Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many more players will debut this year?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many more out of Bianco, Chugg, Ginnivan, McInnes, McMahon, Tohill and Wilson will get a senior game in 2021?
None of them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
29%
 29%  [ 7 ]
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 am
Post subject: How many more players will debut this year?Reply with quote

We've already had five debutants in the first eight rounds, and a few others have been performing well at VFL level. So I'm wondering how many more new players we'll see get a senior game this year – particularly as there are, perhaps somewhat remarkably, still seven on the list waiting to debut: senior listed players Trent Bianco, Reef McInnes, Liam McMahon and rookies Isaac Chugg, Jack Ginnivan, Anton Tohill and Tom Wilson (and it's entirely possible we might pick up another couple of untried players in the mid-season draft).

By way of comparison, here is the total number of debutants we've had over each year in the last decade:

2020: 6
2019: 2
2018: 7
2017: 3
2016: 6
2015: 5
2014: 4
2013: 8
2012: 7

We last had 9 debutants in a season under Malthouse in 2007, and last had 10 in 2004 (you have to go all the way back to 1987 for a higher number than that). Anyone reckon there's a chance we might reach or even surpass those numbers this year?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that likely. I’ll say a total of 11 debutants this season.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

In addition to:

Rantall
Macrae
Henry
McCreery
Poulter

I'm hoping we also get to see:

Bianco
Wilson
Mcinnes

That would be 8 in total, and I can't ever remember so many debutants in one season.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 am

As noted above, last time we had eight was back in 2013 – that crop comprised Brodie Grundy, Josh Thomas, Jarrod Witts, Ben Kennedy, Sam Dwyer, Adam Oxley, Jack Frost and Nick’s BB’s own favourite son Kyle Martin. And yeah, I also reckon we’ll end up with that many this year (as an absolute minimum).
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:06 am

If Bianco can stay injury free, he’s a good thing for the second half of the season. He’s a very focussed kid, so he will leave no stone unturned to get his chance.
Wilson on weight of numbers needs a chance and that now looks more likely with Howes injury. Not sure if he’s any good coming from a basketball background but he’s now doing it easy in the VFL.

Ginnivan is the smoky for mine. He’s a natural small forward and been playing there all his life ( 110 goals for Castlemaine U9s 😂 ) He plays where we have the most vacancies, so he might get a taste at some point.

I’m not as convinced on McInnes in 2021. He’s still learning midfield and he didn’t even play midfield in 2019 for Chargers. Hes also a bottom ager with a fresh ankle injury. Wouldn’t hurt to leave him in the VFL this season and review him again in 2022.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Bianco will for sure. Especially if he backs up his impressive VFL game last week.

McInnes would have for sure, but now he has an ankle injury. So He may be looking at 2022, depending on recovery time and how he performs when he gets back.

Wilson would probably be next in line.

Chugg, Ginnivan and McMahon might have to wait a bit longer. Tohill has an uphill battle.

If we pick up players in the mid-season draft, then we may see more, but right now, I voted 2 (Bianco and Wilson). Would have voted 3 if McInnes wasn't injured.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm

The only GOOD thing to come out of our long injury list, is that it gives us a chance to blood our kids, and i reckon we should play, debut, as many kids as we can, get at least SOMETHING POSITIVE out of a ordinary season.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:20 pm

9 Debutants in 2007, man those were great days, I reckon I rated just about all 9 of them too, a great year.

For this year would love to see Bianco get a run, but other than that, maybe Wilson? That would probably be enough..although Tohill would have to be in the last chance salon

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm

David wrote:
As noted above, last time we had eight was back in 2013 – that crop comprised Brodie Grundy, Josh Thomas, Jarrod Witts, Ben Kennedy, Sam Dwyer, Adam Oxley, Jack Frost and Nick’s BB’s own favourite son Kyle Martin. And yeah, I also reckon we’ll end up with that many this year (as an absolute minimum).

Is Jack Frost still on a list? I know there is a Frost playing somewhere...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Nope, spent a couple of years on Brisbane's list after leaving us, but had to retire due to concussion at the end of 2018.

Interesting point on 2007! I'm inclined to agree. Of the nine, three became future premiership players (Alan Toovey, Ben Reid and Tyson Goldsack) and another three were more than handy (Marty Clarke, Brad Dick and Shannon Cox, who from memory had a really good first season before his form and fitness dropped off). Danny Stanley never got much of a chance with us but went on to be a key player at another club, and Ryan Cook played finals for us in 2008. The only real bust of the lot was Daniel Nicholls, who I honestly don't remember at all (he only managed the one senior game). So yes, a strong case for that being one of our strongest crops, I reckon.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Danny Nichols and that other bloke whose name escapes me, went to the Suns for a while, they were getting BOG in the VFL week in week out, couldn't get a crack at it, or a prolonged crack in any case.

Still say Bard Dick could have been the difference in 2011 if he could have got his body together, him and Kraks in either pocket? Forget about it

Had a few crackers debut in years either side, Daisy, Pendles, Dawes and maybe Sidey and Beams

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm

I think Stanley might be the one you're thinking of (at least, in terms of going to the Suns) – he ended up being a cornerstone of their line-up in their first few years in the comp. I recall he was doing well in the VFL, too, but not sure if that was the case with Nicholls; at any rate, I don't think he ever ended up on another AFL list.

Agreed re: Dick. Could have been anything.

(Interestingly, just to return to Jack Frost, I just randomly found that his younger brother Sam currently plays for Hawthorn, and actually debuted before him all the way back in 2012 – I wasn't aware that they were related!)

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:10 pm

Sam! Yes, saw him the other day and was thinking of Jack, they look the same.

And yes, Stanley was the other bloke

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 pm

Stanley looked like the second-coming of Nathan Buckley in the VFL - but just wasn't quick enough to do the job at senior level. He got 5 senior games over 3 years at Collingwood - and it is fair to say he showed very little in any of them. I don't remember Nicholls ever impressing me in the VFL as a potential senior player.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Danny Nicholls... Shocked

His Mrs cost him dearly. Because she was going out thinking she was the queen of the world because she was dating an AFL player. And then she ran her mouth about a few too many things and when confronted about it, well he didnt take it well.

Career over after 1 game and three disposals. Still that's one more game than a lot of other people will play.

Might have gotten another chance had there been the same opportunities delisted players get these days. Or if the Suns or Giants were around.

But the lesson here is, dont tell porky pies, especially about your teammates.

Was last playing for East Malvern the last I heard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: