Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem uncertain. I'm not sure if I am ready for that yet.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 pm

David wrote:
Pi wrote:
US presidents and mass shootings:

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publications/detail/presidents-and-mass-shootings

To match Obama's numbers Trump will need to get to about 118 by the end of his current term, my guess is 131 by November 2020. Perhaps we should run a poll on it and see who gets closest.

Imagine if Congress had passed a few of the gun control proposals before them during the Obama administration. Then, perhaps, Trump might have gotten to oversee a lower mass shooting rate.

https://www.bustle.com/p/24-gun-control-laws-that-have-failed-since-sandy-hook-7589491

If congress actually passed any of those laws, the NRA would have them straight into court arguing 2nd amendment breach.

The only way forward is to either repeal or amend the 2nd amendment first, then introduce gun control measures.

While gun laws in the US are controlled by the states, same as Australia, and the majority of the states allow open carry of firearms, you're pushing shit uphill.

Think a cross between Sisyphus and a dung beetle......

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Court cases or not, there’s no guarantee the NRA would win all (or any) of them, as they seem to take a fairly extreme interpretation of the 2nd amendment that pretty much no-one takes seriously (I may not be a US constitutional lawyer, but how on earth do background checks contradict a general right to bear arms!?). I’m not sure about where former gun-control-related hearings have fallen, but I think much more radical reforms than anything Obama attempted had gotten through previously, which suggests to me that the problem is more with politicians than the courts.

Anyhow, given Trump’s penchant for stacking the benches with constitutional originalists, I guess there’s a much bigger chance now that any reforms would be frustrated. Maybe that’ll lead to a more concerted effort to just repeal the 2nd altogether, but I can’t really see that working out anytime soon.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Shall not be infringed,

Quote:
In the twenty-first century, the amendment has been subjected to renewed academic inquiry and judicial interest.[16] In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual's right to keep a gun at home for self-defense.[17][18] This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun.[19][20][18] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court clarified that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Second Amendment against state and local governments.[21] In Caetano v. Massachusetts (2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Background checks are largely useless anyway as they'd only catch the 1%

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 pm

No one is looking to takeaway their right to own "a" gun.

Their looking to takeaway their right to own guns that should never have been allowed in the hands of civilians in the first place.

Federal or State laws should be able to restrict the types of guns available for purchase as they see fit but what the United States really needs are enough brave politicians prepared to stand up to the lobby groups of weapons manufacturers and the NRA.

It would be good also if wealthy liberals were prepared to finance a lobby group in direct opposition of the NRA.

To me the basic point that should be rammed home every time is that no one needs a semi automatic pistol or rifle to protect themselves from an intruder or go hunting.

As awful as it is to admit the more frequent these mass shootings occur the better it might be as a tipping point must surely come at some stage.

Personally I think it should be a great national shame that Sandy Hook wasn't that moment already like Port Arthur was for us.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Shall not be infringed,

Quote:
In the twenty-first century, the amendment has been subjected to renewed academic inquiry and judicial interest.[16] In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual's right to keep a gun at home for self-defense.[17][18] This was the first time the Court had ruled that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual's right to own a gun.[19][20][18] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court clarified that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Second Amendment against state and local governments.[21] In Caetano v. Massachusetts (2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Background checks are largely useless anyway as they'd only catch the 1%

That excerpt seems a lot closer to what I was saying than anything the NRA or Republican legislators would like to believe is the case. Those 1876 and 1939 decisions are way more radical than the most optimistic gun-control advocate would dream of now, and the 21st century Supreme Court decisions are all fairly fundamental defences of gun ownership that wouldn’t strike down any of the Democratic bills listed previously.

Of course those bills were merely tinkering around the edges; but the fact that even they couldn’t get through shows how impossible it is for any more substantial gun-control measures to be legislated. You can’t blame them for trying.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 pm

To be clear, I'm not supporting the 2nd amendment right argument, just pointing out that it's existence makes it fkn hard. I don't think you can change the culture while it exists in it's current form.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:31 pm

swoop42 wrote:
No one is looking to takeaway their right to own "a" gun.

Their looking to takeaway their right to own guns that should never have been allowed in the hands of civilians in the first place.

Federal or State laws should be able to restrict the types of guns available for purchase as they see fit but what the United States really needs are enough brave politicians prepared to stand up to the lobby groups of weapons manufacturers and the NRA.

It would be good also if wealthy liberals were prepared to finance a lobby group in direct opposition of the NRA.

To me the basic point that should be rammed home every time is that no one needs a semi automatic pistol or rifle to protect themselves from an intruder or go hunting.

As awful as it is to admit the more frequent these mass shootings occur the better it might be as a tipping point must surely come at some stage.

Personally I think it should be a great national shame that Sandy Hook wasn't that moment already like Port Arthur was for us.

this apart form the more frequent mass shootings, i cant bring myself to say that.

We had just left Miami and we were on the road to Cocoa Beach when it came on the radio. That night I was on a treadmill at a gym and it was on every channel. I will never forget that moment.

someone needs to get brave, and do an anonymous poll, i reckon the results would be very surprising.

i wonder just how much it would take to run the Gun lobby out of there, surely a few blockbuster actors could do it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 pm

omg

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 pm

I think there's a deeper cultural problem at play here than just guns alone.

The idea that enacting strict gun laws will bring about signifiant change is naive.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 pm

swoop42 wrote:

From my understanding of the American psyche, most people don't own guns because it protects themselves from intruders or to go hunting, but rather its to protect themselves against any kind of government tyranny in the future.

Rightly or wrongly, that's the original basis of the 2nd Amendment and remains so to this day.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Jezza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

From my understanding of the American psyche, most people don't own guns because it protects themselves from intruders or to go hunting, but rather its to protect themselves against any kind of government tyranny in the future.

Rightly or wrongly, that's the original basis of the 2nd Amendment and remains so to this day.

whenever we go there i always chat with at least one person about guns, and the response i get is basically"Í need a gun to protect me because the bad guys have them, but i dont really want one". i never ask if they have one!

personally i believe until something is done about the massive poverty problem, not much will help. The high cost of medical treatment and health insurance means too many dont have it. the drug culture has only added to mental health issues.

certainly crushing all high powered rifles and automatic would help at least in reducing the kill count. who needs a gun that shoots hundreds of rounds?

i havent really been deep into redneck country, im guessing there are still plenty of anti government types, but i dont think its the norm.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Jezza wrote:

The idea that enacting strict gun laws will bring about signifiant change is naive.

bingo.

The USA is not Australia.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:

bingo.

The USA is not Australia.

and a lot of it is poverty, poor access to health care, especially mental health care, and just the massive amount of people that really need some handouts, genuinely

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:56 pm

think positive wrote:
whenever we go there i always chat with at least one person about guns, and the response i get is basically"Í need a gun to protect me because the bad guys have them, but i dont really want one". i never ask if they have one!

personally i believe until something is done about the massive poverty problem, not much will help. The high cost of medical treatment and health insurance means too many dont have it. the drug culture has only added to mental health issues.

certainly crushing all high powered rifles and automatic would help at least in reducing the kill count. who needs a gun that shoots hundreds of rounds?

i havent really been deep into redneck country, im guessing there are still plenty of anti government types, but i dont think its the norm.

I think you're right to mention the problems with drugs and mental illness.

Other countries have similar gun laws to the US such as Switzerland and Czech Republic but their gun crimes are substantially lower. That's why I think irrespective of gun laws, there's an unexplained cultural problem that exists within the US in contrast to countries such as Switzerland and Czech Republic.

It should be noted that the US has had the right to bear arms since its independence, but gun violence only started noticeably spiking from the 1960s onwards suggesting a cultural shift that has been adverse to American society.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 25 of 48   

Jump to: