Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Monday 1st Feb 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:16 pm
Post subject: Training Monday 1st Feb 2016Reply with quote

Good day to go and check out the players training at the Glasshouse, with an almost full contingent of players participating in match practice and an absence of the tennis crowd, meaning the cafe was reopening with free coffee (gold coin donation).

Players in rehabilitation: Pendlebury, Wills, Adams, Treloar, Broomhead, Scharenburg, Langdon, Cox

Players back training in the main group: Blair, Aish, Smith, Toovey, Ramsay, Sinclair, Macaffer

No shows: Before I start, the players split up into two teams, the whites versus the blacks. Because the white team had their numbers obscured, it's possible I missed some of the players out there. Having said that, I couldn't sight Sidebottom, Elliot, Howe, Maynard or Williams.

Players who stood out: De Goey, Moore, Fasolo, Reid

Some observations:
Witts and Grundy were having a fierce contest in the ruck. Neither you could say were winning the contest. Both are very evenly matched. It going to be a interesting dilemma how to play two pure ruckmen in the same team.

Jesse White appeared to be playing at the centre bounces. He has an incredible burst of speed at the contests which could be useful in the centre. Remains to be seen whether he has the stamina to play as a mid.

Reid is a CHB and that's where he should stay unless we lose every key forward in the team.

Fasolo is a key forward who could be used like a Eddie Betts or Milne type. He can jump, or run off opponents and kick multiple goals. At one point he told his teammates to clear out of the forward line to open space for him.

De Goey and Moore won't be playing in the VFL this year unless recuperating
from injury. The problem (a pleasant one) will be finding room in the forward line for Moore that has Cloke, Elliot, Fasolo, Swan and Howe. Likewise finding room for De Goey in the centre rotations that include Treloar, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Crisp and Sidebottom.

Aish was playing off half back and looks a fair way off the rest of the main group.

Sinclair has elite speed and runs both ends of the ground and is difficult to see why he wouldn't demand a spot in the team at half back.

Frost needs to eliminate his errors in training such as miskicking the ball or fumbling the mark, if he is to command a spot in the team ahead of Brown or Reid.

Marsh looks fantastic in training on the half back line. Question is where to play him when you have Brown, Reid and Frost ahead of him.

Of the first year players in match play, only Crocker stood out to me. He's not elite in anything, but he doesn't appear deficient in anything either. He runs to the right spots, is a good mark and a good kick and can kick goals. He looks like a second or third year player to me, whereas players like Goodyear and Golds appear to look like first year players to me.

Sier was playing as a half forward, so I gather if he makes it into the first side this year, it will be as a half forward and not as a mid. He has beautiful size to him and has lost a bit of weight, but has a long way to go to adjusting to playing against grown footballers.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Report.

Love that Moore and De Goey stick out in most People's Training Reports this Pre-Season

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:26 pm

What did Treloar do today?

Why did Aish look Far Off? He sounds like he is in and out of the Rehab Group

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 pm
Post subject: Re: Training Monday 1st Feb 2016Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Good day to go and check out the players training at the Glasshouse, with an almost full contingent of players participating in match practice and an absence of the tennis crowd, meaning the cafe was reopening with free coffee (gold coin donation).

Players in rehabilitation: Pendlebury, Wills, Adams, Treloar, Broomhead, Scharenburg, Langdon, Cox

Players back training in the main group: Blair, Aish, Smith, Toovey, Ramsay, Sinclair, Macaffer

No shows: Before I start, the players split up into two teams, the whites versus the blacks. Because the white team had their numbers obscured, it's possible I missed some of the players out there. Having said that, I couldn't sight Sidebottom, Elliot, Howe, Maynard or Williams.

Some observations:
Witts and Grundy were having a fierce contest in the ruck. Neither you could say were winning the contest. Both are very evenly matched. It going to be a interesting dilemma how to play two pure ruckmen in the same team.

Jesse White appeared to be playing at the centre bounces. He has an incredible burst of speed at the contests which could be useful in the centre. Remains to be seen whether he has the stamina to play as a mid.

Reid is a CHB and that's where he should stay unless we lose every key forward in the team.

Fasolo is a key forward who could be used like a Eddie Betts or Milne type. He can jump, or run off opponents and kick multiple goals. At one point he told his teammates to clear out of the forward line to open space for him.

from injury. The problem (a pleasant one) will be finding room in the forward line for Moore that has Cloke, Elliot, Fasolo, Swan and Howe. Likewise finding room for De Goey in the centre rotations that include Treloar, Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Crisp and Sidebottom.

Aish was playing off half back and looks a fair way off the rest of the main group.

Sinclair has elite speed and runs both ends of the ground and is difficult to see why he wouldn't demand a spot in the team at half back.

Frost needs to eliminate his errors in training such as miskicking the ball or fumbling the mark, if he is to command a spot in the team ahead of Brown or Reid.

Marsh looks fantastic in training on the half back line. Question is where to play him when you have Brown, Reid and Frost ahead of him.

Of the first year players in match play, only Crocker stood out to me. He's not elite in anything, but he doesn't appear deficient in anything either. He runs to the right spots, is a good mark and a good kick and can kick goals. He looks like a second or third year player to me, whereas players like Goodyear and Golds appear to look like first year players to me.

Sier was playing as a half forward, so I gather if he makes it into the first side this year, it will be as a half forward and not as a mid. He has beautiful size to him and has lost a bit of weight, but has a long way to go to adjusting to playing against grown footballers.

Thanks for the report. To answer your question about Marsh, you put him in place of Frost. Marsh basically replaced Frost in the back line late last year, and if training reports are anything to go by, there's no reason yet that Frost should command a spot ahead of him as a third tall with Brown and Reid already taking key roles.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks for the review - look forward to any comments from the track watchers on Nicks.
White actually has a decent tank - I prefer him up the ground on the ball or wing.
FYI
Sidey and Marley both pictured on the collingwood site.

Last edited by MJ23 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
What did Treloar do today?

Why did Aish look Far Off? He sounds like he is in and out of the Rehab Group

Treloar ran endless laps around the Yarra park ground. If I was in Treloar's shoes I would be bored senseless, but such is the plight of an AFL footballer who is unable to participate in main training.

As for Aish he looks like a mini version of Nathan Brown, playing off half back along side Brown. Hopefully, as he regains match fitness, we can see what he can offer in the midfield.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Cheers for the report.

Interesting that White is being tried in the midfield, could be a good fit for him.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Its great to have pressure for spots coming into the NAB
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Stupied wrote:

Some observations:

Thanks for the report. To answer your question about Marsh, you put him in place of Frost. Marsh basically replaced Frost in the back line late last year, and if training reports are anything to go by, there's no reason yet that Frost should command a spot ahead of him as a third tall with Brown and Reid already taking key roles.

My view based on his AFL and VFL form (one VFL game I saw on TV and what I read following blogs) last year is that Marsh is a long way off AFL standard if we expect to be a top-4 or even top-8 team.

I think there is a bit of "new toy syndrome" about guys like Marsh and Maynard.

Champion Data (re Marsh): "A developing player that needs another year or two to find his feet.". That's exactly what I think - he's an AFL prospect rather than an AFL standard player right now (based off last year anyway).

I'm always happy for Collingwood guys to come out and play better than I expect though.

Frost did pretty well in 2015, but was very defensive (like Browny) and was sent back to the VFL to work on his offensive game out of defence (as I recall an interview snippet from him I think last year). Having both Brown and Frost in the backline does raise potential issues regarding lack of intercept marking and offensive drive out of the backline.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:25 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

Some observations:

My view based on his AFL and VFL form (one VFL game I saw on TV and what I read following blogs) last year is that Marsh is a long way off AFL standard if we expect to be a top-4 or even top-8 team.

Champion Data (re Marsh): "A developing player that needs another year or two to find his feet.". That's exactly what I think - he's an AFL prospect rather than an AFL standard player right now (based off last year anyway).

I'm always happy for Collingwood guys to come out and play better than I expect though.

Frost did pretty well in 2015, but was very defensive (like Browny) and was sent back to the VFL to work on his offensive game out of defence (as I recall an interview snippet from him I think last year). Having both Brown and Frost in the backline does raise potential issues regarding lack of intercept marking and offensive drive out of the backline.

Marsh Dominated at VFL Level last year and deserved his Call Up to AFL Side.

Might take a year or 2 to get him playing Good AFL Footy

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Seems like what we see and know about Frost will always remain the same, meaning, fumbles marks, mis kicks & unsure on the ground... Exit Frost in Marsh......simple.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

Some observations:

Well in the telecast game I watched on ABC he muffed it 3 or 4 times and gave up a goal each time. I don't regard that as dominating.

He did much the same thing in one of his early AFL games - it was 2 or 3 gifted goals to the opposition.

He's an exciting prospect, but we can't afford that at the AFL level.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:09 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Stupied wrote:

Some observations:

Well in the telecast game I watched on ABC he muffed it 3 or 4 times and gave up a goal each time. I don't regard that as dominating.

He did much the same thing in one of his early AFL games - it was 2 or 3 gifted goals to the opposition.

That was 1 Game and I don't even Remember that happening.

He did not do that at AFL Level Shocked

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm

from Stevo

No shortage of hard work for Dane Swan. Brutal individual running session today ... @7NewsMelbourne

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

That was 1 Game and I don't even Remember that happening.

He did not do that at AFL Level Shocked

I'm with Dave here. Watched him play 8-10 VFL games and he continues to improve with every outing in terms of his general contested work including marking, his reading of the play, and his willingness to provide some dash out of defence. Still a work in progress but definitely a lot to like about the way he's worked to improve his game. Disposal the most noticeable improvement. Still prone to an occasional clanger but they became the exception rather than the rule toward the end of 2015.

PS: Someone will recall better than I can at the moment but there was the instance in 1 of his senior games where he ran from defence down a wing and laced out a 45-50 metre pass to Pendles (from memory) who was running with the flight and didn't have to break stride before collecting the footy and moving it further forward. That sort of ball use has become far more common in Marsh's game.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: