one has identified the key to the decline of civilisation.

Which, of course, is a completely reasonable and balanced judgement.

As a beautifully-timed point of contrast, consider a tax case which is potentially of major consequence to national revenue shortfalls:

The Irish Times wrote:
Apple tax decision could lead to penalties for EU firms in US

US to consider action if technology firm directed to pay back taxes in Ireland

The Obama administration is coming under political pressure to take direct action against European companies over an EU tax inquiry into Apple’s arrangements in Ireland.

Amid growing tensions on the matter between Washington and Brussels, a powerful Senate committee has urged US treasury secretary Jack Lew to consider tax penalties against European companies if the EU Commission directs Apple to pay back-taxes in Ireland.

Apple’s affairs in Ireland have been under investigation in Brussels since mid-2014. A decision in the case was delayed in November, but there was a surprise development yesterday when the firm’s chief executive, Tim Cook, had “private” talks with EU competition commissioner Margrethe Vestager.

Ms Vestager’s spokesman confirmed the meeting took place, but he would not comment on speculation that a settlement of the case may be in play. Apple did not respond to queries.

Worst-case scenario

JP Morgan, Apple’s investment banker, has said the firm could be on the hook for $19 billion (€17.5 billion) in a worst-case scenario. The Apple case is the biggest in a commission investigation which also inquired into the affairs in other countries of US groups Amazon, Starbucks and McDonald’s, and Fiat of Italy.

In recent days, the Senate finance committee has urged Mr Lew to warn Brussels that Washington views the prospect of retroactive tax claims from the companies concerned as a “direct threat” to US interests.

[[LOL - Massively-corrupt international avoidance arrangements are not a threat to sovereignty, democracy and the life quality of a country's citizens, but are of course a threat to that other great human value, "US interests".]]

The committee also asked Mr Lew to consider using a provision allowing a “double rate of tax” to be imposed on any country engaging in discriminatory taxation.

[[Yep, forget concerns about discrimination against Aborigines, the disabled, the disenfranchised, the powerless, and such; it's discrimination against corporations like Apple that is the real evil holding back human progress!]]

Last month Apple agreed to pay €318 million to settle an Italian tax claim over profits declared in an Irish subsidiary.

The commission is examining whether Apple received “selective” advantage from the Revenue in Ireland.

The Government has vowed to appeal any adverse finding in the European courts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/apple-tax-decision-could-lead-to-penalties-for-eu-firms-in-us-1.2506147

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:02 am

why would you bring up Apple in Ireland? Just another anti USA rant?

If you had brought up their atrocious treatment of their indigenous people, fair enough, and they also have the same problem we do here of people basically taking advantage of the system at the expense of those really entitled to the benefits.

Ok let's go there, Muslims. Well they are in every other thread

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:05 am

think positive wrote:

If you had brought up their atrocious treatment of their indigenous people, fair enough, and they also have the same problem we do here of people basically taking advantage of the system at the expense of those really entitled to the benefits.

Well that's okay. How did they get in there?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:55 am

think positive wrote:

The Aboriginal people have a justified historical grievance, but i don't think the welfare of any people has ever been really developed by a continuous drip of government handouts. The Corporate tax issue is a complete red herring, of course - it's about how much positive tax is paid in ; the other is about which people are allowed to take out of the common wealth, and how much. Until the narratibve is changed in Aboriginal Austrlia to one of self-help and responsibility, this proud people will never recover from the wrongs that were done to them. I have two acquaintances who work in the Aboriginal Industry with government and a Quango; both are sincere and completely Anglo-Saxon stock, and committed to their taxpayer-funded salaries. Like
Stui, I do not know the answer, or whether there is an answer, but more government charity does not seem likely to have much effect.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 am

^

Exactly. Chucking money at the problem hasn't worked, it's created a welfare dependant culture. It's needs a complete review of everything to develop a fully integrated approach that has a chance to work, start from scratch, but I can't see that happening because the shriekers would pick said approach apart and focus on the negative elements rather than the whole picture and we're back where we started.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:23 am

think positive wrote:
why would you bring up Apple in Ireland? Just another anti USA rant

As explained, the contrasting example perfectly illustrates a point that needs iterating: The obsessive quibbling over trivial sums, or the outrage over this or that minority or poor sod doing whatever or getting whatever, is fu^%$ing pathetic. It's anti-liberal in every sense of the word, including a conservative small "l" liberal sense.

People are being turned into village imbeciles arguing over bales of hay and horse shoe dimensions, and it shows in their content selection and distribution of emotion.

In lurid contrast, in the news today we see a major development concerning very powerful and mobile people and their role in pressuring national revenues, and ultimately destablising polities.

Discretion is a huge part of judgement. Indeed, the better part of valour.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:36 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Exactly. Chucking money at the problem hasn't worked, it's created a welfare dependant culture. It's needs a complete review of everything to develop a fully integrated approach that has a chance to work, start from scratch, but I can't see that happening because the shriekers would pick said approach apart and focus on the negative elements rather than the whole picture and we're back where we started.

That's not complete, though, and therefore wrong.

The shriekers would certainly do their part. Agreed.

But the latest Canberra Tony Abbott and his redneck Facebook fans would turn it into an unconstitutional form of cruel punishment, without local consultation, and it would fail, as with the NT farce which was 50% re-branding and PR, and 50% mess covering and backpeddling.

Flipping a coin because "nothing seems to work" is *not* a legitimate answer to difficulties when dealing with people's lives. You need sophisticated insight and widespread consensus to shift very complex problems even a fraction.

For all you know, things might be ten times worse under your flipped coin. Ah, you say; that's impossible! Well, people thought the Middle East couldn't get any worse on fighting the Taliban and removing Saddam, so they arrogantly puffed their chests out and flipped that coin. Whoops. It's now twenty times worse.

Ever sat by someone dealing with severe PTSD? How did all those "no-nonsense" "commensense" "real man" suggestions from Uncle Fred work out? A cringeworthy, bone-headed pain in the arse is all such posturing ever is at best.

I've got another suggestion. Get Canberra the F^%$^ck out of that whole policy area, and make it a non-partisan entity for starters (as much as humanly possible, like wage arbitration, the reserve bank, courts and such). That way the institutions concerned can learn and evolve without random, interfering coin flips every second hysteria cycle.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:55 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
why would you bring up Apple in Ireland? Just another anti USA rant

As explained, the contrasting example perfectly illustrates a point that needs iterating: The obsessive quibbling over trivial sums, or the outrage over this or that minority or poor sod doing whatever or getting whatever, is fu^%$ing pathetic. It's anti-liberal in every sense of the word, including a conservative small "l" liberal sense.

People are being turned into village imbeciles arguing over bales of hay and horse shoe dimensions, and it shows in their content selection and distribution of emotion.

In lurid contrast, in the news today we see a major development concerning very powerful and mobile people and their role in pressuring national revenues, and ultimately destablising polities.

Discretion is a huge part of judgement. Indeed, the better part of valour.

Yeah as mugwump said, a red herring. If you think it's not worth quibbling over, ignore the post. Look after the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves.

Aside from that Mugwump great post, as in Africa, better to give education in farming and supply tools, seeds, held build sustainable irrigation systems, than give them a weeks groceries.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 am

^No, but that's a false urban myth. It costs more to police the ambiguous fringes. Did you know that?

(Mugwump thinks anything that's not defending 17th-century rural European thought is an affront to his identity Laughing Wink ).

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:23 am

I think there are legitimate questions over welfare dependence vs incentive, etc., but I'm with PTID on the Apple stuff – to claim that (possible) Indigenous welfare rorts are "bleeding the economy" is nonsense when scams involving thousands of times as much money are perpetuated with little outrage. It does indeed say a lot about the priorities of those who are particularly fixated on issues like these.

That's a criticism of the rhetoric, though; it doesn't mean that this system can't be improved or critically discussed. Given the ongoing disparities in standard of living, education, crime, etc. in remote rural communities, it should surely be self-evident that a large number of government policies directed at Indigenous Australians are either counterproductive, useless or (best case scenario) working well but only producing gradual returns.

Perhaps that latter category is the best we can possibly hope for, and radical change for the better is impossible; perhaps it's our frustrated desire to see radical positive change that is leading to a lot of the counterproductive and useless policies. Either way, we shouldn't be inhibited from discussing these things.

It sometimes seems that the only time this topic comes up in cultural discourse at all (and we really do avoid it as much as possible) is either when a) people on the right are whinging about supposedly unfair Aboriginal entitlements or b) people on the left are in the mood to be outraged over some incident of racism. I admire all of the people quietly working away in government, public service, business and NGOs to improve Indigenous standards of living and basing their strategies on evidence and consultation, but I wish that that drive could somehow be reflected in public discussion. Instead, all we see is dead silence broken by occasional finger-pointing.

This is one thing I'll say about Tony Abbott: for all his many failings, he was able to bring attention to Indigenous affairs graciously and constructively. Whether he or his government were capable of turning that into effective policy is another question.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:30 am

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

That's not complete, though, and therefore wrong.

The shriekers would certainly do their part. Agreed.

But the latest Canberra Tony Abbott and his redneck Facebook fans would turn it into an unconstitutional form of cruel punishment, without local consultation, and it would fail, as with the NT farce which was 50% re-branding and PR, and 50% mess covering and backpeddling.

Flipping a coin because "nothing seems to work" is *not* a legitimate answer to difficulties when dealing with people's lives. You need sophisticated insight and widespread consensus to shift very complex problems even a fraction.

For all you know, things might be ten times worse under your flipped coin. Ah, you say; that's impossible! Well, people thought the Middle East couldn't get any worse on fighting the Taliban and removing Saddam, so they arrogantly puffed their chests out and flipped that coin. Whoops. It's now twenty times worse.

Ever sat by someone dealing with severe PTSD? How did all those "no-nonsense" "commensense" "real man" suggestions from Uncle Fred work out? A cringeworthy, bone-headed pain in the arse is all such posturing ever is at best.

I've got another suggestion. Get Canberra the F^%$^ck out of that whole policy area, and make it a non-partisan entity for starters (as much as humanly possible, like wage arbitration, the reserve bank, courts and such). That way the institutions concerned can learn and evolve without random, interfering coin flips every second hysteria cycle.

Why the hell can't you leave Abbott and the middle east out of at least some arguments? The only thing I'm proposing is a comprehensive review . I'm not proposing any actions so that flipping a coin analogy is utterly false.

Nor did I say not to consult with all the stakeholders.

I'll type this bit slowly for you. When you have a system that isn't working, simply patching the worst bits won't fix it. You need to go back to basics, work out what is the problem (s) and work to develop an overall holistic solution that may keep some of the current elements, may discard some and will probably create some brand new ones.

The piece Skids raised is not the issue, it's simply pointing out 1 piece of the overall picture that doesn't work properly. Now if that was the only thing wrong with the overall system, you'd shrug and say leave it alone. But anyone who thinks the overall approach to Indigenous issues works well in totality at the moment is a screaming imbecile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: