Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine if after Port Arthur rather than arranging the gun buy-back the government opened the floodgates to gun purchasing allowed them to be sold in supermarkets permitted concealed carry in pubs and encouraged everyone to have their own personal machine gun in their house
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:50 pm

David wrote:
Imagine if, after Port Arthur, rather than arranging the gun buy-back, the government had instead opened the floodgates to gun purchasing, allowed them to be sold in supermarkets, permitted concealed carry in pubs and encouraged everyone to have their own personal machine gun in their house. We really missed an opportunity to keep ourselves safe there.

There was a lot more to it that a gun buy back, Gun laws are state based, Howard had to get all the states to agree to having a uniform law, national registration and the banning of certain weapons, which then led to the buy back.

Unless every state signs up, the system doesn't work.

I can't see any president being able to get all 50 states to agree to similar laws, just won't happen.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

There's something fundamentally wrong in the USA, whether it's due to a culture that glorifies guns or whether it's poor mental health screening or whether it's a multitude of factors, which is leading to a high number of mass shootings.

In relation to Australia, gun related deaths were declining before the Port Arthur massacre happened, as the ABS stats from 1980 to 1995 demonstrate, so I think the impact of gun control measures under Howard is somewhat overstated.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbytitle/9C85BD1298C075EACA2568A900139342?OpenDocument

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Stats only tell part of the story.

In the lead up to Port Arthur we had both Queen St and hoddle St which got national attention. There were also a few mass shootings, labelled "spree" shootings in NSW in the late 80's early 90's. When Port Arthur occurred, the scale was OTT and demanded action.

fact is, there hasn't been a mass shooting of scale since the laws were changed

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Jezza wrote:
There's something fundamentally wrong in the USA, whether it's due to a culture that glorifies guns or whether it's poor mental health screening or whether it's a multitude of factors, which is leading to a high number of mass shootings.

In relation to Australia, gun related deaths were declining before the Port Arthur massacre happened, as the ABS stats from 1980 to 1995 demonstrate, so I think the impact of gun control measures under Howard is somewhat overstated.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/productsbytitle/9C85BD1298C075EACA2568A900139342?OpenDocument

Gun ownership rates in the 1920s were (I am told) not much different from what they are today, yet gun-related deaths were far lower and there were almost no mass shootings. It is hard to see organic mental illness rates changing over time. This phenomenon really took off in the 1960s.

I would like to see a major inquiry into the common factors of these incidents. I suspect brain systems and chemistry damaged by drugs (hard and soft, including steroids) is probably the most likely hypothesis. In the very great majority of cases the perpetrator of such an act has been a heavy drug user or steroid taker. Nobody wants to hear that, but it is worth looking for it when these happen. It’s striking.

In the absence of that, taking guns - especially assault rifle-type guns- out of society is a sound strategy, as the worldwide data shows very clearly.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm

It would be like trying to take all cigarette lighters off the street... impossible!

People can use a 3D printer to make a gun.

There's more people, there's more **** heads.... the situation only has one way to go.

Sad... but true.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 pm

No I am as happy as ever.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Stats only tell part of the story.

In the lead up to Port Arthur we had both Queen St and hoddle St which got national attention. There were also a few mass shootings, labelled "spree" shootings in NSW in the late 80's early 90's. When Port Arthur occurred, the scale was OTT and demanded action.

fact is, there hasn't been a mass shooting of scale since the laws were changed

Good point, Stui.

In a way, it's a miracle we haven't had what is defined as a "mass shooting" since Port Arthur, but there have been close calls, most notably the Monash University shooting in 2002 which killed 2 and injured 5 people and the Lindt Cafe siege in 2014.

I just wonder to what extent (if it can be measured at all) that gun control has had on the lack of mass shootings in Australia, as gun-related deaths were already declining before the events of Port Arthur, but you are right to say that mass shootings haven't occurred since 1996 which is a great outcome.

The ABC published an interesting article in 2016 with regard to the extent of gun ownership after Port Arthur.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-28/alpers-the-truth-about-gun-ownership-after-port-arthur/7365790

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:50 am

Mugwump wrote:
Gun ownership rates in the 1920s were (I am told) not much different from what they are today, yet gun-related deaths were far lower and there were almost no mass shootings. It is hard to see organic mental illness rates changing over time. This phenomenon really took off in the 1960s.

I would like to see a major inquiry into the common factors of these incidents. I suspect brain systems and chemistry damaged by drugs (hard and soft, including steroids) is probably the most likely hypothesis. In the very great majority of cases the perpetrator of such an act has been a heavy drug user or steroid taker. Nobody wants to hear that, but it is worth looking for it when these happen. It’s striking.

In the absence of that, taking guns - especially assault rifle-type guns- out of society is a sound strategy, as the worldwide data shows very clearly.

Agree with all of that, which makes me wonder what's triggering the spike in mass shootings in the US.

Americans have always had the "right to bear arms", but the frequency of mass shootings is unprecedented now than it was say 50 to 100 years ago.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:30 am

"Just seven weeks into 2018, there have been eight shootings at US schools that have resulted in injury or death. Congress has refused to tighten restrictions on gun ownership, even after 20 children and six educators were massacred in 2012 in Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut". If the USA people refused to something after the Sandy Hook Massacre, they never will.

Claims that teachers should be armed. Laughing Laughing Shooting at a still target that's not firing an automatic weapon back at you is very easy. Takes a lot of training to shoot at something that is shooting at you and if they have an automatic weapon it's a lot fckn harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=gM0cgJaqt80 A great speech that will fall on deaf ears.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Aren't those bullet-proof whiteboards they're selling just the best teaching tools ever?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Did they have AK-15s in public shops in 1920?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:36 pm

David wrote:

You mean an AR-15?

They didn't exist in the 1920s.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Jezza wrote:
David wrote:

You mean an AR-15?

Neither did the bullet-proof whiteboards.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Jezza wrote:
David wrote:

You mean an AR-15?

a) possibly, yes; b) my point precisely.

That such a weapon (and its various cousins) was ever approved for public usage is surely one of the greatest scandals in US domestic policy history.

Last edited by David on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 7 of 48   

Jump to: