Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian Federal Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A rarity that WPT and I agree on something here politically but in the case of the Greens, I also share Keating's view on them.

David wrote:
My wishlist: overall, a hung parliament with Labor forming government – the Greens holding the balance of power in the lower house and sharing it with the Sex Party and Xenophon in the upper house.

More specifically:
ˇ David Feeney to lose his seat to the Greens in Batman - It's a possibility of happening especially in light of Feeney not declaring his property or even living in his electorate. Recent polling commissioned by the Greens suggested that they would win, but bigger independent polls suggest that Feeney is safe.

ˇ Jason Ball to knock off the sitting Liberal MP in Higgins - A very safe Liberal seat that has apparently turned marginal, but I think O'Dwyer still wins this and considering the Liberals have never relinquished the seat since it was created in 1949 suggests that history is on the Liberals side.

ˇ Peter Dutton to lose his seat. Don't care how - Expect Dutton to win with ease.

ˇ Bandt to hold Melbourne - Very likely Bandt will hold his seat in Melbourne.

ˇ Sex Party to win their first Senate seat - I don't really know enough about the popularity of the Sex Party to see whether they can win a Senate seat. I like them on a few issues because they take a Civil Libertarian on a few issues, but there's still many things I'm unsure about with them when it comes to policy making.

ˇ Derryn Hinch to not win a Senate seat - I'm not sure how popular he is amongst the general voting populace, but I suspect with his well-known profile he will gain more votes than a new ordinary Senate candidate would expect.

ˇ None of the far-right upper house candidates like Hanson to get in - I think we will see the likes of what you call far-right appear in the Senate such as the ALA, LDP and One Nation.

ˇ Windsor to send Bananaby packing - Barnaby to win narrowly and apparently TPP polling suggests that Barnaby leads 51-49.

ˇ Xenophon to pick up a couple of extra seats in both houses - Not really sure about his popularity, but I don't see him making massive gains if it occurs.

ˇ McGowan to hold Indi - I would like to see this happen. Cannot stand Mirabella.

ˇ Ricky Muir to get re-elected - A feel-good story of politics and I would be happy to see him in the Senate again. A likeable man who can relate to everyday people.

ˇ Michael Danby to lose to the Greens in Melbourne Ports (somewhat less likely) - Latest news from the Sydney Morning Herald discusses the possibilities. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-liberals-poised-to-take-melbourne-ports-as-labor-slips-to-third-greens-polling-says-20160626-gpsc7l.html

ˇ Oakeshott to win his seat too (even though he says he'll back Turnbull) - Cannot stand him after what I saw in 2010 during the hung parliament.

How many of those do you reckon I'll get?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 pm

David, how did I come to the conclusion that the Greens in the lower house make it harder for the ALP to win government (when they take seats from the ALP not the Libs)?

David this is tempting..... Wink

Nah, basically Keating got it in one as he often does. To dismiss it as merely serving the interests of the true believers is self serving at best & far too simplistic.

Then again Jezza starting to back me, so you might have something there Razz Wink

The impotence of the pure I suppose, the greens can promise anything as they have no responsibility & little accountability.

Anyway, I won't vote for those against Penny Wong - my choice for a sensible, rational & clever PM

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:22 pm

With Liberals looking to win.

This country be even worse off.

Shitty Internet,Medicare being pulled apart and Trying to get rid of Welfare.

So unless you are Mega Rich. You be even more Worse off

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Turnbull said he's guaranteed medicare funding. Shorten has been using the idea of 'saving' medicare as his main campaign weapon, but in reality people see through his scare campaign.

No government will get rid of welfare whether it's Labor, Liberals or the Greens. There might be a higher threshold on who can claim certain welfare payments but there's nothing wrong with regulating the welfare system to ensure it's not being exploited or money isn't being unnecessarily wasted.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:44 pm

FWIW I agree with Culprit that most people made their minds up a while ago and have tuned out the last few weeks.

I also tend to just consider the Greens as a protest party/lobby group. They are eating into Labors vote and will continue to do so if they maintain their current path but all that's doing is weakening Labor not the Libs or Nats. I can't see them ever being able to actually form government although they may end up in a coalition with Labor at some point. I do agree with David's opinion of the Labor party at present though.

Overall I think the Greens are good for Australian politics but I can't take them seriously as a legitimate 3rd option.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Turnbull said he's guaranteed medicare funding. Shorten has been using the idea of 'saving' medicare as his main campaign weapon, but in reality people see through his scare campaign.

No government will get rid of welfare whether it's Labor, Liberals or the Greens. There might be a higher threshold on who can claim certain welfare payments but there's nothing wrong with regulating the welfare system to ensure it's not being exploited or money isn't being unnecessarily wasted.

Don't Howard Gurantee he would NOT bring in the GST?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:06 pm

OK I will try to be Worse off[quote] Turnbull said he's guaranteed medicare funding
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Julia Gillard - "There will be no Carbon Tax under the government I lead"

Not sure how bringing Howard into the discussion is relevant apart from displaying your hate for the Liberal Party, when you can find quotes from both sides that have shown their lying ways. This isn't a party problem, it's a problem with politicians in general on both sides.

Politicians from both sides lie! People have woken up to this fact and are now voting for alternative parties instead, especially in the Senate.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

He took the tax to an election, was the last brave election move made by a pollie.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Julia Gillard - "There will be no Carbon Tax under the government I lead"

Not sure how bringing Howard into the discussion is relevant apart from displaying your hate for the Liberal Party, when you can find quotes from both sides that have shown their lying ways. This isn't a party problem, it's a problem with politicians in general on both sides.

Politicians from both sides lie! People have woken up to this fact and are now voting for alternative parties instead, especially in the Senate.

Well I voted for the Pirate Party for the Senate

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

He took the tax to an election, was the last brave election move made by a pollie.

Hewson proposed the idea of a GST in the early 1990s, but I remember reading somewhere that Keating may have proposed the idea of a GST as treasurer when Hawke was Prime Minister.

Howard was adamant that he wouldn't introduce a GST in the lead up to the 1996 election, but he changed his stance in the lead up to the 1998 election which he won by a small majority over Kim Beasley.

The bill to introduce the tax was passed in 1999 and commenced on July 1 2000 and the rest as they say is history.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Jezza wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Hewson proposed the idea of a GST in the early 1990s, but I remember reading somewhere that Keating may have proposed the idea of a GST as treasurer when Hawke was Prime Minister.

Howard was adamant that he wouldn't introduce a GST in the lead up to the 1996 election, but he changed his stance in the lead up to the 1998 election which he won by a small majority over Kim Beasley.

The bill to introduce the tax was passed in 1999 and commenced on July 1 2000 and the rest as they say is history.

Yeah, Hewson was incredibly brave putting the whole Coalition policy document into the public sphere... then got eviscerated lol.

Howard first said he wouldn't bring it in, then when he changed his mind he took the tax to an election rather than bring it in by stealth and lies. I think that one moment of honesty that almost cost him an election paved the way for his very long term as PM.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:59 pm

More Proof of the Libs trying to Kill medicare:

https://www.facebook.com/LaborConnect/photos/a.398667261788.195403.307341981788/10154359393421789/?type=3&theater

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:32 pm

^

My GP has been doing that for years, as have many others. I don't recall being bulk billed by a GP this millennium.

It's hardly proof of anything, sorry Dave. The whole medicare thing is just a scare campaign by Shorten.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:46 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David, how did I come to the conclusion that the Greens in the lower house make it harder for the ALP to win government (when they take seats from the ALP not the Libs)?

David this is tempting..... Wink

The point is that, unless you think there's a remote chance of the Greens making a deal with a Coalition government (in which case I have several bridges down here in Hampton to sell you), then it's reasonable to consider Labor and the Greens a voting bloc for these purposes. So it's like saying that a vote for the Nationals instead of the Liberals could elect Labor – in other words, complete nonsense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 26 of 47   

Jump to: