Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Solar electricity

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Hmm that gets me thinking, maybe we can run a heat pump now! That would be good! It's only 8 x4 lot smaller than a hotel pool, thanks!
Sanden Heat Pumps would be my choice.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:52 am

Cheers, I'll check it out, thanks
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:52 pm

inspector came today and turned the system on! cool!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 pm

I missed a point before. You don't have the batteries so what happens to any excess power? Is it configured to use Solar energy first on sunny days and only tap into the grid when needed or what? How does it work?

Does your electric company charge you more per kilowatt for having the solar, give you a credit for any pumped back into the grid or what?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I missed a point before. You don't have the batteries so what happens to any excess power? Is it configured to use Solar energy first on sunny days and only tap into the grid when needed or what? How does it work?

Does your electric company charge you more per kilowatt for having the solar, give you a credit for any pumped back into the grid or what?

Excess power goes back into the grid, we get 5c for a kW per 1/2 hour. Yes during daylight power comes from solar first. Today was overcast and it was still running on 4 hundred and something. Right now I get power at the old rate, the company gets the paperwork and then configure sit to new specs. I think as I have a smart meter they do it remotely. Yes you pay a higher tariff for what you use, but the guy reckons it's offset by the 5c. (The folks who got in early actually get credits on their bill!) don't forget when we are not home it's still generating power we are not using. the tariff is about 32 compared to 27 apparently. But once it's all set up you can shop around, and I will! Since I'm home to get the best use from the system it should save around 400 from a 700 bill. I'll be happy if it halves it!

(Probably should have waited til tomorrow to turn on the dishwasher!)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Interesting. Ta for that.

So basically they give you 5c for every kilowatt you put into the grid and charge you an extra 5c for every kilowatt you draw from the grid. They're backing you to use more power at night than during the day.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting. Ta for that.

So basically they give you 5c for every kilowatt you put into the grid and charge you an extra 5c for every kilowatt you draw from the grid. They're backing you to use more power at night than during the day.

They lose!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Report back after a couple of bills and we'll see Wink
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 am

The Government is spewing it can't tax rain water and it's spewing it can't tax the sun. Another area of lost revenue.[/quote]

The Fraser coast council charges my parents water rates and they are on tanks. They apparently claim it is to water the local parks. the nearest one to them is 40 km away. And we had a carbon tax which is pretty much a tax on air. The credits used to offset them are used by Indonesian and malaysian farmers to clear fell rain forest and grow palm oil trees.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

ronrat wrote:
The Government is spewing it can't tax rain water and it's spewing it can't tax the sun. Another area of lost revenue.

The Fraser coast council charges my parents water rates and they are on tanks. They apparently claim it is to water the local parks. the nearest one to them is 40 km away. And we had a carbon tax which is pretty much a tax on air. The credits used to offset them are used by Indonesian and malaysian farmers to clear fell rain forest and grow palm oil trees.[/quote]Everyone pays a Parks charge as far as I know. Some have it stated in their water bills like me. It's just another tax. Maybe they will put that up as your taking the sun from the parks with your solar panels?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:50 am

^

Primary producers tax. Your solar panels are using the sunshine the farmers need to grow crops, fruit and veg. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:

so i got my first bill!!

in answer to your question i got $6.46 credit which is 129.189 kwh @ $.05c a kwh.

keeping in mind the is bill is to the solar for only a third of it, from 9/6-14/7 - 36 days.
the graph on the back shows we use an average of 600kwh a month (except pool/ac season, december was a whopping 800kwh, summer ave 700kwh. last july showing about 620kwh, this july - 220kwh!!

bills not very accurate though, the system was turned on on the 16th of May, but the actual change of plan happened 9th of June. so im guessing there is some averaging there!!

so take off the "remote meter reconfigure charge" and my bill is about 100 cheaper. if its going to be 3 hundred cheaper for three months (keeping in mind we should get better at using power during the day where we can and apparently it hasnt been very sunny here!!) ill be more than happy with that! thats $1,200 a year, and just think about that december bill! my pool pump and pool solar are only used during the day, its manual operation, not timed (im a control freak!!) i reckon the saving could hit $1,400. the system was $6,100 (discount for cash upfront) it pays for itself in just 4.36 years!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm

^

Good stuff.

Not sure that arrangement would work for me, 5 days of the week I'm bound to use more power at night when I'm home than during the day.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Good stuff.

Not sure that arrangement would work for me, 5 days of the week I'm bound to use more power at night when I'm home than during the day.

You need moonlight solar then!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 pm

So got the three month bill from Oct to Jan. If I pay on time it's.........$349.67! Full price is $371.87. I just pulled out last years bill for the same period, (no discounts offed back then!) total price .....$783.81!
So we saved $434.14! Add that to the hundred from the first bill (which was the transition period, so hard to work out the actual savings) and the $202 saving from the last bill, (oct) and We have already recouped $736 in just 7 months! I'll take that! And I haven't even negotiated a deal for elec/gas yet. I was waiting to see what the bills would be like!

Last edited by think positive on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: