Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Balancing the team

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:08 pm
Post subject: Balancing the teamReply with quote

We seem to be overloaded with top line midfielders but can you really have to much talented ball users.
In other posts here we've been asked to name our best 22 our back 6 forward 6 and there are many options all very feasible and in some cases some very logical.
For mine I would like to see us adopt a horses for courses selection process this year.
Starting with do we play 2 rucks ?
For mine it's simple play one ruck and use a Cox Gault White Moore Cloke or Brown as a back up or play one less tall forward (logically White and the resting ruck plays forward)
It should depend on who we play. If we're playing a side that traditionally plays 3 key tall defenders then we go with 2 rucks to make them accountable if they play 2 talls and a couple hybrid types then we go with more speed and use the likes of a White to stretch them
Our mids can rest forward or start forward and become running attackers and defenders. I see Swanny playing a free spirit type role. Go where he thinks he can be dangerous
In the backline I believe the same applies but in reverse. If they play 3 talls then we play our 3 best tall defenders. If they play 2 talls and a couple hybrid types then a Goldsack Ramsay Marsh come into play along with a Langdon Frost. I think we will see Pendles play off the back of the square allowing him to either drop back quickly and be a general or run through the middle and use his vision and time to set up our forwards linking with Sidey Varcoe Aish Crisp Adams Treloar Greenwood etc
Would love to see the selection committee say right we play X this week so we pick a side based on matching up against them not who played well last week.
Look at how the Hawks used the likes of Schoenmakers etc they pick them for specific jobs be it forward or back depending on who they play.
I think we have 16/18 definates each week and 4/6 being used to get our balance right.
My premise is based on all players being fit to play and in form. I don't think we should be scared to drop or rotate players like we have in the past few seasons.
I also think rotating some younger players may help us avoid the falling off the cliff like we have done the past couple years. Seems many of the younger group just find it a tad to much to play 22 consecutive consistent games.
Looking at JW's charts we are still very young and games wise a season to 2 away from having the majority of our list in its best position. Heck if my memory serves me correctly we have 1 player (Swanny) aged over 30 prior to the first bounce.
I'm looking for a point of difference at the selection table this year.
Remember the definition of stupidity ?
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw up the idea of playing Witts one week and Grundy the next. Players all state the demands on players physically are very high now. So why not share this ruck load and let them recover and freshen up over a fortnight.

It's a bit like the unlimited interchange usage in 2007-2010. It's a just longer stint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: