Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What happened to Chris Dawes?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:49 am
Post subject: What happened to Chris Dawes?Reply with quote

I watched both the 2010 GF's on the weekend and was reminded of how well Dawes played that year and how good the forward structure was.

Not too long after, maybe 2012, he became a chest mark dropping shadow of hat he'd been and we shipped him off to the Dee's where he's been a consistent average performer.

What happened?

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke his thumb, lost form, played as relief ruck, lost confidence, and hasn't been able to stay fit since he was traded.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:16 am

Funny, I watched the 2010 G'final over the last few nights.

Dawes played a ripper.

How Dale Thomas didn't get the Norm Smith still amazes me (or Jolly).

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 pm

^I thought Scott Emblebury was a deserving winner.
Steele very good in both matches.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:24 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Dawes played a ripper.

Dale's performances were fantastic. The other player who played great but had slipped out of my memory was the Caff. If only he could get that form back; two knees have probably put put paid to that.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:53 pm

dalyc wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Dawes played a ripper.

Dale's performances were fantastic. The other player who played great but had slipped out of my memory was the Caff. If only he could get that form back; two knees have probably put put paid to that.

I wouldn't write off the Caff so quickly. Many speculate that knees can come back stronger than original.

He is certainly doing every thing possible to be considered for inclusion and from reports his leadership and commitment both on and off the track have been excellent.

Go The Caff.

Cleomenes 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:12 pm

All true.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:12 pm

The nature of AFL footy has changed with key position players expected to play multiple roles, due to the reduction in the number of interchanges. Unfortunately for Chris Dawes he's not a primary target in the forward line to kick goals and he can't cover in the ruck, so I really can't see him surviving much longer at Melbourne.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:18 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
The nature of AFL footy has changed with key position players expected to play multiple roles, due to the reduction in the number of interchanges. Unfortunately for Chris Dawes he's not a primary target in the forward line to kick goals and he can't cover in the ruck, so I really can't see him surviving much longer at Melbourne.

So the Key Forward Position is Dying?

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Dawesy is a Collingwood premiership living legend, and we don't have a lot of them.

Dawesy always had issues with his body, and we were bloody lucky to get such a wonderful period out of him which delivered a precious flag.

But to answer dalyc's question here is a theory of what happened:

Dawesy is clearly of above average intelligence, and I dare say had a strong relationship with MM, resulting in him delivering to us an aggressive streak in 2010.

When Bucks took over that aggression seemed to vanish, at times he would not make contests, duck when marking, etc etc.
I was incredibly frustrated and I'd bet Buck's was too, hence the Lynch recruitment and the chat with Dawesy that he may be better off elsewhere.

Seemed typical of Buck's reluctance/impatience to get the best out of MM's men.
Maybe Bucks was right and it never would have happened, many fans felt that a few of them could have left with a little more respect.

All will be forgiven if success follows this year.
Otherwise I think those burned will start to tell their side of the story and it may not be pretty.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

He did his calf at training this morning, his poor run with injury continues.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 pm

In answer to the OP, Dawes was a role player. Very smart bloke, captaincy material, but not a primary target as a key forward even though in 2010 Geelong supporters would have swapped him for Hawkins in a heartbeat. (Anyone remember Earl Spalding who played for Melbourne and Carlton?)

The structure that happened in 2010 suited him perfectly with Cloke and Leroy as other targets and he played his role aggressively and perfectly. Collingwood premiership legend.

Once Brown left and his role changed he wasn't as effective and his confidence suffered. He was being asked to play outside of his sweet spot and struggled.

At Melbourne, he's been injured and before the coming of Hogan was largely the key forward which is not his ideal role.

If Hogan has another year like last year and Watts provides a genuine option, Dawes could yet come back into his own as a grunt role playing key forward. For him, I hope so, just not against us. Wink

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Hawthorn is the benchmark and if you look at the way Roughead and Gunstan play, it's all about opening up the forward line and having multiple options to kick goals. That's the way Buckley is coaching Collingwood as are 17 other AFL coaches. Western Bulldogs dropped Boyd who only knows how to play one way. If Hogan has another season like the last one and Melbourne develops Weideman into a forward role, Dawes won't have a job next year.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:39 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Dawesy is a Collingwood premiership living legend, and we don't have a lot of them.

Dawesy always had issues with his body, and we were bloody lucky to get such a wonderful period out of him which delivered a precious flag.

But to answer dalyc's question here is a theory of what happened:

Dawesy is clearly of above average intelligence, and I dare say had a strong relationship with MM, resulting in him delivering to us an aggressive streak in 2010.

When Bucks took over that aggression seemed to vanish, at times he would not make contests, duck when marking, etc etc.
I was incredibly frustrated and I'd bet Buck's was too, hence the Lynch recruitment and the chat with Dawesy that he may be better off elsewhere.

Seemed typical of Buck's reluctance/impatience to get the best out of MM's men.
Maybe Bucks was right and it never would have happened, many fans felt that a few of them could have left with a little more respect.

All will be forgiven if success follows this year.
Otherwise I think those burned will start to tell their side of the story and it may not be pretty.

Dawes seemed not a Bucks Fan. I still Remember after his last game at the Club.

Bucks and Dawes had a Meeting and then afterwards you see Dawes Storm out of the Holden Center and looked really Pissed.

That showed that Bucks and Dawes did not get along or Bucks did not rate Dawes at all

Dawes looks from what we saw was a Huge MM Fan

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Hawthorn is the benchmark and if you look at the way Roughead and Gunstan play, it's all about opening up the forward line and having multiple options to kick goals. That's the way Buckley is coaching Collingwood as are 17 other AFL coaches. Western Bulldogs dropped Boyd who only knows how to play one way. If Hogan has another season like the last one and Melbourne develops Weideman into a forward role, Dawes won't have a job next year.

Maybe we can get Dawes back on the Cheap Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: