Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Why would you remove those from the equation? I don’t get it.

Because if you are going to take away the rights of millions of law abiding citizens, you wont stop gang related homicide. Most of these crimes uses stolen or illegally imported guns. And while you might stop some suicide, there are plenty of other ways to end your life. And anyway, these suicides are deaths where mental issues are the problem, not the gun.

But it's a moot point because of four words...

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:48 pm

Reducing gun ownership will surely reduce suicide numbers. Not sure what the data is on that, but I think we can confidently assume that there will be a correlation between effective and easily available methods and higher incidence. Saying "mental issues are the problem, not the gun" is a non sequitur, because these (and other factors) obviously intersect. In life there's never just one "problem" that exists in isolation, and this is no exception.

It also, I think, goes without saying that reducing gun ownership reduces the number of guns that can be illegally purchased or stolen (illegal importation is a separate problem but presumably a fairly small one given how easy it is to get guns in the US: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html). There are more and less effective methods of controlling supply – and some black market is inevitable – but it doesn't mean they shouldn't try.

As for the last part, if America weren't such a broken society then those four words (and the rest) could and should be the subject of a national referendum. But it is and they won't be, so it is, as you say, a moot point.

Aren't you glad we live in a country where we generally don't have to worry about any of this? Or do you look at the American situation with envy and think ... I'll have what they're having?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:01 pm

^ yes but the victims do have have the politicians GOP mostly and Murdoch press thoughts and prayers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hk4TGuedxA

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:16 am

Every "law abiding" gun owner is "law abiding" until they shoot someone with their lethal weapon. They are all potential killers - because they own a lethal weapon.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:49 pm

So I guess all car owners are potential killers too.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
So I guess all car owners are potential killers too.

As you know the purpose of a gun is to kill (farmers, soldiers, police, crooks, nutty and armed libertarians, and other militia) yes there are gun clubs & the like but really they are the exception.

The purpose of a car is basically to transport.

When I ride my bicycle I see drivers (and dumb cyclists\scooter riders) as potential killers.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:41 pm

^ Yep, exactly. It's an interesting comparison if you think about it for less than five minutes, but the fact is that if personal (i.e. "self-defence") guns had as much social utility as cars then the conversation would be very different. As it is, they exist only to enact or threaten violence on others, and they pretty clearly cause more harm than good. I doubt the number of lives saved each year in the US thanks to a personal gun is equivalent to even one major mass shooting.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Yes it's a poor comparison,guns were designed for war and to kill people and cars were designed for transport, but cars kill more people in Australia every year than guns do.

As a legal gun owner, I just find the statement that all legal gun owners are potential killers to be repugnant.

A more accurate statement would be that all people are potential killers. All they need are motive, means and opportunity, or just stupid carelessness in the case of car drivers.

Guns were designed to kill, but cars can be used as a weapon too. Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDkdimGntQ

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:26 pm

So I guess all knife owners are potential killers too given that all of us own a knife which has the sole purpose of cutting skin, fat and muscle of an animal.

We better ban butchers while we are at.....those crazy would be killers
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:49 pm

Well the Victorian Government haven't banned butchers, yet, but they've as good as banned knives. The pocket knife that pretty much goes everywhere I do, as I've done since I was 6, is considered a prohibited weapon. Rolling Eyes
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well the Victorian Government haven't banned butchers, yet, but they've as good as banned knives. The pocket knife that pretty much goes everywhere I do, as I've done since I was 6, is considered a prohibited weapon. Rolling Eyes

I carry one pretty much everyday, luckily it's for 'work purposes' Wink Laughing Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
So I guess all knife owners are potential killers too given that all of us own a knife which has the sole purpose of cutting skin, fat and muscle of an animal.

You’re kind of proving the opposite point here. The point of course is that if knives served no useful function other than self-defence / violence then they would also be banned here (and, indeed, are in many contexts). But we need them for many other necessary purposes, so they stay.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:36 pm

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

You’re kind of proving the opposite point here. The point of course is that if knives served no useful function other than self-defence / violence then they would also be banned here (and, indeed, are in many contexts). But we need them for many other necessary purposes, so they stay.

The US Supreme Court held that the second amendment protects the right to possess....and use a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self defence in the home.

Ever wondered why the the rate of burglaries in the USA is half that of Australia, and one third that of New Zealand.

NZ 1,350 burglary's per 100,000 residents
Australia 674
USA 376
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:25 pm

It doesn't help that if someone breaks into your house here, and you go out and hit them upside of the head with a cricket bat, you're likely to be charged with assault unless you can proved self defence or that they were armed.

Over there, in many states, if someone breaks into your house you shoot them first then ask the corpse what they're doing there , and walk away scott free.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:59 pm

^ makes you wonder which is the broken society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 45 of 48   

Jump to: