Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Straits of "Gi Gaultar".

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
John Wren wrote:
looks a mental thing to me. needs the belief he can cut it on the big stage. he looked like he was worried out of his forward contests.

we should play him next week as his height will worry the saints backline.

Absolutely. Looked overwhelmed by the occasion, tentative, lacking confidence to attack and petrified of making a mistake.

I'd give him another week but give him a good talking to, say that the coaching staff believes he belongs out there but if he doesn't, he won't be.

he should play for the next three weeks. all day games. then a decision needs to be made for the west coast game.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Is that really viable? He has been worse than a passenger two weeks in a row. I'd be happy to keep playing him if he was running to the right places, contesting, using his size, tackling hard and showing signs, even without getting much of the ball. The only sign I've seen from him recently is that he is for falling over in every contest. It's disappointing because I thought he might take the step at the start of this season but, despite preseason glimpses, he doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

Moreover, the "showing signs" position is held down by Moore (who still only had 4 kicks and 3 handballs, even though he is starting to have some impact) and I'm not sure we can afford another. Maybe if this were 2011 and Collingwood was steam-rolling teams but, in truth, we're very average at the moment and I think the need to field a competitive 22 probably prevails over giving Gault another chance - it could actually cost us the game.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I lost all hope for him when he lead out in front and only put up one hand in a marking contest. This came after a strong and positive build up going forward. That stuff up resulted in 9thmond turning the ball over with ease.

The other incident that stood out for mine was when he had the ball 45 out on a slight angle and he didn't know what to do with it. I'll tell you what to do with it mate. Go back and have a bloody set shot. If you can't kick that distance as an afl forward then footy's not for you.

Is it confidence, is it skill... what is it with him? The club obviously sees something in him otherwise they wouldn't have bothered elevating him to the senior list.

Right now he's a passenger and we're not in a position to carry passengers. Develop him more in the vfl.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:36 pm

It was obvious that he was rattled last night. The kid has some real potential but needs to grow in maturity and learn how to handle being on the big stage. I would continue to play him in the hope that he will continue to develop with exposure. Don't let last night's performance define him and ensure he never realises his potential.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Reminds me of Tranquilli........
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Gee's, it only seems like yesterday that posters were convinced Gault and Moore had clearly gone past Cloke. Fickle is the word that comes to mind.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 pm

jackcass wrote:
Gee's, it only seems like yesterday that posters were convinced Gault and Moore had clearly gone past Cloke. Fickle is the word that comes to mind.

Well, one of these two has gone past Cloke and it's not Gault.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Well, there's a riddle, since it isn't Moore, either!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:29 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Well, one of these two has gone past Cloke and it's not Gault.

Evidence from last night don't indicate either have, both had less impact on the game, less possessions, less scoreboard impact, but don't let the facts cloud your delusions.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:47 pm

The competition is too ruthless to carry a player for more than a couple of weeks. He's had 2 weeks, but given us nothing, so he needs to go back to the VFL to get his hands on the ball and earn a recall.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Surely he'll be dropped, I don't think we can afford to carry him. His last 5 games have produced a grand total of 37 disposals (9 of them clangers) - 19 kicks, 18 handballs, 7 marks, 12 hitouts and 2 goals. They're the sort of totals you like to see for at worst, 3 games, not 5! I don't think anyone in the history of the game has been gifted an opportunity on the back of such horrible figures. Look, I really feel for him but it's back to the magoos, I'm afraid.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Is that really viable? He has been worse than a passenger two weeks in a row. I'd be happy to keep playing him if he was running to the right places, contesting, using his size, tackling hard and showing signs, even without getting much of the ball. The only sign I've seen from him recently is that he is for falling over in every contest. It's disappointing because I thought he might take the step at the start of this season but, despite preseason glimpses, he doesn't seem to have progressed at all.

Moreover, the "showing signs" position is held down by Moore (who still only had 4 kicks and 3 handballs, even though he is starting to have some impact) and I'm not sure we can afford another. Maybe if this were 2011 and Collingwood was steam-rolling teams but, in truth, we're very average at the moment and I think the need to field a competitive 22 probably prevails over giving Gault another chance - it could actually cost us the game.

I get your point but who comes in? He not only plays key forward but 2nd ruck meaning that Moore doesn't have to get smashed doing that role.

Option 1 is to bring Witts back and play him and grundy together.

Option 2 is White

Option 3 is bring in Howe or Goldsack or another small and rely on Moore and maybe Cloke to provide back up ruck

Option 4 is elevate Cox for Swan and put him in.

I'm not sure if any of these 4 options, right now, are better than giving the kid some time.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 am

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Derek_Shaw.html

It's hard to find a favourable comparison.

Just sayin'.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

Gault struggles at vfl level not sure why people expected it to be different at AFL level.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:24 am

On performance he shouldn't be playing next week. It's not just that he doesn't look like doing anything, he is actively hurting us by clogging up the 50 and not being able to chase rebounding defenders.

I don't even understand where the positivity around him came from. Averaging a couple of goals in practise games, with a number being kicked from the goal square, is not very impressive.

It's strange that White is now playing in defense in the VFL, because he is clearly a better player than Gault. His extra mobility and running ability means he fits alongside Cloke and Moore far more easily. He was criticised heavily last year but averaged 1.5 goals per game which is hardly terrible. Maybe Gault finally gets it and starts showing something, but it's not looking promising.

If we really believe in him, then give him one or two more games and see if he can produce. The next couple of games should provide our forwards with more opportunities than the last two weeks, if he still can't get near it then we can't persist with him. Having faith is one thing but risking losing games for it is going too far.

Who would come in? One of Howe, Witts or White, maybe even Goldsack would all be better options. Moore/Cloke, Wiits or White could then help in the ruck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: