Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The softest generation.... ever!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 pm
Post subject: The softest generation.... ever!Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know too much about gen ; y , x and whatever.
I've heard how us old mob are critical dreamers and we should keep up with the times.... Laughing ha.... whimps!

My missus has worked for the education department for almost 20 years. Every year, it seems more sports carnivals or excursions are cancelled due to inclement weather conditions Rolling Eyes

Well ... today took the cake Exclamation

Parents complained (and bitched, snivelled and moaned) that today, a forecast of 42 degrees in Perth, was too hot for their little snoty nosed kids... to even GO outside! That's rite, today, with a staggering 40 odd degrees Armageddon.... they all stayed inside during recess and lunch time Shocked

Pathetic is the only word I can muster.

The next marathon will be run inside, 100 laps of Etihad Embarassed

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame the kids, blame the parents.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 pm

<snip no need for insults.>. At 42 degrees it's stupid to be outside. Teaching kids to be sun smart and to be safe in blistering weather is a good thing.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:04 pm

^

Soft <snip let's rein it in a little, lol. David for BBMods.>

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm

im with whatisname!!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:31 pm

We had a woman at work who wanted us to sponsor her kid in a walkathon. It was meant to be 4 times around the primary school oval so most of us sponsored for a dollar a lap. It raned so they moved it to a basketball court and with a few hundred kids they lost count . Imagine our surprise when Mum came in and asked us for 500 dollars each, this was in 1986, But yeah 42 is too hot for kids. That said it is under 20 here in Thailand and we are all rugged up.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 pm
Post subject: Re: The softest generation.... ever!Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Ok, I don't know too much about gen ; y , x and whatever.
I've heard how us old mob are critical dreamers and we should keep up with the times.... Laughing ha.... whimps!

My missus has worked for the education department for almost 20 years. Every year, it seems more sports carnivals or excursions are cancelled due to inclement weather conditions Rolling Eyes

Well ... today took the cake Exclamation

Parents complained (and bitched, snivelled and moaned) that today, a forecast of 42 degrees in Perth, was too hot for their little snoty nosed kids... to even GO outside! That's rite, today, with a staggering 40 odd degrees Armageddon.... they all stayed inside during recess and lunch time Shocked

Pathetic is the only word I can muster.

The next marathon will be run inside, 100 laps of Etihad Embarassed

I did not do sport days(I am 30 Now) as I could not be Stuffed doing them and was not seen as fun

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:45 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
<snip> At 42 degrees it's stupid to be outside. Teaching kids to be sun smart and to be safe in blistering weather is a good thing.

<snip>

It was the hottest February day in Perth...... for 19 years Rolling Eyes

So, in 1997, on a February day, it was hotter than today. My eldest daughter (now 25) was in grade 1. Her Primary school (Osborne Park PS) didn't even an have an undercover assembly area. They had an assembly every morning.... outside Shocked

I'm not expecting them to stay outside ALL day, just 10 or 15 minutes.... to eat their lunch, have a piss Shocked , even venture out in the searing heat for a moment to put their rubbish in a bin (if the furgen lid isn't too hot to Move!)

Like I said .... THE softest generation to walk the planet 'aint far off.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 pm

Laughing you sound like my mum Skids

She came from Ireland and they settled in Coraki on the Richmond river - hot and humid with floods common (and snakes everywhere when the water subsided which are not seen in Eire cause St Patrick drove them out!)

I don't know how she adjusted to it but now if it is >30C and I say it's hot - she tells me I'm soft

And when we put a new air conditioning system in and offered to do the same for her she scoffed and said how did I raise a sap ( wimp in Irish Very Happy )

Such is Australia - it's hot damn hot at times - yeah kids shouldn't be running laps in it but really they are going to grow up and have to work even when it is 40C - conditioning princes and princesses to say " oh it's too hot" ain't helpful!!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
[i]At 42 degrees it's stupid to be outside. Teaching kids to be sun smart and to be safe in blistering weather is a good thing.

Kind of agree with this. 42 is hellish. Spending 15 minutes in an oven may make you tougher, but if trying to avoid skin cancer makes you soft then it's probably the better option, innit?

Last edited by David on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 pm

Do you often use a computer there?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 am

think positive wrote:
im with whatisname!!

I agree. over 40 is plain stupid to be playing sport.

Mind you back in my day we trained & played in 52 degree heat in the blaring sun.

We drank & drove our cars

We put coconut oil on our skins to get a better tan

Yep, things were much better then..

Having said that the idea behind what Skids is saying is that people have become too litigious, that fun & activity in schools is now mediated through legal advice, caution & insurance company advice.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:11 am

While I disagree with Skids' specific example, WPT's last sentence reminds me of this great article I read a while back. It's quite long, but I do highly recommend it: it's about how our paranoia over child safety has taken a lot of the adventure and independence out of childhood.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/04/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

Quote:
The Overprotected Kid
Hanna Rosin

Like most parents my age, I have memories of childhood so different from the way my children are growing up that sometimes I think I might be making them up, or at least exaggerating them. I grew up on a block of nearly identical six-story apartment buildings in Queens, New York. In my elementary-school years, my friends and I spent a lot of afternoons playing cops and robbers in two interconnected apartment garages, after we discovered a door between them that we could pry open. Once, when I was about 9, my friend Kim and I locked a bunch of younger kids in an imaginary jail behind a low gate. Then Kim and I got hungry and walked over to Albas pizzeria a few blocks away and forgot all about them. When we got back an hour later, they were still standing in the same spot. They never hopped over the gate, even though they easily could have; their parents never came looking for them, and no one expected them to. A couple of them were pretty upset, but back then, the code between kids ruled. Wed told them they were in jail, so they stayed in jail until we let them out. A parents opinion on their term of incarceration would have been irrelevant.

I used to puzzle over a particular statistic that routinely comes up in articles about time use: even though women work vastly more hours now than they did in the 1970s, mothersand fathersof all income levels spend much more time with their children than they used to. This seemed impossible to me until recently, when I began to think about my own life. My mother didnt work all that much when I was younger, but she didnt spend vast amounts of time with me, either. She didnt arrange my playdates or drive me to swimming lessons or introduce me to cool music she liked. On weekdays after school she just expected me to show up for dinner; on weekends I barely saw her at all. I, on the other hand, might easily spend every waking Saturday hour with one if not all three of my children, taking one to a soccer game, the second to a theater program, the third to a friends house, or just hanging out with them at home. When my daughter was about 10, my husband suddenly realized that in her whole life, she had probably not spent more than 10 minutes unsupervised by an adult. Not 10 minutes in 10 years.

Its hard to absorb how much childhood norms have shifted in just one generation. Actions that would have been considered paranoid in the 70swalking third-graders to school, forbidding your kid to play ball in the street, going down the slide with your child in your lapare now routine. In fact, they are the markers of good, responsible parenting. One very thorough study of childrens independent mobility, conducted in urban, suburban, and rural neighborhoods in the U.K., shows that in 1971, 80 percent of third-graders walked to school alone. By 1990, that measure had dropped to 9 percent, and now its even lower. When you ask parents why they are more protective than their parents were, they might answer that the world is more dangerous than it was when they were growing up. But this isnt true, or at least not in the way that we think.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 am

Totally agree the world is too litigious. Taking responsibility for your actions is an arguement we have be over many times here.

However, send kids out in 42 degree heat in the middle of the day, they come back in to class tired, lethargic, over heated, maybe dehydrated, maybe sunburnt (due to pathetic parenting) and when they get back inside they will learn zip!

I'd thank the school, not belittle them.

I'd also note to the good old days, skin cancer. Deaths from skin cancer. It ain't pretty. Just have a look at the 50-70 year olds walking around with bloody great scars from head to toe from lesions that have been removed.

That big ruggard outdoorsy Aussie, in the weather no matter what, no hat, no sunscreen, beer instead of water, they all look the same shrivelled up and dying In a hospital bed. Cheers!

from Hugh:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/hugh-jackman-has-fifth-skin-cancer-removed/7150972

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:36 am

think positive wrote:

I'd thank the school, not belittle them.

I'd also note to the good old days, skin cancer. Deaths from skin cancer. It ain't pretty. Just have a look at the 50-70 year olds walking around with bloody great scars from head to toe from lesions that have been removed.

That big ruggard outdoorsy Aussie, in the weather no matter what, no hat, no sunscreen, beer instead of water, they all look the same shrivelled up and dying In a hospital bed. Cheers!

I didn't mean anything like that Rolling Eyes

Kids are not even allowed out of the classroom without a hat on.... anytime!
That's fair enough.

Do you also agree with cancelling sports days and excursions because it's raining?

The school is air conditioned. To go outside and run around during a 10 minute recess break and for 15 minutes after eating their lunch is not going to harm them at all. In fact, I would argue, that it is very, very good for them!
Look at the issues with obesity in this country. Keeping them from excercising for 30 minutes coz it's too warm ..... Like I said, the softest (and fattest) generation ever Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: