Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Boomer Supremacy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^That's me saying that, not David.

Mercifully, self-interest doesn't have to be destructive, and with some effort perhaps much of the time. But we also know it can be a lot of extremely ugly things, from poisoning the GBR and risking climate instability, to cheering on war and chaos because we might get some contracts out of it, to raising university fees because "cuts have to be made" (but not to our old fart superannuation handouts).

In this thread, among other things, self interest is broadly causing a shift in access against young people. Some of it is, as 3.142 said, a case of certain historical contingencies; some of it is about handouts being directed to people who are considered influential voting groups regardless of needs; all such mal-allocated monies are either cheered on or allowed to pass through without due consideration because those who benefit don't give a feck about the effects on young people.

I'm not sure how the data can be whitewashed; it will be another national apology in a few decades, with the usual sort of beneficiaries trotting out the old favourite face-saving line, "but people didn't know any better back then".

Well, the usual suspects never seem to know any better, except miraculously until after they've gotten what they want and need to save face and not look like ar$eholes.

If you want to see this in action, go and watch the recent questioning of George "It just wasn't of much interest to me" Pell. I bet most people have already forgotten the plague of denial going back decades, allowing the molesting of children to carry on all over the place. Oh, but no one knew better back then....

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:24 am

If it was you, how was I abletoquote David saying it?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:02 pm

^David was saying they're indifferent "at worst", which was actually distancing himself from my even stronger view! Read back and he's mostly questioning my view.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Oh ok
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:17 pm

think positive wrote:
Oh ok

Nah you were right - David wrote:
Are they really 'waging war' on us, or is it just that our ageing population means there are more votes in old people issues? At worst, I'd say, our politicians show a callous indifference to the welfare of younger people

Although he did acknowledge that old age pensioners seem to be unimportant!

Many of whom have no doubt worked in low paying manual labour jobs all their lives, paid their tax, raised their children without the benefit of family tax benefit A B C etc, rent assistance, child care subsidies etc etc etc etc etc!

Still they shouldn't complain many will get to spend their twilight days in care facilities that employ the cheapest untrained staff to " CARE" for them.

Gotta keep the assets for the inheritance - can't have the olds having anything resembling a decent standard of living if it means we get less - greedy greedy people young, middle aged and generation what fckn ever!

Whiners and moaners - put your hands back in your pockets and get off your arses and stop expecting never ending handouts. Go without shiny, sparkling new everything UNTIL you can bloody afford it!!!!

Oh and if you don't think that the havoc wreaked by dug and alcohol induced violence needs serious action - take your little self to an ED for the night! Lockouts may or may not be an answer - but hey back in the day of the dinosaurs we tended to have a one on one physical altercation - you know face to face - not sink the boots in in numbers when someone was down or run up and hit them from behind - Gen gutless!

Meanwhile PTID is penning a new series of the classic John and Betty books - Fred and Mavis it seems - will they be able to have a dog called Spot - or will there be a Get Up campaign as this is offensive to chronic acne sufferers???

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 pm

^

Goddamn, you go girl

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:10 pm

A man claps excitedly at a showing of The Old and the Abandoned Laughing

See, David, you tried to be more accommodating than me, but that was just thrown back in your face. It wouldn't have mattered if you had shown the greatest depths of empathy, or the framed the most inclusive proposal, which is exactly what you and I would instinctively try to do, anyhow.

As explained, it doesn't matter what the data says, it's where the incentives lead; the fantasies have long been built up in the brain to buttress them. That's why politics as a discipline of action exists.

You need a good policy for housing and education affordability, then you need to fund it with changes to the super and negative gearing handouts, and such, and then you need to drive that baby home through political action.

All the drama and BS in between won't mean a damn once you've done the right thing by the whole. Like Keating, down the track it will be known you did the right thing, though the old fogies of the day will *never* forgive you.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:15 pm

^ whatever you do please don't call the cat Fluff - it's just too cliche!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 am

pietillidie wrote:
A man claps excitedly at a showing of The Old and the Abandoned Laughing

See, David, you tried to be more accommodating than me, but that was just thrown back in your face. It wouldn't have mattered if you had shown the greatest depths of empathy, or the framed the most inclusive proposal, which is exactly what you and I would instinctively try to do, anyhow.

As explained, it doesn't matter what the data says, it's where the incentives lead; the fantasies have long been built up in the brain to buttress them. That's why politics as a discipline of action exists.

You need a good policy for housing and education affordability, then you need to fund it with changes to the super and negative gearing handouts, and such, and then you need to drive that baby home through political action.

All the drama and BS in between won't mean a damn once you've done the right thing by the whole. Like Keating, down the track it will be known you did the right thing, though the old fogies of the day will *never* forgive you.

Read this three times and still wondering what it has to do with the other posts

Funny thing is your still directing shit at David, even though somehow me quoting him, is me quoting you, I don't get that either, by why say see David?

(Great post morrigu, spirited)

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:42 am

^It fits together something like this:

> I agree with Wokko on the older generations impacting young people negatively with their self-serving politicking and choices
> David agrees with the facts, but thinks we shouldn't whack people too hard, agreeing with 3.142 noting it's just a historical flow issue, and the older generation is not doing this intentionally
> I disagree with David, thinking he's pussying out of politics and is just going to get walked on, even as things worsen
> David agrees with me in terms of content, just not political method, or me getting specific in blaming people
> David and I debate politics and how to go about things for a bit
> You quote David as if he's the one taking the hard line (I think?), but actually Wokko and I are taking a much harder line
> I pointed that out to you in order to be fair on David (i.e., you should be blaming Wokko and I here; David's being much more accommodating)
> Morrigu confuses that sequence further by telling you that you were right to target David

So, there are two debates in the thread: The OP, and an aside derived from it between David and I on politics.

There's nothing sinister here: I am actually trying to get you to blame me more than David because I used the harsher language and have the harsher position!

It just got confusing, is all. But, keep kicking David if you want; he probably deserves it anyhow Razz Morrigu is just being an angry ant and reckons I think she uses blue rinse, meanwhile feeling embarrassed about her pink fluffy slippers, lavender talcum powder and mothball-smelling cardigans Razz Laughing [*Ducks and runs for cover*]

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
Are they really 'waging war' on us, or is it just that our ageing population means there are more votes in old people issues? At worst, I'd say, our politicians show a callous indifference to the welfare of younger people. But politicians aren't all baby-boomers, and even if they were, a couple of hundred professional politicians don't constitute a generational group.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with your analysis, I'm just wondering if there's any use in finger-pointing. People vote according to their self-interest: there's no malice inherent in that. What we need is better, fairer policies, and that requires younger people to get interested in politics and fight for the things that matter to them. Actually enrolling to vote would be a start!

Can you give an example of that callous indifference?

Or is that just your self interest kicking in?

Ok I'll explain my post

David wrote "at worst, I'd say, our politicians show a callous indifference to the welfare of younger people" He didn't say you said, he said "I'd say" so I want to know if he is saying that because of self interest as he's still in the younger people bracket, which leads to my second question because he says people vote from a place of self interest.

But it's ok, he also thinks there is no free will, so if he is saying that, as aposed to you saying that, then it's not his fault he can't help coming from a me me me place! Cos there is no malice in that!

And I don't get why my two simple questions to what he wrote is kicking him? Unless you think they are loaded? As for blaming you or him, what blame do you read in those two questions whatsoever?

Gees talk about confusing, I thought only women read between the lines and added 2 plus 2 and got 11 1/2!

And now David is going to read this and wonder what the hell im on about.

Oh, and Morrigu was right, I was right, I was quoting and asking David,but you assumed I was having a crack at him, and then you wrongly assumed Morrigu said I was right to do that, when she was saying I was actually right in asking David two simple questions about his post that I quoted him saying blah blah blah, which of course I knew, but couldn't be bothered writing this last night, so I just said , oh ok! which has now led to the longest post I've ever put in a political thread, and yes everyone else, I know it's bizarre but how else do I explain it!

Last edited by think positive on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:48 am

pietillidie wrote:
^It fits together something like this:

> I agree with Wokko on the older generations impacting young people negatively with their self-serving politicking and choices
> David agrees with the facts, but thinks we shouldn't whack people too hard, agreeing with 3.142 noting it's just a historical flow issue, and the older generation is not doing this intentionally
> I disagree with David, thinking he's pussying out of politics and is just going to get walked on, even as things worsen
> David agrees with me in terms of content, just not political method, or me getting specific in blaming people
> David and I debate politics and how to go about things for a bit
> You quote David as if he's the one taking the hard line (I think?), but actually Wokko and I are taking a much harder line
> I pointed that out to you in order to be fair on David (i.e., you should be blaming Wokko and I here; David's being much more accommodating)
> Morrigu confuses that sequence further by telling you that you were right to target David

So, there are two debates in the thread: The OP, and an aside derived from it between David and I on politics.

There's nothing sinister here: I am actually trying to get you to blame me more than David because I used the harsher language and have the harsher position!

It just got confusing, is all. But, keep kicking David if you want; he probably deserves it anyhow Razz Morrigu is just being an angry ant and reckons I think she uses blue rinse, meanwhile feeling embarrassed about her pink fluffy slippers, lavender talcum powder and mothball-smelling cardigans Razz Laughing [*Ducks and runs for cover*]

My strange quoting myself is in response to this, guys!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:28 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^When I said "begrudgingly accept", I meant precisely as you described. So, there's no disagreement there (why even imagine there might have been disagreement on that when we have held the same views on this for ages now, and I've written thousands of words on it? Confused ).

But, moving beyond that agreement, have you thought through just why exactly you and everyone else accepts this illusion of free will? Again, I've written on this before and I have no reason to believe this is news to you, but it's because you've got no choice but to motivate your actions with the illusion, particularly difficult and complex actions. That's Homo sapiens, apparently.

Well, guess what? Everyone else out there is also motivating their actions with these illusions. And they're doing it substantially through that that class of illusion called "morality". (Forget the bit about cosmic good and evil; save that for your debate with Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, Eric Abetz and Tony Abbott).

One of the main illusions which stimulates action here beyond "drives" is defined in other fields as "reputation". It is viewed as a fundamental social asset in both biology and economics, and assumed in psychology. This is why Trump loves waving libel laws about; why oil companies spend tens of millions of PR; or why you bother doing your hair (or not, in your case!). It's also why people react when their reputations are attacked, and why they try so hard to justify their own nonsense and appear all "moral".

So, under the personal and social assumption of free will, aside from contingencies such as vulnerability (e.g., mentall illness, destitution, childhood, etc.), this commodity of reputation is fair game, because the foundation of moral assessment over time, i.e., reputation, is the assumption people had the free will to do otherwise.

So, you can't get rid of reputation any more than you can get rid of free will. You're locked in socially, like it or not.

In other words, that great fairy tale merismus, good and evil, doesn't get you out of the problem of judgement; it's just another avoidance strategy. Again, it's removing free will by other means, and opting out of making hard calls, presumably due to the discomfort of making hard calls.

Don't confuse the necessity of making Fred accountable for his views with the ultimate use of "power" in every single action, and the ultimate nonsense of existence itself. You're not violating the rights of the old bastard; he's fit and capable, and we know this because of the amount of energy he puts into spreading his self-serving nonsense using those rights.

But, there you are, afraid of questioning the morality of Fred, even though Fred uses deluded stories of morality and nonsense claims to drive himself and cover his self-serving tracks, even as he works to bugger up life for folk with genuine power deficits, from children to young people, and single mothers to refugees.

Heck, if he's not willing to join you down the library, you're not even willing to challenge his motivations in order to force him to justify and engage, even though he forces others to do that. We wouldn't want to violate the poor bloke, like Rolling Eyes

Basically, by definition, you can't disembody, or de-moralise, politics. It's always and ever about will, desire and reputation. It's not a philosophical meditation on the way others get mired in the filth of real-world decisions, but you singularly manage rise above the worldly fray.

(As a timely aside, perhaps you could suggest a non-contact, library version of of how to deal with this BS, so as not to offend the marvelous heights of character demonstrated by the fundamentalists irrationally privatising the wrong services in Dublin: http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1655786#1655786)

Ok, I get where you're coming from a little more now. Where my disagreement continues is that I see a politics focused on personal reputation as both more ineffective and more problematic than a politics based on structures and systems. First, because moral reputation and professional reputation are often conflated in our society; second, because social problems can rarely satisfactorily be explained by individual motivations and values (particularly given that motivations and values are shaped by the exact same systems); and third, because the entire idea of moral reputation is pretty questionable to begin with.

That's not to say that reputation doesn't matter. In areas like competency and ethical business practice, it's a useful means of assessing an individual's skills and weaknesses. I also accept that the concept of moral reputation is a significant motivator. But I think there's a lot of harmful nonsense associated with that, such as, for instance, the curious default status every politician has as "upstanding citizen" up until the point where some minor transgression from the past – the sort which surely everybody has, at some point in their personal history – taints them. I see that as both highly impractical and kind of fundamentally wrong.

But this is dealing with actual people. Who is Fred? You've more or less admitted that he's a crude stereotype of a certain contingent within a given population demographic. How can one defend or condemn such a character? The best we can do, as far as I can see, is to recognise this kind of social thinking as a social phenomenon and either accept it as unchangeable or work to break it down. If you have more specific alternative solutions involving real individuals or groups, then I'm happy to hear them.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:00 pm

so david, ignoring my questions?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:57 pm

My response to those two questions would be:

1) If you look at policies in areas such as housing, educational funding and the minimum wage, I think it's fair to say that younger people don't get the best deal in our society. And in case you think that governments basically mean well, let's not forget that our current federal government wanted to make unemployed people under 30 wait six months for the dole. As I said, callous indifference at best.

2) I'm of course motivated by self-interest as much as anyone else, but when it comes to economic policy I feel a bit more like a neutral observer – basically, because I don't care about money all that much and tend to think I'll do my best to get by in any situation. But I am concerned about other people in my age group, and I care about what's good for society as a whole (which, of course, affects my own quality of life in the end regardless).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: