Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Yay or nay - should Britain vote to leave the EU?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:10 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ or come to the dark side Jo - you know you want to and we will welcome you Wink

My old man was a Pom and he was no good either!!

This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
Sigmund Freud (about the Irish) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hahaha! I'm looking into it! My visa is good for another year or two, I'll probably switch then! But I'll have to up my political knowledge, I want 100% on the test!

The same test that most Aussies born here would probably fail? Razz

5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:41 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
^ or come to the dark side Jo - you know you want to and we will welcome you Wink

My old man was a Pom and he was no good either!!

This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
Sigmund Freud (about the Irish) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hahaha! I'm looking into it! My visa is good for another year or two, I'll probably switch then! But I'll have to up my political knowledge, I want 100% on the test!

You're in the right place - VPT has the best political analysts in the country.

Just ask them - just don't tell them whether your are "left or right" you may be branded for life....
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Hehehhe to you both!

Actually though, usually someone here tells me which way I swing! I can never remember!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 pm

think positive wrote:
Hehehhe to you both!

Actually though, usually someone here tells me which way I swing! I can never remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFGjUqI9rE
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Wokko wrote:
think positive wrote:
Hehehhe to you both!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFGjUqI9rE

I was thinking more of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nKc4NCRrTc

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

OOPS!!!

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:05 am

Just noticed this, dopey me..

If I was a betting man, atm, I'd be leaning 60% probability for exit. (that's based upon my thought that's when something is as complex as this, people will vote with their prejudices)

Personally, it's the no campaign that's convincing me to vote for a stay. The NO campaign that I've picked up so far is sloganeering, zero substance. No analysis of possible scenarios, just a bunch of statements almost Trumpish in it's "Let's make Britain Great again" yada yada.... Reminds me of the SNP in the Scottish referendum... only presenting a best case scenario of sunny uplands etc etc. The No Campaign is almost George W Bush like in it's "just trust me, my gut tells me it's the best thing to do". I'd like a bit of real analysis, not some jingoistic shit dreamed up on the back of a beer coaster down the Red Lion after a boozy Saturday.

The big swinger will probably be the Syria refugee crisis. Have done a bit of work over in Greece the last six months, in and north of Salonika... locals there are saying the original tidal wave were genuine Syrians, mostly highly educated, polite and thankful for whatever help the greeks could give them. Now it's quite different, lots of Afghans, Pakistanis... economic refugees if you could call them that. The spectre of Johnny Foreigner will loom large.

The UK is big enough to go it alone, but if the case for exit consists of nothing but the flim flam being dished up now, I'll do a Francis Rossi and take with status quo.

LBJ kinda summed up the dilemma, (paraphrasing here)...do you want to be inside the tent pissing out, or outside copping the golden shower?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:43 am

Always the problem, generosity to the actually needy, brings greed by the not so needy.spoils it for everyone, cheers
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:48 am

"Greed". Interesting that you would use that word to describe someone merely wanting a life as good as yours.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 am

David wrote:
"Greed". Interesting that you would use that word to describe someone merely wanting a life as good as yours.

Those following the real refugees, the economic refugees mentioned in the post I was referring too, which anyone but you would realise I meant, can have a life "as good as mine" if they work for it. plenty of folk from poorer countries work 2-3 jobs, go to school at night, and immigrate legally like my old man did, Last time I looked we were not handed life on a platter. whats your criteria for this "good life?"

interesting how you, not me, have made those judgements.

Also Interesting YOU infer that I'm greedy. Anyone who really knows me would attest to the opposite.

Meanwhile, How are your selfless goals looking?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 pm

^Ask him yourself, but AFAICT David wasn't calling you greedy, he was questioning you using that label for so-called "economic refugees" from your perch of fortune.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:31 pm

^On another point, TP, talk of "selfless goals" is non-scientific mumbo jumbo. It's like asking people how their photosynthesis is going. Well, humans also don't do "selfless goals", because a "selfless" human is a dead or brain-damaged human by definition. Unless you're asking about someone's impending death, of course.

However, humans can do productive interaction whose benefits extend beyond itself. So, the human question here is actually, "are your interactions with the world (which we know and indeed hope you also benefit from) productive?"

And, much like making money, these productive interactions can be conducted through various channels at different scales, from narrow social interaction to politics.

At mass scale, one single political decision, such as invading Iraq, can cause hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, and trigger regional breakdown and mass terrorism. So, if you were able to contribute to stopping such evil, that would count as a phenomenally productive interaction with the world. And, if you're not insane, you would hope to benefit from doing that in whatever currency suits, from esteem to satisfaction to financial stability.

At the individual scale, one might impact impact in other ways, like providing a shoulder to cry on, giving sincere and valuable advice, offering a practical hand, giving someone encouragement, and so on. In between, one might start a local group which targets certain communities and issues, write a moving book which inspires some sort of betterment, or so on.

So, forget this talk of fairies, goblins and non-existent "selflessness". Ask the right questions.

How productive are your interactions with the world, TP?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:44 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Ask him yourself,

I was asking him

Last edited by think positive on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:48 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^On another point, TP, talk of "selfless goals" is non-scientific mumbo jumbo. It's like asking people how their photosynthesis is going. Well, humans also don't do "selfless goals", because a "selfless" human is a dead or brain-damaged human by definition. Unless you're asking about someone's impending death, of course.

However, humans can do productive interaction whose benefits extend beyond itself. So, the human question here is actually, "are your interactions with the world (which we know and indeed hope you also benefit from) productive?"

And, much like making money, these productive interactions can be conducted through various channels at different scales, from narrow social interaction to politics.

At mass scale, one single political decision, such as invading Iraq, can cause hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, and trigger regional breakdown and mass terrorism. So, if you were able to contribute to stopping such evil, that would count as a phenomenally productive interaction with the world. And, if you're not insane, you would hope to benefit from doing that in whatever currency suits, from esteem to satisfaction to financial stability.

At the individual scale, one might impact impact in other ways, like providing a shoulder to cry on, giving sincere and valuable advice, offering a practical hand, giving someone encouragement, and so on. In between, one might start a local group which targets certain communities and issues, write a moving book which inspires some sort of betterment, or so on.

So, forget this talk of fairies, goblins and non-existent "selflessness". Ask the right questions.

How productive are your interactions with the world, TP?

You do Babble on

And like David, twist the point, I never claimed to be selfless, or expected him to be, even mother theresa wasnt totally selfless!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17   

Jump to: