Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

At what age should kids be playing to win?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:11 pm
Post subject: At what age should kids be playing to win?Reply with quote

One school of thought is that kids should be encouraged to play sport for physical activity and that kids sporting teams should be encouraging that activity as it's own end and not care about winning.

Another is that this works up to a point, but kids are competitive and like to win. If you want to get fit, go for a jog, try playing outside, ride a bicycle, etc. There's plenty of options open for parents to to get their kids to be active.

My personal thought is up to around age 10 it should be about fun and skill development. Participation for it's own sake, get them involved in the atmosphere and surrounds of team sports without worrying about the result.

After age 10, IMHO, reality needs to start kicking in slowly. By all means encourage kids of all sizes, shapes and abilities to participate but there needs to start being a purpose. You play a team sport to win. If the fat or unco kid wants to work on their fitness and skills, that's what you want but to gift them a game on the basis that we need to encourage kids to participate to the detriment of the teams chances to win is missing the point. team sport is about the team, not the individual.

I've left this deliberately open. Thoughts?

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

From day 1 - don't want no loser kids becoming vice captain in whatever sport they play winning best clubman / most improved.

Seriously though, the age for enjoyment is getting lower. I think Jarrad Witts was only 13 or 14 when earmarked by Collingwood.

At the same age most kids are counting their pubes or playing PS3.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:06 pm

With the New Academies coming in. We can get Kids into the Academies at about 13 years old
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm
Post subject: Re: At what age should kids be playing to win?Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
One school of thought is that kids should be encouraged to play sport for physical activity and that kids sporting teams should be encouraging that activity as it's own end and not care about winning.

Another is that this works up to a point, but kids are competitive and like to win. If you want to get fit, go for a jog, try playing outside, ride a bicycle, etc. There's plenty of options open for parents to to get their kids to be active.

My personal thought is up to around age 10 it should be about fun and skill development. Participation for it's own sake, get them involved in the atmosphere and surrounds of team sports without worrying about the result.

After age 10, IMHO, reality needs to start kicking in slowly. By all means encourage kids of all sizes, shapes and abilities to participate but there needs to start being a purpose. You play a team sport to win. If the fat or unco kid wants to work on their fitness and skills, that's what you want but to gift them a game on the basis that we need to encourage kids to participate to the detriment of the teams chances to win is missing the point. team sport is about the team, not the individual.

totally agree

netball has it right, they score the under 9 games but no ladder or finals
11 and under, finals and ladders start.

its not only the kids that then need to learn about being the right fit for a team, some parents must be blind!

my kids are like me, sheep stations or go home! but then my whole family is like that. bloody terrible when you get someone in the team for a laugh, i want to drag them off the court!

Last edited by think positive on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:39 pm

How can someone learn how to lose if they never get a chance to win?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:42 pm
Post subject: Re: At what age should kids be playing to win?Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

The ages you've mentioned sound about right to me.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:02 am

8 year olds playing will know the score even if you don't have one. It teaches them maths. In junior cricket they have to retire when when they make say 30 or 50. How are they going to know how to build towards a score if you don't keep count. I like the grading concept though.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:08 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with encouraging healthy competition, even amongst little kids. Where you run into problems is if winning becomes the number one goal, not actually enjoying the game. That's where teaching good sportsmanship and encouraging teammates (particularly the ones who may not be so gifted) is so important.

Even at the age of 8 or 9, the idea of playing football without keeping score (as happened at the Auskick I went to) seemed absurd. We knew what the score was.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:46 am

This time I'm playin' to win!

Having no children, I'll be tentative, but I would imagine I would encourage competition especially in areas the child looks like he/she wants to take seriously.

But some things are for relaxation; some things are for the hell of it; some things are hobbies; some things are competitive, and so on, so it would be a horses for courses thing even from a young age, wouldn't it?

But, I take advice in these areas Exclamation

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:26 am

Good post

Thing is to, without competition, you don't learn to be a good winner, or a good loser, and in life sometimes you lose sometimes you win. Doing both with grace is a great lesson.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't think there really is an age to start to win, kids will play to win at school, they will play for fun at school and on the sporting field I think its up to the parents to teach them how to handle defeat in life and how to be a gracious winner.

In children's sports I believe that the parensts are more the ones that cause issues during the whole win/loss thing. You can see how competitive they can be and how they act when the coach takes a kid off and replaces them with someone else. Also the drive some parents have to make their kid play a sport sometimes they don't care for etc. I think the best thing to watch on this is Trophy Kids, a documentary on parents living through their kids and pushing them for "greatness" regardless of the kids' feelings, etc.

Teach them to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat and there won't be many issues. As much as we try and take away the playing to win thing from the younger ages of sports, the kids know the score. Just need to educate them on how how to behave and be better sportspeople.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:03 pm

It's actually a tricky subject, I've gained more perspective on the matter since assistant coaching the under 9's & 10's the last 2 years and started to coach the under 11's this year.

It's not easy to find the "one-size-fits-all" balance, as there are some kids ready for the competitive nature of team sport at a younger age than others.
That said, I think Stui's ages in the OP are about right as a happy medium.
It gives a couple of seasons for the strugglers to practice and become proficient enough to at least contribute when there is something on the line.
These kids won't kick it to their teammate with no coordination when the result is on the line, but that's not as much of an issue without ladders and premiership points.

The balance that we'll be looking for this season in our under 11's will be a combination of - teamwork, discipline, improving skills, improving game awareness, and of course the 2 things that will be in focus from the other side of the boundary as well - enjoyment and winning!!
Those 2 things, enjoyment and winning, are linked. It's natural to enjoy things more when one is successful.

I was really against the no scoring, no ladders thing as of about 2 years ago, - but can now see some benefits of holding off until about under 11's before encouraging the competitive aspect.
It certainly does hold some of the kids back, but it also helps others get up to speed.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:05 pm

think positive wrote:

Thing is to, without competition, you don't learn to be a good winner, or a good loser, and in life sometimes you lose sometimes you win. Doing both with grace is a great lesson.

This is going to be a major focus for us too.
Win, lose, or draw - with grace and dignity.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 pm

King Monkey wrote:
It's not easy to find the "one-size-fits-all" balance, as there are some kids ready for the competitive nature of team sport at a younger age than others.

This point makes sense to me as a general rule of human psychology. Too often people make a general "tough love/learn the hard way" generalisation, or a "protect and nurture/encourage and support" generalisation.

But the better path is enormously contingent on the psychology and individual development of the child. And not just the child; every human, in fact.

It's the old screenplay of one young person thriving in the military, and another committing suicideand often contrary to expectations.

Another old story is a parent treating two children differently, not because of any great insight into the unique psychology of each child, but because of the factors which have led the parent to bond differently with each child for the parent's sake.

Bloody humans Exclamation Smile

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:07 am

pietillidie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

This point makes sense to me as a general rule of human psychology. Too often people make a general "tough love/learn the hard way" generalisation, or a "protect and nurture/encourage and support" generalisation.

But the better path is enormously contingent on the psychology and individual development of the child. And not just the child; every human, in fact.

It's the old screenplay of one young person thriving in the military, and another committing suicideand often contrary to expectations.

Another old story is a parent treating two children differently, not because of any great insight into the unique psychology of each child, but because of the factors which have led the parent to bond differently with each child for the parent's sake.

Bloody humans Exclamation Smile

as a parent of a child who treated me with utter contempt for a few very traumatic teenage years, (she had some really shit friends, thanks to their shit parents) i take umbrage to your "for the parents sake" comment.

She regularly flung this at me, even saying "my friends mum says you treat me differently to ...." and my reply was "yes, and do they also see that ...... treats me differently to the way you treat me?"

i tried, i really tried, and it took a long long painful time, but we are now good friends. And more importantly,

She gets it.

(Bloody humans without children judging parents)

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: