Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Solar electricity

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

partypie wrote:
I have solar, I love it, total energy bills for last 12 months approx $300. Excess power is sold back to the grid under a generous arrangement that has been down scaled for new customers. The trick is to use your appliances during the day. Also look at what type of hot water service you have and work out the most efficient way to use it. My place is well insulated and has reverse cycle air con and although I am energy conscious I am comfortable, and I do live in a relatively mild climate (for now)

Cheers, thanks for that. I'm calling our supplier today to see how they handle it. I work from home, and I do all our washing, use the dishwasher, dryer etc during the day, and also run the pool filter, solar, and if I heat the spa, I do that during the day too, and I can lengthen the night sleep pattern on it no worries. I've switched to energy efficient globes, inc down lights (we have 58 down lights, so that made a huge difference). 1 telly is not an Lcd, but the rest are. When we built we had to go five star, re insulating etc, and I did the walls myself, and I really stuffed it in there! The inspector was impressed! Never seen it so neat he said! We have reverse cycle too. Very rare it's on all night. And yeah, we are Melbourne, so very mild here too! Our bills can still hit $700, so even chopping it 40% would be great! We have solar hot water, and solar on the pool, and I'm always amazed just how quickly and how effective it is! Yesterday was fairly warm, the kids didn't turn the solar on over the weekend, and the pool is at least 4-5 degrees warmer after having it on for around 5 hours. That's the difference between comfortable, and **** no!

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:37 pm

A couple of tips.

Don't get a quote for True Value a) they sponsor Essendon b) they will hound you daily until you tell them to piss off.

5Kw system is what you should be looking at.

Look for battery/cell ready systems - there are cells available that should hit our shores soon (if not already) that you can store power in. Google it for more info.

You will notice most of the TV ads are advertising now Battery/Cell Ready!

Just what I've found out since starting the process as well.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

So they installers are here today, arrived at 7.50am for the 8am start. Walked down the road to have a look, and itlooksgood. But seriously, freaky! One guy was standing a foot from the edge, no fall protection what so ever. No harness. Surely that's not legal? I had a quick look on work cover, says over 2 metres, but it's not mandatory. Gees I'm glad it's not as windy as it was yesterday. I did ask the not to make a mess if they fall!
partypie 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Our panels got cleaned about two months ago after probably not being done fora few years., and I've really noticed how much better they are working. Eg more hot water even allowing for daughters long showers!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:31 pm

think positive wrote:
So they installers are here today, arrived at 7.50am for the 8am start. Walked down the road to have a look, and itlooksgood. But seriously, freaky! One guy was standing a foot from the edge, no fall protection what so ever. No harness. Surely that's not legal? I had a quick look on work cover, says over 2 metres, but it's not mandatory. Gees I'm glad it's not as windy as it was yesterday. I did ask the not to make a mess if they fall!

What kind of setup are you getting?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

What kind of setup are you getting?

19 big $£$%^%%$ panels on the roof and a controller in the garage, 5kw only a small kid needed to switch to batteries when the price comes down. It was $6200 I paid cash so got 100 off. They don't do much because of the registering process can't be off books!
ill get the brand names when I get home from netball

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Cool. I could be interested particularly if you have the option of batteries instead of mains so you aren't at the mercy of the companies putting stuff back into the grid.

With the ideal setup, you could automate the switch between direct solar, batteries and mains so you only had to use mains when necessary. That would really bring in the savings quickly.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:51 pm

You can! There is a switch on the unit. Didn't get the battery set up as it's still new, and expensive! It's a start
I got Q cells and fronius primo 5.0

I did a fair bit of research first

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:11 pm

You do research before spending money? Shocked Really? Razz Wink

I figure the solar panel tech is improving all the time, so is battery tech. I'll put up with mains until they get a decent inexpensive storage solution that doesn't rely on dodgy electrickery companies. Wink

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:06 am

Having worked in the Solar industry I can say there will be some amazing systems on the market sooner rather than later. Unlike our ignorant idiots in power, the Chinese Government and businesses have and are investing heavily into the technology. The Power Companies are worried and are charging more to consumers who don't take up solar to cover the losses by those that switch to solar.

A company will soon be offering a full off grid system, including maintenance for a monthly fee like your current electricity provider.

Am I using Solar at home? No, we work during the day so we would not enjoy any benefit. In saying that we will be switching to a complete off the grid system once it drops in price where I could pay for it with the savings in like 5 years.
The Government is spewing it can't tax rain water and it's spewing it can't tax the sun. Another area of lost revenue.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:14 am

That's interesting. Good info, cheers

Part of the research was if its worth it. I work from home and do all the washing, run the dishwasher, dryer (not often, but when it's free I will!) vacuum, pool chlorinator etc during daylight hours. We have 3 panels for water and it was so worth it, my gas bills are tiny in summer, around $35, and not too bad in winter, but that's the heater too. Plus the solar for the pool is magic, I wouldn't get in the pool without it! Don't care how hot it is, I hate freezing water! I'm guessing I've used a bit of electricity on that one! Still cheaper than a pool heater, my girlfriend has the heater, $400 extra a quarter! Too much.

We did the free downlight switch last year, that was 100 off the bill a quarter (58 down lights). The TVs are LED except 1 plasma, when that dies we will get an LED or that new thing that's low on power. My,ids are getting better at turning lights off. Even with all that it's scary how the bills are climbing. In a big house solar is a necessity now. If I can chop 40% off I'll be happy, and they reckon I should save about 50-60, so bonus! That's over a thousand a year. And once it kicks in, I'll take full advantage of it!

Last edited by think positive on Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 am

More than a ton?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm

think positive wrote:
That's interesting. Good info, cheers

Part of the research was if its worth it. I work from home and do all the washing, run the dishwasher, dryer (not often, but when it's free I will!) vacuum, pool chlorinator etc during daylight hours. We have 3 panels for water and it was so worth it, my gas bills are tiny in summer, around $35, and not too bad in winter, but that's the heater too. Plus the solar for the pool is magic, I wouldn't get in the pool without it! Don't care how hot it is, I hate freezing water! I'm guessing I've used a bit of electricity on that one! Still cheaper than a pool heater, my girlfriend has the heater, $400 extra a quarter! Too much.

We did the free downlight switch last year, that was 100 off the bill a quarter (58 down lights). The TVs are LED except 1 plasma, when that dies we will get an LED or that new thing that's low on power. My,ids are getting better at turning lights off. Even with all that it's scary how the bills are climbing. In a big house solar is a necessity now. If I can chop 40% off I'll be happy, and they reckon I should save about 50-60, so bonus! That's over a thousand a year. And once it kicks in, I'll take full advantage of it!
I set up a solar and solar hot water system. Also a heat pump for a motel for their pool. The water is perfect and it costs them stuff all too run.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Hmm that gets me thinking, maybe we can run a heat pump now! That would be good! It's only 8 x4 lot smaller than a hotel pool
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Hmm that gets me thinking, maybe we can run a heat pump now! That would be good! It's only 8 x4 lot smaller than a hotel pool, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: