Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Happy Straya day all

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://criminologyassignments.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/did-australia-become-legally-and.html

"...Independence for the Commonwealth Parliament was largely achieved through the Imperial Statute of Westminster 1931; however, it was only adopted formally in Australia in 1942, backdated to 3 September 1939, via the Statute of Westminster Adoption Act 1942...

3rd September would be the day I'd choose.

Celebrate 26 Australia as White settlement day or what ever term you're going to use e.g. monarchy etc & our proud British roots but also mark it as invasion day: It's neither one or the other it's both.

Not many holidays in September. It was the time that Australia was legally independent. Can't offend anyone that way.

Now that January 26 is no longer reserved for test matches in Adelaide (rather it is the crass game they call T20) then 26 January has to change.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Fascinating stuff, WPT. I had no idea we didn't become a sovereign nation in 1901. Learn something new every day! Smile

Only problem is that they backdated it to the beginning of WW2, which is a pretty crappy day to celebrate. But if that's when we became independent, why not? Or else we could go from 9th of October 1942 when the bill was actually adopted.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:06 pm

David wrote:
Fascinating stuff, WPT. I had no idea we didn't become a sovereign nation in 1901. Learn something new every day! Smile

Only problem is that they backdated it to the beginning of WW2, which is a pretty crappy day to celebrate. But if that's when we became independent, why not? Or else we could go from 9th of October 1942 when the bill was actually adopted.

I'm happy with October 9. It marks Australia's independence.

26 January does not mark "our" independence.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

I'm happy with October 9. It marks Australia's independence.

26 January does not mark "our" independence.

Yeah nah, juniors birthday, would be a pain, have to have two parties!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

King Monkey wrote:
Without the British colonising parts of the continent, none of us would be alive today. None. Including those that prefer to refer to the date as "Invasion Day."

Does anyone think the Aborigines would have been left alone to live by the laws of their culture until this day if it weren't for the British arriving??????

We've got it bloody good here in Australia, more people should recognise that IMO.
It's getting really irritating being told how terrible we all are.

Past mistakes will not and cannot be erased, but lessons have obviously been learned and these mistakes will not be repeated.
Learning from mistakes I would've thought to be an excellent starting position for any individual or body of people, including a whole nation.

Choose another date and someone will have a problem with it for some or another reason.

"Get over it" is definitely the incorrect sentiment, but pointing out that past atrocities have been acknowledged and attempts to rectify these have happened and are continually happening is falling on deaf ears.
The right to not celebrate the day is up to the individual, but the right to celebrate what it means to be Australian in 2016 is afforded to all and should never be compromised by a few vocal protesters and bloggers.

Being Australian regardless of one's heritage is about the best birthday present anyone in the world could wish for.

I'd like to finish my (somewhat disjointed Laughing ) post with some glib clichd quote about moving forward instead of looking backwards, but that'll do.........

I just read that and had to recheck who wrote it, because for a second I thought I had. Razz

Could not agree more.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:32 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Without the British colonising parts of the continent, none of us would be alive today. None. Including those that prefer to refer to the date as "Invasion Day."

Does anyone think the Aborigines would have been left alone to live by the laws of their culture until this day if it weren't for the British arriving??????

We've got it bloody good here in Australia, more people should recognise that IMO.

Past mistakes will not and cannot be erased, but lessons have obviously been learned and these mistakes will not be repeated.
Learning from mistakes I would've thought to be an excellent starting position for any individual or body of people, including a whole nation.

Choose another date and someone will have a problem with it for some or another reason.

"Get over it" is definitely the incorrect sentiment, but pointing out that past atrocities have been acknowledged and attempts to rectify these have happened and are continually happening is falling on deaf ears.
The right to not celebrate the day is up to the individual, but the right to celebrate what it means to be Australian in 2016 is afforded to all and should never be compromised by a few vocal protesters and bloggers.

Being Australian regardless of one's heritage is about the best birthday present anyone in the world could wish for.

I'd like to finish my (somewhat disjointed Laughing ) post with some glib clichd quote about moving forward instead of looking backwards, but that'll do.........

I just read that and had to recheck who wrote it, because for a second I thought I had. Razz

Could not agree more.
gawd thinking like ya old lady, scary
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:47 pm

^

LOL, KM ain't my old lady, he's my doppelganger (or I'm his. Shocked Confused )

Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Firstly pardon my lack of computer skills although like Manuel I'm getting there: Your quotes in bold & my replies not in bold:

King Monkey wrote:

Of course, that's a truism. However, why should that day be Australia day? Why not make it inclusive especially to the original inhabitants, the Aborigines. As you noted there are some (quite rightly) who do see it as invasion day, of course it is as well as the founding of white settlement.

Who cares? For me it is entirely irrelevant to Australia Day.

So who's arguing? A truism but unrelated IMO to "Australia Day" being held on 26 January

As you later note, get over it. Know your history (not you KM but you in the wider sense): the good bits with the bad bits. That way the approach to history will not be (dare I say it) "white washed". Having recognised the shocking history of white treatment of Aborigines that still continues today (on a far lesser scale of course) I do not feel any guilt (that Howard, Bolt et al manufactured in the culture wars) only identification, acknowledgement, some shame in our history & recognition.

Past mistakes will not and cannot be erased, [b]but lessons have obviously been learned and these mistakes will not be repeated.
    Learning from mistakes I would've thought to be an excellent starting position for any individual or body of people, including a whole nation [/b]

If only lessons have been learned. I'm not quite as confident as you. If you start with whitewashing history then how can lessons be learned? Lessons can be given the chance to be learned if history is allowed to capture a number of narratives. Many years ago we had a Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody - I'm not too sure if the lessons to be learned are all that widespread.

For me aspects of this paragraph also constitutes another truism. But it seems to me a motherhood statement. No one can argue with a motherhood statement (notwithstanding the assumptions underpinning them)

26 January is both simultaneously an invasion day and the commencement of white settlement through British colonial rule (whether good or bad or inbetween)

No opinion on the above

Agree although I'm not that gushing as you. I just want the birthday to be placed on the day of Australia's independence which was not & has never been the 26th of January.

The US marks its independence when the got rid of the British.
France marks its independence day from the French Revolution.

Australia too should mark it's day of independence from the UK on October 9 as noted elsewhere. Apart from TP's family this day could be very inclusive & celebrate the things you've identified above: great country, great place in general, although had the Chinese conquered us the food would have been better earlier with all due respect to toad in a hole.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm not wedded to the date, why not do the trifecta in the near future and pin the date around that?

By the trifecta I mean:

1. Become a repulic
2. Amend the constitution to include recognition of the first Australians.
3. Get a new flag. Consign the union jack to a relic of the past. Jack off Australia

Do the trifecta, draw a line across the past (don't forget, just cast the anchor loose) and set the joint up to move and look forward.

The past can be an interesting place to visit, both potentially instructive and destructive. It's a shit place to live.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not wedded to the date, why not do the trifecta in the near future and pin the date around that?

By the trifecta I mean:

1. Become a repulic
3. Get a new flag. Consign the union jack to a relic of the past. Jack off Australia

Do the trifecta, draw a line across the past (don't forget, just cast the anchor loose) and set the joint up to move and look forward.

The past can be an interesting place to visit, both potentially instructive and destructive. It's a shit place to live.

**** wait til the end of this year at least, hard to ge a passport on short notice, and I've already booked two trips

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:12 pm

Nah, get citizenship, stop stuffing round.

You can always go to England to live, I'm sure you'd love the weather. Razz Wink

npalm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 pm

So ..... does Australia Day really need to be an anniversary of a historical date?
The nation is not defined by one single day in history.
Why not pick a date arbitrarily? How about the second Monday in October?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:

By the trifecta I mean:

1. Become a repulic

it's funny, while I want a flag change I somehow want to have the Union Jack in it somewhere if in a corner or something as well as the Aboriginal Colours somewhere in it - but that type of flag could well be too "busy" in a design.

In terms of a republic which I support, it has to be selected by a group of eminent people - not elected by the people or it will undermine our parliamentary democracy.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Those who control the past control the future; those who control the present control the past. --- George Orwell
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:56 pm

^

I'm not a fan of a popularly elected president either, but I'm not a fan of the idea of a group of "eminent" (whatever you mean by that) people making the decision either. Who decides who these people are? what is the definition of "eminent"? Screw that.

I'm happy with the model that the people elect the parliament and the parliament appoints the president, similar to the current model.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: