Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Practice Match #1 - Collingwood vs Werribee at Olympic Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo's from Mattys123

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588349824663682.1073741839.494082390757093&type=3

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:42 am

Apologies for being late to the party in adding these, but I plain forgot to post the review I wrote on the train going home before dozing off. So for the two or three people who give a damn about what I have to say, here you go...

7. Adam Treloar
The man we all came to see. Played the three quarters before being benched for the last. Looked reasonably good. Without seeing the stats, I reckon he would have finished in the 15-20 disposal range, most of them under unusually intense pressure for a practice game. Was hunted around the stoppages by the Werribee thugs. At times, he had 2 or 3 blokes hanging off of him yet still manage to either win the ball out or just force it forward. Even tried going 3rd man up at ruck contests (not all that well it must be said), then tried roving his own unsuccessful knock-downs!

Disposal quite rusty, but it's pre-season, so rust is to be expected. We know he's so much better than this. Really, it wouldn't have mattered if he didn't even get 1 possie, so long as he got through intact, which it seems he has. Anything else is really just a bonus. Welcome to the Pies, Adam.

39. Ben Crocker
Didn't see him at all in the opening quarter, so I can only assume he was being managed as well. Kicked 2 goals playing from a forward pocket and really should have had a third, denied to him after being pinged right in front for illegal contact in the back from I thought was a textbook piece of good body work.

Certainly can mark the ball and finish from general play. Played very much that deeper target medium/small role that Fasolo has been doing well in this pre-season and didn't look at all out of place. Reasonably good game overall. One to watch.

41. Tim Golds
Wasn't in the original team, but after being named then omitted from the first two NAB Challenges, it wasn't a surprise to see him here. Serviceable game all up, playing that half-back/wing rebounder/sweeper. Really though, we may as well have had Tony Armstrong out there playing the same role, that's how unremarkable he was.

47. Darrean Wyatt
Was so-so. Didn't get anywhere near it in the first half (think he only had 1 kick to half time). Really looked lost. Started the third quarter much better, getting a couple of set-shot opportunities and taking a nice mark as well. Kicked his only goal from one of these set-shots. Struggled to impact after that. Can't say I was overly impressed, but he can definitely run and move pretty quickly, so that's something.

Certainly needs a long time to develop body strength. Took some ruck contests and at one defensive 50 stoppage, Pruess threw him away like a piece of rubbish (went on to snatch the ball out of the air and boot it through). Will be interesting to see how he develops over the year.

From the VFL ranks...

- Liked the look of Marcus Alessi. Played a similar role to Crocker, but did push a bit further up the ground. Took a good mark, kicked one of our goals and offered an alternative target to Close and Crocker. Also showed some hardness around the football, always pleasing and particularly in the first game of the pre-season.

- Will Knight was probably the pick of the VFL guys. Think he was on our Development List last year? Found a lot of the ball and can certainly kick it a fair way. Also chipped in for a goal.

- Marty Hore was quite good as well. Played across half back and took some good intercept marks down there. Not sure he gets a game with all our half back running/rebounding flanker depth, but he's certainly handy to have around the joint on that game.

From the returning VFL ranks, Ben Moloney and Ash Close picked up where they left 2015 off. Cal Matheson and Gus Borthwick both had pretty good games, with a knack of popping up exactly when required. Lachie Howe played his first game for us after missing 2015 in rehab from a knee reco and competed reasonably well with Pruess.

One last thing. I'm not sure how many Kangaroos they had out there (can't have been more than 3 or 4?) but it was essentially VFL vs VFL. And what would please Tapping as a coach of young suburban players looking to make their way is that our VFL boys won against the VFL boys of a genuine top 4 aspirant team. Early days yet, but if we can keep the injury toll manageable across both levels, then VFL team is going to be set for another strong year.

Nice way to cap off the weekend.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 am

thanks MB! Always good to read your reviews on the VFL side. Very Happy
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks MB
Really interested in how Wyatt develops this year.
I liked your report on his athletic ability.
Remember MB for every poster on here there are at least 20 guests,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: