Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The softest generation.... ever!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some unions call off work for grown men if it's to hot don't they?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Skids wrote:
think positive wrote:

I'd thank the school, not belittle them.

I'd also note to the good old days, skin cancer. Deaths from skin cancer. It ain't pretty. Just have a look at the 50-70 year olds walking around with bloody great scars from head to toe from lesions that have been removed.

That big ruggard outdoorsy Aussie, in the weather no matter what, no hat, no sunscreen, beer instead of water, they all look the same shrivelled up and dying In a hospital bed. Cheers!

I didn't mean anything like that Rolling Eyes

Kids are not even allowed out of the classroom without a hat on.... anytime!
That's fair enough.

Do you also agree with cancelling sports days and excursions because it's raining?

The school is air conditioned. To go outside and run around during a 10 minute recess break and for 15 minutes after eating their lunch is not going to harm them at all. In fact, I would argue, that it is very, very good for them!
Look at the issues with obesity in this country. Keeping them from excercising for 30 minutes coz it's too warm ..... Like I said, the softest (and fattest) generation ever Exclamation

How many days are 42 degrees? Will it make that much difference to the obesity rate, just a couple of days?

Depends how bad the weather is, if all it off in a thunderstorm! But I've coached kids in the pouring rain, and also in 31 degrees ( the stadium calls it off when it hits 32). I always had an esky with icy poles in it for them during 1/4 breaks and wet towels.

One red haired English complexioned kid getting fried would send the school broke! If it's up to about 38 and there is plenty of shade and cool water to drink, no worries, go outside to play. When my kids were in primary school, they had a couple of high heat days, I went to school and helped out in the gym with kids playing a few games.

I still back the school, I'd rather they were too careful, than not careful enough.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 pm

By the way, my pet subject! Kids are fat these days because parents are lazy and too soft. You don't want meat and three veg for dinner? Bad luck go hungry, you don't get cereal or dessert unless you eat a balanced meal first. Coke is not a drink. It's a meal in a can, or rather a dessert in a can. Super size me is the worst thing ever. Yep sure you can spend an hour playing video games-after you get some running around in and do your homework. No teacher the dog didn't eat it, my kids a lazy bugger. Please give him detention. Misbehaving? How about some yard duty then?

You want healthy fit kids? Set a good example.

My kids can swear like troupers on occasion, and I hate it, but there is no one to blame but me! And the umpires!

Cheers!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 pm

Skids wrote:

The school is air conditioned. To go outside and run around during a 10 minute recess break and for 15 minutes after eating their lunch is not going to harm them at all. In fact, I would argue, that it is very, very good for them!

Spoiled brats. Wink

Back at primary school in rural NSW we had plenty of days over 40 in Feb, no aircon just ceiling fans and no chance of staying indoors at lunch time. Similar at high school, only a couple of the classroom blocks were air conditioned.

You went outside, buggerised around, found shade if needed and learned something about your tolerance levels. I'd let my kids outside on 40+ days, they generally didn't last too long but they didn't like being cooped up inside.

FFS get the cottonwool and bubblewrap off the kids and get em outside. You don't have to make em stand in the sun at gunpoint but let them learn what they can and can't do when it's hot, cold, wet etc rather than hide them inside in climate controlled comfort glued to electronic devices.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 pm

^

Exactly.

One quote, from a great runner, whose name I can't remember rite now, said "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people"

I'll be getting up tomorrow and punching out 20k's on the road, if it's warm, the pace will drop back & the water intake increase... simple.

The human body is capable of so much, the mind is what defeats it!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Yep

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 pm

Skids wrote:
One quote, from a great runner, whose name I can't remember rite now, said "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people"

Haha. Should drop him in Antarctica, or the Lut Desert in Iran, and see how soft he is.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Bill Bowerman ....

William Jay "Bill" Bowerman (February 19, 1911 – December 24, 1999) was an American track and field coach and co-founder of Nike, Inc. Over his career, he trained 31 Olympic athletes, 51 All-Americans, 12 American record-holders, 22 NCAA champions and 16 sub-4 minute milers. During his 24 years as coach at the University of Oregon, the Ducks track and field team had a winning season every season but one, attained 4 NCAA titles, and finished in the top 10 in the nation 16 times.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 pm

David wrote:
[quote="Skids"]One quote, from a great runner, whose name I can't remember rite now, said "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people"[/quote]

Haha. Should drop him in Antarctica, or the Lut Desert in Iran, and see how soft he is.
Maybe you should ask someone older.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:16 pm

David wrote:
Skids wrote:

Easy...

The Antarctic Ice Marathon is the southernmost marathon on earth and a unique opportunity to complete a marathon that is truly worthy of the seventh continent. You can join the exclusive 7 Continents Marathon Club by combining this race with marathons on each of the other six continents. Don't expect to run your quickest time, however, as winds can blow from the Pole at a steady 10-25 knots. Also, forget about penguins or crowds cheering you along the route - no penguins live this far south and you will have to rely upon yourself to push onward in the hushed, indomitable surroundings.

The ISRU, Iranian Silk Road Ultramarathon, has been organized together with the government of Iran and aims to highlight the extraordinary beauty of the Dasht-e-Lut desert, considered the hottest place on earth, as well as of the whole Iran, a country with great traditions and culture.

The beauty of this desert mainly comes from the huge difference of the panoramas that runners have to face along the race itinerary which is the characteristic of the best ultra marathons and very appreciated by the extreme runners.

Next whimpy excuse ????

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:09 am

think positive wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Yep

Pfttt, and 'aint that the softest bunch of grown men to call themselves 'workers'!!

Inagine the mining industry if we knocked off at 35 degrees ..... We'd be in our dongas at 10am 4 months of the year.

So many unworthy arguements being thrown up here, you mob sure you're not freo supporters?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:57 am

Skids wrote:
^

Exactly.

John deceased Runner.

Died from heatstroke, melanoma & stupidity. But he was a damn fine runner.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:46 am

Skids wrote:
think positive wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Yep

Pfttt, and 'aint that the softest bunch of grown men to call themselves 'workers'!!

Inagine the mining industry if we knocked off at 35 degrees ..... We'd be in our dongas at 10am 4 months of the year.

So many unworthy arguements being thrown up here, you mob sure you're not freo supporters?

I wear certified snow gear to the footy because it's so damn cold at the MCG in the middle of a Melbourne winter, I'm often the only one not whinging or turning blue. Does that make me weak or smart?

Thing is your thread was about school aged kids being kept in on a rare 42 degree day. There are kids going to school in areas that see a lot of 42 degree days, I'm sure. They obviously go outside, they obviously know how to handle themselves in heat, as you would expect adults working in the mining industry do. Kids use to normal temperature ranges don't have that nouse. And I would think blowing the afternoons lessons, and maybe the next days, for the sake of the kids getting some outside excercise just 1 or two days of the year, is just not worth it. Hell of a lot of people don't realise just what the sun can do, or we would not have so many kids and dogs dying in hot cars.

You bring up back in the day; even twenty years ago people were no so sun smart. Things change, some things improve. One of them is the knowledge that the sun can kill, in more ways than one. Therefore smart people adapt.

I have given you fair and reasonable answers with out any snide little asides. Given your not very nice reply in the other thread, and your little digs here in general, I guess I'm wasting my time trying to have a reasonable conversation, discussion, whatever you want to call it.

Can't even be bothered googling the long time cancer records or survival rates of miners, or for that matter, other fair skinned long time outdoor workers in extreme conditions.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:02 am

Skids wrote:
David wrote:
Skids wrote:

Easy...

The Antarctic Ice Marathon is the southernmost marathon on earth and a unique opportunity to complete a marathon that is truly worthy of the seventh continent. You can join the exclusive 7 Continents Marathon Club by combining this race with marathons on each of the other six continents. Don't expect to run your quickest time, however, as winds can blow from the Pole at a steady 10-25 knots. Also, forget about penguins or crowds cheering you along the route - no penguins live this far south and you will have to rely upon yourself to push onward in the hushed, indomitable surroundings.

The ISRU, Iranian Silk Road Ultramarathon, has been organized together with the government of Iran and aims to highlight the extraordinary beauty of the Dasht-e-Lut desert, considered the hottest place on earth, as well as of the whole Iran, a country with great traditions and culture.

The beauty of this desert mainly comes from the huge difference of the panoramas that runners have to face along the race itinerary which is the characteristic of the best ultra marathons and very appreciated by the extreme runners.

Next whimpy excuse ????

The point is, the human body isn't superhuman. Temperature, sun, humidity etc. have a real effect on our health, whether you like it or not. Some people like challenging themselves by getting into extreme sports or pushing themselves to the limits of endurance, sure; but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea to inflict those conditions on children who can't make that decision for themselves.

There's being tough, and then there's being smart enough to know when to be tough and when not to be. I'd say staying inside in a 40+ day, if you get the opportunity, belongs in the latter category.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

No David. The point is.....

We live in Australia, sure, some summer days can get pretty warm. But, to confine kids to an air conditioned classroom because the maximum forecast temperature is 42 degrees (at 12pm in Perth it was actually only 39, the maximum of 42 was reached at 3pm, shock, horror, when the little darlings are on their way home) is just plain & simply "soft"

I'm not expecting them to run a marathon FFS, just play outside, like kids in Aussie schools have done for 100's of years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: