Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cloke's Contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly who does Cloke think he is?

He already has 2 YEARS to run on his current lucrative contract, one that is yet to deliver value for money.

He was ordinary last season with most of his goals coming against weak opposition in a handful of games.

A repeat of that and the club might just be better off looking to explore beneficial trade options at the end of 2016 rather than offer any extensions.

Can't see a reason for us to offer anything to Cloke as the end might come quicker than expected if poor form or injury strike in 2016.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:20 am

swoop42 wrote:

He already has 2 YEARS to run on his current lucrative contract, one that is yet to deliver value for money.

He was ordinary last season with most of his goals coming against weak opposition in a handful of games.

A repeat of that and the club might just be better off looking to explore beneficial trade options at the end of 2016 rather than offer any extensions.

Can't see a reason for us to offer anything to Cloke as the end might come quicker than expected if poor form or injury strike in 2016.

Totally agree swoop… long term contracts might be used to secure a young talented player however it is a risk, long term contracts always are! After this current 5 year deal is done and Cloke is 31 - he should be on a year by year deal!

It suits Cloke to get some financial security but he should be motivated to perform to secure his position.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Either way. this time Collingwood holds the upper hand in any contract extention for Clokey, due to his age etc. We will be looking closely for a successor, and if a tough call is to be made this time, we will. It will be a year by year contract next. I'm sure other clubs will throw a 2 or 3 at him for sure. Interesting to see what transpires.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Not Many Teams would want him now at his Age

I'm guessing about 18
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:29 pm

jackcass wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Not Many Teams would want him now at his Age

I'm guessing about 18

Agree most teams would
He is not as valuable as a trade due to age but a KPF with a couple of years is not to be sneezed at
Brions have no key forwards they would take him in a flash

STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:46 pm

themonk wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:
Try him on the wing in the nab cup

But he can't kick, all he can do is kick long which is not always the right option

Mathew Richardson couldn't kick either
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:54 pm

I would trade him if we were offered two first round draft picks, but happy to keep him otherwise.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I wouldn't be offering anything long term just yet. We have up and coming young players who will no doubt be commanding big $$$ in years to come and you don't want him eating into the salary cap too much. Also, those players may well be ready to take over from Cloke in a year or two thus reducing the reliance on him.

I'm not saying we throw him to the sharks but we should tread cautiously and maybe offer up something performance based or year by year. If he doesn't like that then he could seek a trade from which we would no doubt benefit from as he would demand high draft picks. Either way we win.

How about Cloke and a high draft pick for Hogan and the Weed?
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Won't he be an unrestricted free agent by the time his contract is expired so he can walk without us getting a trade opportunity, with only compo being a compo pick? So are we talking trading earlier, not that I personally would be in favour of it.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm sure freo would have another crack and off up some big bucks to lure him over once again... straight swap for fyfe!
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:44 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Well said swoop, I accept the argument injuries and so forth have diminished his output over the last year or so.

But the "Elephant in the room" as it were that cannot be denied is his kicking for goal...It has lost us matches in the past, would hate for it to lose us finals...yes it probably won't ever change.... But the key factors the club have to keep in mind when considering his contract extension are:

- His age

- The fact he will have to learn to play second fiddle as it were to Moore. And as many have said play him as a full time half forward.

For these reasons i would argue the club offers a two year contract extension heavily weighted to performance output. i.e base pay of around $300,000 - $400,000 per year. Keeping in mind the young talent to be resigned by the club.

my thoughts anyway.

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:53 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
I'm sure freo would have another crack and off up some big bucks to lure him over once again... straight swap for fyfe!

I had a dream last night that i left the bedroom window open and Ross Lyon came floating into my bedroom with a transfer contract for Nat Fyfe, Stephen Hill and Tommy Sheridan and all he wanted in return was Jesse White and two tickets to "wicked"the musical Very Happy

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:07 pm

derkd wrote:
Well said swoop, I accept the argument injuries and so forth have diminished his output over the last year or so.

But the "Elephant in the room" as it were that cannot be denied is his kicking for goal...It has lost us matches in the past, would hate for it to lose us finals...yes it probably won't ever change.... But the key factors the club have to keep in mind when considering his contract extension are:

- His age

- The fact he will have to learn to play second fiddle as it were to Moore. And as many have said play him as a full time half forward.

For these reasons i would argue the club offers a two year contract extension heavily weighted to performance output. i.e base pay of around $300,000 - $400,000 per year. Keeping in mind the young talent to be resigned by the club.

my thoughts anyway.

Yes Cloke has missed goals that may have changed the outcome of certain games but so have White, Fasolo, Elliott, Reid, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Blair, Goldsack, Witts, Grundy, etc etc... Yes, he probably does it more often than most but he gets more opportunities to do it.

Bigger issue for me is the lack of scoring spread among the team. In 2013 we had 28 goal scorers with only Cloke (3.09), Elliott (1.50), Krakouer (1.25) and Reid (1.14) offering > 1.0 goals a game.

In 2014 that dropped to 25 goal scorers but had 5 players averaging better than 1.0 goal a game, Cloke (1.95), Elliott (1.94), Beams (1.21), Broomhead (1.12) and White (1.11).

In 2015 it was back out to 28 goal-kickers but back to 4 at better than 1.0 a game, Cloke (2.06), Reid (1.2), White (1.06) and Moore (1.0).

If we can maintain that 28ish mark but get better than 1.0 goals per game from say Cloke, Fasolo, Elliott, Moore, Broomhead, Howe, Swan and Sidebottom and a few other mids improving their contributions then we'll be doing okay.

As to Moore surpassing Cloke, kid has a long way to go to achieve that. Cloke is arguably still among the top 10 big forwards in the league, despite 2 off seasons, so doubt it will happen in 2016.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Those figures show how important he is.
He'd be eyeing up a few defences right now and could come out smoking.
An immediate 1 year extension on the average per annum of his last contract could be attractive - whatever it is it'd be nice if it went smoothly.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 pm

derkd wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

I had a dream last night that i left the bedroom window open and Ross Lyon came floating into my bedroom with a transfer contract for Nat Fyfe, Stephen Hill and Tommy Sheridan and all he wanted in return was Jesse White and two tickets to "wicked" the musical Very Happy

derkd, I hope you were in a good frame of mind, signed the f*ck out of that contract, and gave them Toovey as steak-knives, as a show of good faith?

Dyso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: