Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Adam Treloar and our finals chances...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:17 pm
Post subject: Adam Treloar and our finals chances...Reply with quote

Just thought I'd air some thoughts after recent comments by AT, and after re-absorbing just how big a coup it was landing him.

His performance last year, was, by all accounts, v impressive. He finished 2nd in the Giants B&F, in a team that boasts a lot of upcoming talent, especially in the midfield and up forward. He was also earmarked as a genuine future superstar of the game, racking up high possession numbers, kicking goals, and showing dynamic pace and elite skills, with v few weaknesses.

So... to hear him say that his 2015 season was a big disappointment for him, and that he wasn't playing at full fitness, is a scary proposition. We now know he was hampered by OP, which restricted his run and carry game, pace, and overall ability to impact games. So the question must be raised... how good can this kid become? The answer can only be - extremely f***ing good.

He is no doubt still a way off full fitness, and may take a little bit of time to reach his peak output for season 2016, but he seems like the sort of cat who will do everything to get to that position of dominance, in the earliest time possible.

I think the other clubs will still be seething that we were able to pull his recruitment off, as it easily makes us threaten for the best midfield in the comp now. A rotating ten of Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Swan, Sidebottom, Greenwood, Crisp, DeGoey, Varcoe and Aish, is v hard to match, with Treloar potentially being the key ingredient to the mix.

More than ever, this is a game where all 22 players need to contribute, to match it with the best... but I honestly believe a full season of Treloar in the team could be the difference between us fishing 9th and 5th... or, dare I say it... 8th and 4th.

In the short glimpses that I got to see of him training a few weeks back, I was pretty disappointed not to see him at least join in the game simulation drills. He was def looking bigger and stronger than last year though, and his skills were still there to be seen. He also looks to have a fair serving of c**t in him, along with the requisite leadership skills to assert himself on a game. All of which has been a deficiency in our midfield for a while now...

So onto season 2016, with plenty of reasons to be excited. I'm also not discounting what a full season of having Ben Reid back, Greenwood at full fitness, and Grundy, Adams, DeGoey, Elliott, Fasolo, Marley, Broomhead, Darcy and Crisp being another season older and wiser, will do for us. So I'm not placing all of my expectations on AT's shoulders.

The age of a list is one statistic, but it's the amount of relative talent that you have at each age level that I think is more important for projecting future potential, and Bucks has a lot of high end talent in the 19 to 23 age bracket, which is a great sign for our next 5 - 8 years. But like Pendles said in his B&F speech... there's no reason why the success can't start now.

Go Pies!!

Last edited by cityslick1 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dudham 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Have already had a nibble on Treloar for the Brownlow at 50's.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 pm

I would guess having him in our team is going to mean we improve our centre clearances and our inside fifties. I don't think Treloar is your pure first dibs mid though. He is more a predator type who plays a little bit off the contest and sweats on the contest to then grab the slightly loose ball. He swoops and breaks clear. This is actually nice to have as we will have both Adams and Greenwood to extract the pill. De Goey is good inside but also is the one who can force turnovers in congestion with his manic tackling and can also break out of congestion quickly.

Crisp is also quite good at extraction. So the midfield is building nicely in terms of grunt, prolific ball winners, predator types, silky outside types. Perhaps the only thing we lack is a quick winger with exceptional endurance and power running. I am hoping Varcoe and Howe can be that player.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:19 pm

perthmagpie wrote:
I would guess having him in our team is going to mean we improve our centre clearances and our inside fifties. I don't think Treloar is your pure first dibs mid though. He is more a predator type who plays a little bit off the contest and sweats on the contest to then grab the slightly loose ball. He swoops and breaks clear. This is actually nice to have as we will have both Adams and Greenwood to extract the pill. De Goey is good inside but also is the one who can force turnovers in congestion with his manic tackling and can also break out of congestion quickly.

Crisp is also quite good at extraction. So the midfield is building nicely in terms of grunt, prolific ball winners, predator types, silky outside types. Perhaps the only thing we lack is a quick winger with exceptional endurance and power running. I am hoping Varcoe and Howe can be that player.

From training reports this Josh Smith character is being reported as a likely candidate. Seems to be impressing everyone at training, can't wait to see him in the NAB cup. Philips and Goodyear have speed and indurance could also put their foot forward I'm quite happy in seeing Varcoe or Sidebottom in that winger role they may not have the explosive space but are great footballers and just run all day.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 am

With our midfield stacked, Varcoe and Crisp can be the more than handy pacy wingers who can run and carry all day and deliver to the forwards. Marley and Sinclair can also push up from the backline. We've got a lot of options now, and talented players in all spots...
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:27 am

Having 3 extractors (Greenwood, Adams and DeGoey) in that midfield group will certainly extend Pendles career and ensure we get the maximum from the guys with some polish such as Treloar. He was a coup. Pies have the best 19-24 year olds in the comp IMO and that will be even more clear this year!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:22 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Having 3 extractors (Greenwood, Adams and DeGoey) in that midfield group will certainly extend Pendles career and ensure we get the maximum from the guys with some polish such as Treloar. He was a coup. Pies have the best 19-24 year olds in the comp IMO and that will be even more clear this year!

I reckon GWS has the Best Kids in the Comp

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:

And the Dees have stockpiled a pretty handy group as have the Doggies and Saints. As much as anything the difference is in the load they're expected to carry at this stage of their careers and that's where we have an advantage over those sides.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:

Not including the newbies… the Collingwood Under 25 list is excellent

Big guys - Moore, Grundy, Witts, Marsh, Frost
Mids - Sidey, Crisp, Adams, Treloar, DeGoey, Aish
Fwds - Elliot, Faz, Broomy,
Backs - Williams, Maynard, Ramsay, Langdon, Oxley, Sinclair, Shazza

That's an impressive list of 20 players IMO 24 and under - Howe just missed out given he is now 25… -

Shaw won the B&F at GWS and Treloar was second best i believe - so I am backing our list to be the team to beat in a couple of years - but time will tell!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 pm

GWS Day is on Fox Footy Tomorrow so you can see some games he has played in
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:16 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:

Not including the newbies… the Collingwood Under 25 list is excellent

Big guys - Moore, Grundy, Witts, Marsh, Frost
Mids - Sidey, Crisp, Adams, Treloar, DeGoey, Aish
Fwds - Elliot, Faz, Broomy,
Backs - Williams, Maynard, Ramsay, Langdon, Oxley, Sinclair, Shazza

That's an impressive list of 20 players IMO 24 and under - Howe just missed out given he is now 25… -

Shaw won the B&F at GWS and Treloar was second best i believe - so I am backing our list to be the team to beat in a couple of years - but time will tell!

GWS:

Coniglio (2011 - 2),
Greene (2011 - 11),
Shiel (2010 - 17yo),
Smith (2011 - 14),
Steele (2014 - 24),
Ahern (2014 - 7),
Pickett (2014 - 4),
Cameron (2010 - 17yo),
Haynes (2011 - 7),
Kelly (2013 - 2),
McCarthy (2013 - 14,
Hoskin-Elliott (2011 - 4),
Marchbank (2014 - 6),
Corr (2012 - 14),
Stewart (2012 - 27),
Lobb (2013 - 29),
Downie (2100 - 56),
Finlayson (2014 - academy player),
Flynn (2015 - academy player),
Paton (2011 - 1),
Whitfield (2012 - 1),
Hopper (2015 - 7),
Wilson (2010 - 17yo),
Buntine (2011 - 5)
McKenna (2014 - 23)
Kennedy (2015 - 13)
Himmelberg (2015 - 16)

Bolded the GWS guys taken as top 20 draft picks or as concessional 17 year olds. Conversely, highlighted the guys on our list who were late or rookie picks. That'll be the major difference you'd imagine, the quality of the player they had access to. Doesn't mean that they'll be better than the Pies players, but they were definitely more highly thought of as kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: