Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Monday 1st Feb 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
Club nominated bests are the same as VFL sports pulse unless I'm mistaken and I don't have expectations that KPDs rack up huge possession numbers. Our last final a case in point, Marsh looking after Brown and we're winning, Marsh does his hammy, Brown gets off the leash, we lose the game.

I'm 99% certain that Brown was playing key defence for the first half of that semi, J. From memory, he only went forward after half time, when they were three goals in arrears.

Nevertheless, your basic point still stands: without Marsh, there was nobody to take Brown once he went forward, and Scharenberg went out of the game in the process.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:29 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
I do follow the game blogs here and on the Club site.

I'm aware that the Club nominated bests are sometimes bizarre, but I assume that the VFL Sports Pulse ones that I've used above are at least vaguely independent.

The raw stats are there for everyone to see as well.

I'm trying to track down the VFL game I am thinking of - it looks like round 11, 5 or 2 unless Channel 7 broadcast a Pies VFL game after round 11. Maybe MagpieBat can help me.

Which one are you talking about?

Channel 7 broadcast our Round 2 game vs Essendon, our Round 5 game vs Richmond, Round 11 vs Box Hill, Round 17 vs the Blues, Round 19 vs Richmond, the EF vs Werribee and the SF vs Sandringham.

Marsh played in all bar the R17 and R19 games.
1892_ 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:01 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
From VFL Stats for Marsh:

Round 1 - bye
Round 2 - 0 votes
Round 3 - 5 votes
Round 4 - 4 votes
Round 5 - 0 votes
Round 6 - bye
Round 7 - 0 votes
Round 8 - 5 votes
Round 9 - 0 votes
Round 10 - bye
Round 11 - 6 votes
Round 12 - 0 votes
Round 13 - 0 votes
Round 14 - 5 votes
Round 15 - 2 votes
Round 16 - 1 vote
Round 17 - DNP
Round 18 - DNP
Round 19 - DNP
Round 20 - DNP
QF - DNP

With a maximum 6 votes (I assume) on offer each game, I'm not sure 28 votes in 16 VFL games is a "domination", especially given Marsh is a "flashy" plaayer who would attract votes more easily.

Clearly he had a few good games and no doubt they are sticking in Pies supporters' minds.

Bit harsh it expect Marsh to poll votes in our byes, but I can see your point.

I went to about a dozen VFL last year both Marsh and Ryan Pendlebury stood out and the bests often didn't reflect their performances. I think a better indication is our Best and Fairest, where Marsh finished second to Moloney. http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-10-10/joseph-wren-memorial-trophy-ben-moloney

Marsh's development and growth throughout the year was strong, early on he was more a dour defender and rarely used his pace. As the year went on however he started taking on players and providing run out of defence. His kicking was a little off, although in fairness often he would provide the relieving just bomb it forward kick when the backline was under pressure. He worked to eliminate this shortly before receiving a senior call up, noticeably handballing more often.

In terms of KPD I see the head to head comparisons being more Brown vs Frost and Reid vs Marsh, as Marsh won't end up being a dour type. With Marsh's ability to play on medium forwards I can also see him competing with Goldsack for a spot.

Last edited by 1892_ on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 am

Thanks for the report absolute gem
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:32 am

Thank you BucksIsFutureCoach; that report makes me feel as if I was there.
The part of your report that interested me most was this:

"Jesse White appeared to be playing at the centre bounces. He has an incredible burst of speed at the contests which could be useful in the centre. Remains to be seen whether he has the stamina to play as a mid."

I think he has the stamina to play on a wing and there are a few Nicksters who've been calling for this move for 18 months or so now. Playing on a wing gives Jesse the opportunity to run to the ball without a negative brute on his heels as is the case when he plays forward. Jesse is not keen on contact when in marking contests, and playing further up the ground suits his skill set. I'm glad Bucks is prepared to change his mind and experiment with Jesse; the move is necessary, as Jesse has been a failure as our second forward.

Nice to see the Club offered cut price coffee; I'd interpret that as an apology for the second class treatment supporters got during the AusOpen. It really isn't good enough to exclude supporters from our own facilities; especially those facilities that we have waited for for a long time. This week Gary Pert will receive a letter about this and the tatty membership pack; those car stickers are an abomination.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:27 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
From VFL Stats for Marsh:

Round 1 - bye
Round 2 - 0 votes
Round 3 - 5 votes
Round 4 - 4 votes
Round 5 - 0 votes
Round 6 - bye
Round 7 - 0 votes
Round 8 - 5 votes
Round 9 - 0 votes
Round 10 - bye
Round 11 - 6 votes
Round 12 - 0 votes
Round 13 - 0 votes
Round 14 - 5 votes
Round 15 - 2 votes
Round 16 - 1 vote
Round 17 - DNP
Round 18 - DNP
Round 19 - DNP
Round 20 - DNP
QF - DNP

With a maximum 6 votes (I assume) on offer each game, I'm not sure 28 votes in 16 VFL games is a "domination", especially given Marsh is a "flashy" plaayer who would attract votes more easily.

Clearly he had a few good games and no doubt they are sticking in Pies supporters' minds.

If you'd actually watched VFL games you'd know that the clubs BOG votes are a farce.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:20 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Club nominated bests are the same as VFL sports pulse unless I'm mistaken and I don't have expectations that KPDs rack up huge possession numbers. Our last final a case in point, Marsh looking after Brown and we're winning, Marsh does his hammy, Brown gets off the leash, we lose the game.

I'm 99% certain that Brown was playing key defence for the first half of that semi, J. From memory, he only went forward after half time, when they were three goals in arrears.

Nevertheless, your basic point still stands: without Marsh, there was nobody to take Brown once he went forward, and Scharenberg went out of the game in the process.

Started forward, got moved into defence as he was having no impact on Marsh. Got moved back forward in the last when Marsh wasn't there, kicked 3 goals and a couple of points and had the majority of his 10-11 possessions.... from memory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: