Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian Federal Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not unusual for victims to come forward years, even decades after the offence. Think Rolf Harris and Bill Cosby. The reportage rate of sexual assaults is notoriously low, often because victims don't want to be dragged through the court process and just want to get on with their lives, or are too traumatised to do anything about it at the time. Often a former assailant's emergence into the public eye, or allegation of other sex crimes related to them, will give victims the courage to speak out about their experience. That may seem opportunistic, but there seems to be plenty of cases where genuine victims do this.

Of course we should be absolutely clear that the police decided not to press charges in this case due to lack of evidence and apparently question marks over the credibility of the woman involved, and we can't ever presume that smoke = fire (otherwise it's far too easy for someone to maliciously destroy someone else's career). But I'm just wondering if the Libs and/or their News Corp PR reps will find it too tempting to resist, particularly if it looks like Labor have a genuine chance of winning. My understanding of politics, whether it's federal, local or just student level, is that people will generally sink to any level to gain power (Peter Slipper is the case that most immediately comes to mind). I guess we'll see what happens.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:11 pm

David wrote:
It's not unusual for victims to come forward years, even decades after the offence. Think Rolf Harris and Bill Cosby. The reportage rate of sexual assaults is notoriously low, often because victims don't want to be dragged through the court process and just want to get on with their lives, or are too traumatised to do anything about it at the time.

It's not unusual for victims to never come forward either. Sad

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:
It's not unusual for victims to come forward years, even decades after the offence. Think Rolf Harris and Bill Cosby. The reportage rate of sexual assaults is notoriously low, often because victims don't want to be dragged through the court process and just want to get on with their lives, or are too traumatised to do anything about it at the time.

It's not unusual for victims to never come forward either. Sad

Very true Skids, a lot keep it to themselves. Crying or Very sad

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 pm

HAL is always thinking.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:41 am

The AFP raiding ALP offices in an election campaign just killed their independence.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/the-australian-federal-police-are-raiding-the-melbourne-offices-of-labor-staffers/news-story/04b4a1c1fb320520651a564d78dcf87c
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:59 am

The ALP were never independent.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:58 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The ALP were never independent.
I should reword that. Posting before coffee is a no no Razz
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Shows what Idiots are in Charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxXj0KCkuUM

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Is Richard in trouble? He's a hypocrite if this is proven to be factually correct.

Quote:
Greens leader Richard Di Natale fails to declare home, pays au pairs low wage

Greens leader Richard Di Natale failed to declare his family farm in Victoria's Otway Ranges for 15 months, breaching parliamentary rules and potentially placing him in "serious contempt" of the Senate.

And Senator Di Natale has paid three au pairs to help with his family as little as $150 a week after tax, or $3.75 an hour - based on a standard 40-hour week - as well as room and board worth $300 a week.

Full article below:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-greens-leader-richard-di-natale-fails-to-declare-home-pays-au-pairs-low-wage-20160519-goywxq.html

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Even if it is true (and he's issued a complete denial), I think he's a long, long way behind David Feeney.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

As the boring election continues, we have had the race card played. Personal attacks on both sides. Leaking of material to media outlets. Resignations and the surprise is how much Turdbull is dropping in approval. Now I haven't taken much notice and these are what I grab whilst travelling to and from work. At the moment I will still call the Greens as the big winners come July 2.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:18 pm

As bad as this sounds, I live in the safe Labor seat of Scullin. Has been since the mid 50's.

I take no interest in elections federal or state. I'll vote for who I vote for, for whatever reasons they may be, knowing that Labor will win the seat.

Personally I'd take more of an interest if it was a marginal seat, but not safe.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 pm

Same here, Brenny, except mine is Goldstein so safe Coalition. Tim Wilson doesn't even need to turn up.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm in McEwan - the most flippity flip- flop seat in the country!

We've had elections won by just 6 votes, re-counts, high court action and at the last election Liberal poling more votes but those whacked out zany folk called the Greens giving their preference to a perennial loser to get Labor over the line by 300 odd.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Jezza wrote:
Is Richard in trouble? He's a hypocrite if this is proven to be factually correct.

Quote:
Greens leader Richard Di Natale fails to declare home, pays au pairs low wage

Greens leader Richard Di Natale failed to declare his family farm in Victoria's Otway Ranges for 15 months, breaching parliamentary rules and potentially placing him in "serious contempt" of the Senate.

And Senator Di Natale has paid three au pairs to help with his family as little as $150 a week after tax, or $3.75 an hour - based on a standard 40-hour week - as well as room and board worth $300 a week.

Full article below:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-greens-leader-richard-di-natale-fails-to-declare-home-pays-au-pairs-low-wage-20160519-goywxq.html

Now that it's been shown to be untrue do you need to post a disclaimer or say your post in using bold & size 18 font is wrong, got it wrong or possibly retract it? Or does your wrong post merely perpetuate the smear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 19 of 47   

Jump to: