Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Straits of "Gi Gaultar".

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldsack is the obvious choice.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 am

On reflection, this should probably be here, rather than in the pre-game thread:

Pies4shaw wrote:
Warbler wrote:
If it comes down to a choice between White & Gault then it has to be Gault , he at least has some upside & may improve .

White , well we all know what you're gonna get there .

Maybe an " easy " game may be good for Gaults confidence . The powers that be at CFC have kept him hanging around for 3-4 years , we may as well give him a decent run at it ( as long as it's not costing us games )

GO PIES

This is his fifth year at the Club. He is 23 and a half. He is about 6 weeks younger than Witts but Witts never gets cut this sort of slack by supporters. We can scarcely even dream of Gault having a 21 hit out, 8 disposal, 6 tackle game - but Witts had one against the Swans and - despite a very fine showing in the pre-season (where he was generally the first choice ruckman and had 74 hit outs, compared to Grundy's 22) - the calls for him to be dumped were deafening.

I also felt Witts needed to be dropped - he was extremely disappointing against the Swans - but I don't understand why some supporters would make that call but, the following week, want to give a guy who has shown absolutely nothing, two weeks in a row, another opportunity in a struggling team. Let's be blunt - but for a lot of help from the umpires in the last 3 minutes of that match, that was a 10-goal forward line, even with Fasolo playing a genuine blinder.

My primary concern, ultimately, isn't that Gault has barely touched the ball - it's that he has shown nothing at senior level that reflects his apparent ability in the VFL and in practice matches to run to the right spot and make a good contest.

Because, let's face it, despite Balme saying his elevation was "a no-brainer", Gault's preseason form wasn't that great - he kicked 8 goals in his three games (including a few handballed over the top to him in the goal-square) but only had 11 other kicks in total in those games (average 6.3 kicks, 2 handballs and two hit-outs). Thus, except for his failure to trouble the scorers, his output in the first two rounds hasn't been much different from his output in the NAB Challenge.

Given that Moore (who will probably be a great player, in due course) is also very definitely wearing L-plates (total of 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks and 2 goals 1 so far in 2016) and Cloke is struggling to find touch, why would we play a third-tall in the forward line who has shown almost nothing? That would, of course, be fine if this were just a "development" year and we were looking to draft picks at the end of the season but that probably isn't the plan.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm

3rd, your man is in dire straits and needs you! But you're so far away! Here I was thinking you were brothers in arms. Instead, you're twisting by the pool with some lady writer while your man is being dragged down to the waterline. If this is your latest trick, it's a cruel one!

Love over gold, my friend, love over gold! It's not too late for you and your friend!

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:28 pm

slipping away from you 3rd.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Howe comes in for Gault. We then have a ruck issue of course (so reluctant to use Moore in the ruck).

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:34 pm

Howe is under-done and reported.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed, obviously. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed, obviously. Wink

So Moore has to play 2nd Ruck?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Someone should. Gault won't be.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Bruce played the role for the Saints last night so Moore might be a fair option.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed, obviously. Wink

Gault hardly played in the ruck in round 1, we could make do.

I'm just a bit tired of us playing terribly underperforming players just because we need them to play a few minutes in the ruck, whether it's Witts, Gault, Grundy or White. It's not a very important position, I'd rather make do with a non-ruck for those few minutes rather than a slow, struggling tall forward hurting us for almost the entire game.

The obvious replacement isn't Goldsack anyway, White's the one that makes perfect sense but he seems to be out of favour for whatever reason. Next on the list would be Howe if he gets off his report, he should be ready having played two full games.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

If they thought White was a chance to play forward/ruck soon, they probably wouldn't be playing him at full-back in the VFL.

I chose Goldsack as the "obvious choice" from the four names you proffered - White (likely to be overlooked for the reason I've just mentioned), Witts (because he was hopeless last time he played seniors and he hasn't played a game, since, because of his hand-injury - even though he's the probable senior first ruck, I'd like to see him play a competitive game in the VFL before he comes back up), Howe (because, from recent VFL reports, he was a few weeks away from match fitness and, in any event, is on report) and Goldsack.

In any event, assuming that one were choosing between Howe and Goldsack to replace Gault, the (public) plan is to play Howe as a high half-forward/wing, so that leaves the little question of who, over 5'7" would play in the forward pocket - if they're going to stick to their own plan, they need to make another change (Goldsack in) or shuffle some deckchairs. I am also mindful that Goldsack played as 3rd tall for virtually an entire season in (was it?) 2014.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:15 pm

is white being played back part of his education or a redefining of him?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 pm

^^^ Good question. It occurred to me that they might be playing him back because it should help to keep his focus and concentration (you will recall that he has had a tendency to go missing for the odd half of a game from time to time). On the other hand, is that something you do seriously with a 28 year old KPF? I don't know. It worked for Fas - but then again, he was young and could play footy.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:06 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Good question. It occurred to me that they might be playing him back because it should help to keep his focus and concentration (you will recall that he has had a tendency to go missing for the odd half of a game from time to time). On the other hand, is that something you do seriously with a 28 year old KPF? I don't know. It worked for Fas - but then again, he was young and could play footy.

My guess is the club is trying to have some insurance at CHB in case Reid gets injured again. In any case, if he develops a defensive side to his game, that will help him become a more flexible player for us wherever he is used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11   

Jump to: