Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian Federal Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/blogs/federal-election-2016-political-advertising-lacks-class/news-story/06f2049bdc8a2a651cd6cc0bc2b88779
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

An amusing and enlightening documentary about Australia's far right parties, presented by John Safran:

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/705551427989/The-Goddam-Election-with-John-Safran

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 am

stui magpie wrote:
Article in the Aged about Julie Bishop that has one of those questionnaires down the bottom asking questions to see how you align with each of the parties.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016-opinion/julie-bishop-the-coalitions-gold-standard-electoral-asset-and-just-as-lethal-20160627-gpsjwz.html

Interesting on the graph once you finished, I got almost in the middle, slightly to the right and on the progressive side rather than conservative. Basically in the bottom left corner of the top right quadrant.

I got bottom right corner of top left quadrant, same as you though Stui, almost bang on the middle.
Voted the other day with no idea who to vote for, both candidates were there. Should've asked them each why I should vote for them and then decided (there was no one around, I'm sure they'd have been happy for a chat). Instead, voted & left with vote-regret.
But really, what difference will my one vote make? I'll still pay too much tax, healthcare will still be crap, can't see anything changing for me.
Oh, AND women will apparently still have to pay GST on 'feminine hygiene' products, which is THE biggest unfair rip off of a tax ever. Fair enough, tax smokes & booze, that's a choice. Women don't have a choice. I guess men decided to tax them as they know it's a tax they'll never have to pay Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:15 pm

^ I've never figured that one out – or why Shorten so adamantly refused to get on board with exempting them, when it seems like such a painless thing to do as well as a relatively easy public relations move. How much tax revenue are we depending on from GST on feminine sanitary items, really? And how can anyone justify such an unfair tax when so many other essential goods are exempt?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm

I take the point, but I think there's already too many exemptions which chew up money in managing them and add complexity. Id prefer it to be flat across the board, no exemptions at all.

The easier something is to administer the less of the money collected goes to pay administration.

Anyway Luvdids, goot to see you're a far right union hater like me (well, according to some on here I am anyway) Razz Wink Laughing

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:14 am

My concern was that the election would stop Australia plus showing the footy but they are showing all 6 games this weekend live. Well technically Thursday is not the weekend. Can't see why they need Thursday night games in a shortened round.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:07 pm

What bunch of mendacious cnuts & plicks: That is the right wing rump of the Liberal party. Orchestrated by the Mad Misogynist Miners Monk & continued on by his loyal servants. Marriage equality. Lib scumbags reveal themselves yet again.

....It's a neat pre-election trick in which the Coalition is taking the political dividend of appearing modern and progressive, while studiously avoiding discussion of critical details of its plebiscite......

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016-opinion/election-2016-malcolm-turnbulls-marriage-equality-faustian-pact-is-unravelling-20160629-gpu8su.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Anyway Luvdids, goot to see you're a far right union hater like me (well, according to some on here I am anyway) Razz Wink Laughing

Nah, too many adjectives in front of the union word Wink Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What bunch of mendacious cnuts & plicks: That is the right wing rump of the Liberal party. Orchestrated by the Mad Misogynist Miners Monk & continued on by his loyal servants. Marriage equality. Lib scumbags reveal themselves yet again.

....It's a neat pre-election trick in which the Coalition is taking the political dividend of appearing modern and progressive, while studiously avoiding discussion of critical details of its plebiscite......

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016-opinion/election-2016-malcolm-turnbulls-marriage-equality-faustian-pact-is-unravelling-20160629-gpu8su.html

I don't have a problem with having a plebiscite on the issue. What if the majority disagree?

If the proposal to allow gay marriage succeeds then anyone who doesn't support it in Parliament is actively going against the wishes of the majority of Australians and should be arseholed out of parliament.

It's the role of an MP to represent the Australian people, not just the noisy minority.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 pm

^ yeah except we wouldn't need a plebiscite or a vote or anything else at all if little Johnny hadn't changed the Marriage Act in 2004 from 2 consenting adults to a man and a woman to deliberately stop same sex folk getting married!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/27/1085461875956.html

I reckon the plebiscite is a complete waste of money - they were happy to change it when it suited them in 2004 and quite frankly why should anyone get to vote on something that really has zero personal impact on their life except to annoy them because it doesn't fit with their beliefs - no one is asking them to turn and marry some one of the same sex Rolling Eyes

This has been around some time but says it all for me Laughing

https://voxpopulisphere.com/2015/08/01/why-cant-i-own-a-canadian/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm

^ Honestly, it'd be a mark of huge disrespect to the Australian public to go to the expense and effort of holding a plebiscite and then vote against the majority decision in parliament. But we already have a promise from Bernardi, Abetz et all that they're going to do just that.

In situations like that, MPs should have no concern other than to ratify the result – and I'm not just saying that because of my own stance on this issue (the same would go for British MPs voting against leaving the EU now the referendum has passed). Turnbull should simply make the plebiscite result binding on his party room. That he won't do it is very telling and shows the grip that the backbench has on him.

Last edited by David on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm

^

Fair point, I wasn't aware of that change to the act.

It may be a waste of time but it also gives the change a legitimacy that can't easily be undone.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 pm

What have I missed?

The coalition is now at an almost unbackable price of 2/25
While the ALP has drifted to 8/1....

It's all over if those moves are anything to go by.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 pm

I think the consensus was that the Liberals were almost home with a week left to run and Labor would have had to have an astoundingly good final week of campaigning to catch them. If anything, it's gone the other way – Shorten's looked shaky over the past few days and put his foot in it a bit by threatening to veto the plebiscite (an option, it emerges, that he vocally supported just three years ago).

Perhaps a small chance of a hung parliament if the Xenophons, Windsor, Oakeshott and a few Greens get up, but otherwise I think we'll be seeing a victory speech from Turnbull. Mad

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Betting markets tend to follow the polls and are no more reliable. I picked the libs to win between 74-76 seats about 4 weeks ago and still think that's how things will end up. Turnbull minority govt with support from McGowan and maybe Katter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 24 of 47   

Jump to: