Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood's best five home-and-away wins of the modern era

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 am
Post subject: Collingwood's best five home-and-away wins of the modern eraReply with quote

Collingwood's best five home-and-away wins of the modern era

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-best-five-homeandaway-wins-of-the-modern-era-20151221-glsmg6.html#ixzz3v01jMq7I
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

I saw a couple of these games and it brings back memories of how good Fabulous Phil Carmen really was.
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 5, all of which I was lucky enough to see live:

1. Coll v Ess - MCG 1995 (1st ANZAC match, Draw)

2. Coll v North - MCG 2015 (Huge comeback)

3. Coll v Ade - Etihad 2011 (Huge comeback)

4. Coll v Rich - Waverley 1987 (Huge comeback)

5. Coll v St.K - Waverley 1991 (Daicos kicks 8 to three quarter time in a low scoring affair in the best overall game I ever saw him play. He kicked 13 the following week against Brisbane at the Gabba, but still rated his game against St.Kilda - a better opponent and in more difficult conditions - as his finest 'three quarter' effort, lol)

Last edited by Sir Alan of Didak on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
1892_ 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:52 am

Great article, a few including those involving Carman were before my days.

Not necessarily our best games, but a couple of memorable ones that come to mind are

vs Essendon, ANZAC day 2002

I was sitting behind the scoreboard in the old Ponsford stand and it rained all day. While these games are always tight, my expectations were low given the previous years ladder. Got soaking wet, but didn't care as we won, the Essendon fans I went with certainly weren't happy.

vs St Kilda, 2010

Can't remember the round, but it was the second game at the G, this was the first time I thought we were a real chance at that years flag.

vs North, 2015

I'm sure everybody remembers our comeback, it was one of the best games I've been to.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 am

To which I'd like to add:

6.Pies v Swans Rd 4 2000 - Anthony Rocca reaches for the sky to pluck victory
7.Pies v Carlton Rd 6 1977 - Moore 7 Carman 4 in an absolute 100 point annihilation of the Showponies
8.Pies v Carlton round 2 1990 - Daicos goes nuts in the last quarter, the Showies never knew what hit them.
9.Pies v Hawthorn round 1 1989 - like Horatius at the bridge Christian takes mark after mark to deny the high flying Hawks
10. Pies v Showies Rd 5 1984 - umpires gift Ralph a freebie after the siren - and he misses!!! Pies by 5.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:50 am

Season 1969 at P.Park against the "enemy" was awresome as at half time
scores are Blues 10. 7 to us 9. 8 but just before going in at half time a ripper fight.

Third qtr. Blue,s manage 2 point whilst we pile on 12.4 and final score,s are
153 to 89 ,a 64 point flogging.

The freakish Greening kicked 7 goals from 18 disposals

BazBoy 

I was there but cannot remember the reports

From memory each side had 4 players reported

Last edited by BazBoy on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Mossi Leo

regan is true fullback wrote:
To which I'd like to add:

6.Pies v Swans Rd 4 2000 - Anthony Rocca reaches for the sky to pluck victory
7.Pies v Carlton Rd 6 1977 - Moore 7 Carman 4 in an absolute 100 point annihilation of the Showponies
8.Pies v Carlton round 2 1990 - Daicos goes nuts in the last quarter, the Showies never knew what hit them.
9.Pies v Hawthorn round 1 1989 - like Horatius at the bridge Christian takes mark after mark to deny the high flying Hawks
10. Pies v Showies Rd 5 1984 - umpires gift Ralph a freebie after the siren - and he misses!!! Pies by 5.

Very Happy Yep love anygame where we dispose of the "Showies" Great games they were thanks regan.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Reports from April 26th 1969 Carlton v Magpie,s
1st qtr. Perc Johns for striking Terry Waters and Jerker Jenkins

1st qtr. Rick Mclean for striking Thommo

4th qtr " " " " " Brian Mc.Kenzie

4th qtr Ted Potter " " John Nichols [who goes of with split eyelid}

4th qtr Thommo " " " Vin Waite [who came on to replace Nichols]

Strange one here was Teddy Potter as it was,nt normaly his nature to belt
player,s but knowing Nichols he would have provoked it

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Reports from April 26th 1969 Carlton v Magpie,s
1st qtr. Perc Johns for striking Terry Waters and Jerker Jenkins

1st qtr. Rick Mclean for striking Thommo

4th qtr " " " " " Brian Mc.Kenzie

4th qtr Ted Potter " " John Nichols [who goes of with split eyelid}

4th qtr Thommo " " " Vin Waite [who came on to replace Nichols]

Strange one here was Teddy Potter as it was,nt normaly his nature to belt
player,s but knowing Nichols he would have provoked it

pricey 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:59 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
Season 1969 at P.Park against the "enemy" was awresome as at half time
scores are Blues 10. 7 to us 9. 8 but just before going in at half time a ripper fight.

Third qtr. Blue,s manage 2 point whilst we pile on 12.4 and final score,s are
153 to 89 ,a 64 point flogging.

The freakish Greening kicked 7 goals from 18 disposals

This was the first game i went to.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:49 pm

1892_ wrote:
Great article, a few including those involving Carman were before my days.

Not necessarily our best games, but a couple of memorable ones that come to mind are

vs Essendon, ANZAC day 2002

I was sitting behind the scoreboard in the old Ponsford stand and it rained all day. While these games are always tight, my expectations were low given the previous years ladder. Got soaking wet, but didn't care as we won, the Essendon fans I went with certainly weren't happy.

vs St Kilda, 2010

Can't remember the round, but it was the second game at the G, this was the first time I thought we were a real chance at that years flag.

vs North, 2015

I'm sure everybody remembers our comeback, it was one of the best games I've been to.

Great list of games you've mentioned here.

The ANZAC Day match in 2002 was huge in the context of how the power shift had finally emerged. For many years, Essendon under Kevi Sheedy were a dominant force especially between 1999 to 2001 and Collingwood had been a team on the bottom for many years but this match changed it all. Essendon's days of domination were over after this and Collingwood's consistency and sustained success to be a regular top 8 team for the next decade can really be pinpointed from this match. Beating them in the heavy rain just made it memorable for years to come!

The St.Kilda match you speak of in 2010 occurred in round 16 as we beat them by eight goals on an overcast Saturday afternoon. It was an important win because it provided the whole club a real sense of belief that we could win the Premiership that year. We had lost to St.Kilda in the previous four encounters so this was huge for us. This belief was further enhanced when we beat Geelong a few weeks later and therefore establishing ourselves as true premiership contenders.

The comeback against North Melbourne was unbelievable. We were getting smashed in the first half and with many of us pessimistic about our chances at half time the idea of a victory was a totally delusional at this stage but after kicking a few early goals in the second half the belief and the sense that we could upset North Melbourne changed completely. After that we were on the front foot but North still had their chances to win the match in the last quarter but winning as the rain heavily poured onto the MCG with about five minutes remaining will ultimately go down as our best victory for 2015.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:55 pm

an important win because it provided the whole club a real sense of belief we could win the Premiership that year.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Quote:
Rohan, when will you publish the article on Hawthorn's best five wins over Collingwood this decade or perhaps Hawthron's best five Premiership victories since 1970?
Poor old Pies don't have a lot to celebrate over the last half century do they?
Commenter: Oscar Location Southbank Date and timeDecember 22, 2015, 9:38AM
When Rohan publishes the top 5 home & away wins for the other 17 clubs you'll have a point. Until then just leave it in a Collingwood newsletter.
Commenter Oscar
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-best-five-homeandaway-wins-of-the-modern-era-20151221-glsmg6.html#ixzz3vZjVqWfu

Perhaps this clown would like to reminisce about Hawthorn's grand final wins over Collingwood...
Anyway, in honour of Oscar the troll, here are Collingwood's greatest H&A wins over Hawthorn...

1.1989 round 1 Christian saves the day
2.1977 round 9 Ricky Barham kicks 5 on debut to rock the Hawks at Princes Park
3.2006 round 2 Magpies announce they are back in a big way by humiliating the Hawks 12.12 (84) to Collingwood 18.11 (119)
4.1974 round 1 Pies beat Hawks in the mud. Cooper, Gott and co keep Hudson and Moncrieff goaless.
5.And lucky last...
Not strictly H&A, but in 1979, after humbling the Hawks 169 to 62 on the weekend, Rd 13, the Magpies took on the reigning premiers in the 1979 Night Grand Final, and won by 4 goals. McCormack best on ground, the only night premiership for our mob until 2011!
1892_ 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Quote:
Rohan, when will you publish the article on Hawthorn's best five wins over Collingwood this decade or perhaps Hawthron's best five Premiership victories since 1970?
Poor old Pies don't have a lot to celebrate over the last half century do they?
Commenter: Oscar Location Southbank Date and timeDecember 22, 2015, 9:38AM
When Rohan publishes the top 5 home & away wins for the other 17 clubs you'll have a point. Until then just leave it in a Collingwood newsletter.
Commenter Oscar
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-best-five-homeandaway-wins-of-the-modern-era-20151221-glsmg6.html#ixzz3vZjVqWfu

Perhaps this clown would like to reminisce about Hawthorn's grand final wins over Collingwood...
Anyway, in honour of Oscar the troll, here are Collingwood's greatest H&A wins over Hawthorn...

1.1989 round 1 Christian saves the day
2.1977 round 9 Ricky Barham kicks 5 on debut to rock the Hawks at Princes Park
3.2006 round 2 Magpies announce they are back in a big way by humiliating the Hawks 12.12 (84) to Collingwood 18.11 (119)
4.1974 round 1 Pies beat Hawks in the mud. Cooper, Gott and co keep Hudson and Moncrieff goaless.
5.And lucky last...
Not strictly H&A, but in 1979, after humbling the Hawks 169 to 62 on the weekend, Rd 13, the Magpies took on the reigning premiers in the 1979 Night Grand Final, and won by 4 goals. McCormack best on ground, the only night premiership for our mob until 2011!

The poor bloke obviously can't read, he's talking overall wins and flags when the article's about home and away mathces. Maybe this vision of the 2011 prelim will help him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHNJBtvWhw
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Theres a new box set you can buy which is pretty accurate:

- Pies v Freo where Bucks gets 43 poss
- Pies v Eagles 2007 Semi Final OT
- Daicos 13 goals
- Tarrant goal after siren (was there 2?)
- Pies v Lions R8(?) 2003
- Pies v Hawks 2011 Final

Id possible add in:
- Jack Anthony "right in front of me!" 2009 Semi Final v Crows
- Blair toe poke Anzac Day 2012
- Ben Johnson tackle v Port Qual Final 2002
- Heath Shaw Riewoldt tackle/smother 2010 draw

----------
------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: