Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Negative Gearing Spat: Politics Finally Gets Interesting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hatred for negative gearing? Why should people pay taxes on an income loss?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Because, basically, it allows people with multiple properties to escape paying their fair share of taxes, and artificially inflates housing prices – effectively keeping a large percentage of Australians out of the housing market altogether.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:35 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
I'm not voting for any of them - just going to draw a big sad face!

Think I'll join you

You both might have second thoughts now. Smile

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-21/labor-to-introduce-animal-testing-ban-policy/7187682

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:53 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
I'm not voting for any of them - just going to draw a big sad face!

Think I'll join you

You both might have second thoughts now. Smile

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-21/labor-to-introduce-animal-testing-ban-policy/7187682

No it's a start but not enough for my vote!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Wokko wrote:
Why the hatred for negative gearing? Why should people pay taxes on an income loss?

This is a better response to your question, Wokko.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2016/feb/22/scott-morrisons-response-to-labors-negative-gearing-plan-is-truly-disturbing?CMP=soc_567

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 am

^Excellent article. Appallingly, one can see this highly-damaging handout sliding through another election. I just hope Shorten doesn't set its elimination back another decade, but one fears the worst.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:58 am

Not taxing someone isn't giving them a handout.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:43 pm

What's the difference between a tax concession and a handout? In many cases it's actually money paid directly to you via a government department (the ATO) at the end of the financial year. You can say "it was your money to begin with" etc., but we live in a society where people pay taxes, and if you're granted a concession you're getting +$ in your bank account that you wouldn't have otherwise had. So it's all just semantics, really.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:23 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_as_theft

If someone breaks into your house, steals all your things then comes back in June and gives a household full of different items they've stolen from other people they've still robbed you.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Can't remember the last time we got a tax refund! As for the negative gearing one, that's incorrect. You don't get money back. You can claim for things you have paid for to maintain the property, and you claim the interest on the loan. You also claim the expenses associated with the agent fees, but you do not get it all back, the idea is to build wealth by the property increasing in value, and also yes, help in someone paying off your loan. But if it's interest only, your relying on the increase in value, and you still get only a percentage tax break. You are still out of pocket when you have a rental property. Right now my tenant is on a really good wicket, her rent is way under valued, I chose to do that because she's a good tenant, or was! However, she has started carrying on about stuff like a tree branch that fell down. So chop it up and put it in the recycling bin we pay for. Nope, you come and do it (it's not that big guys doesn't need a chain saw!). We fix everything ASAP, no complaints. But yeah, her sudden run of little things means the rent will go up next chance I get (no you can't just do it anytime, and by as much as is needed to catch it up which is about $45 a week) by 10-15 dollars. Just like my spoilt kids, I'm not letting someone take advantage of us! Maybe she will crack it and move, no biggie, I'll put the rent up $45 for the next person. I'm not emotionally attached like I was about our old house, but it would piss me off if it got damaged, just because I just don't get people living like that! It's happened before, but not like last year! We won't be buying any more rental properties, not for domestic purposes anyway, too much hassle. Factories though, where the tenant pays everything, even the rates, now that's the way to go! So yeah, the rental market, and let's face it, there will always be a need, just lost a really good landlord! (This remaining rental property has not been negatively geared for a few years, by the way!) you do realise that negatively geared just means the expenses outstrip the income yeah? is add the expenses including interest, and it all costs more than the rent comes too? It's not really free money.

Edit
Actually I just went around there, the "tree branch" is a bush in the poorly maintained garden, and there is an illegal pool in the back yard (I can see it from the driveway).

Last edited by think positive on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:40 pm

David wrote:
What's the difference between a tax concession and a handout? In many cases it's actually money paid directly to you via a government department (the ATO) at the end of the financial year. You can say "it was your money to begin with" etc., but we live in a society where people pay taxes, and if you're granted a concession you're getting +$ in your bank account that you wouldn't have otherwise had. So it's all just semantics, really.

No need to explain it to people who understand that contributions are negotiated, not decreed by the gods.

As discussed in the past, Wokko has a really good view of the world from his front gate, which is lucky given he wouldn't be caught dead utilising an asset he doesn't personally own. He once purchased half a suburb just to cycle to a shop for a carton of milk. Sadly, by the time he got there they were out of stock, a fact he couldn't have known in advance because his personal broadband network was still under construction.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:45 pm

You're a walking, talking logical fallacy.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:50 pm

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:

No need to explain it to people who understand that contributions are negotiated, not decreed by the gods.

As discussed in the past, Wokko has a really good view of the world from his front gate, which is lucky given he wouldn't be caught dead utilising an asset he doesn't personally own. He once purchased half a suburb just to cycle to a shop for a carton of milk. Sadly, by the time he got there they were out of stock, a fact he couldn't have known in advance because his personal broadband network was still under construction.

Same old same old

Here we all are having a discussion without resorting to name calling or anything else, an exchange of ideas, reasonable people having a conversation. And you have to post a diatribe like this! This is much nastier than simply calling someone a fool. But I'm also sure I don't need to explain that to you. You know it. You get away with it and keep doing it. I know you get away with it because I constantly push the blue button and nothing is done. For what ever reason you get to once again destroy a perfectly healthy thread with your not so veiled nasty crap. Enjoy

Last edited by think positive on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 pm

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Oh, you are a poet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: