Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
Additionally the 2nd amendment was designed for the population to have the same weapons available to it as the Government.

You know the US government has nukes, right? Nukes. And bombs, grenades, anti-aircraft weaponry, chemical weapons (yep, they still have them – look it up). Fancy putting any of those in the hands of every law-abiding American citizen? I mean, there’s no actual other viable answer but yes if this is your view. People making pipe bombs in their garage (you know, just in case) aren’t criminals, they’re patriots.

Look, I’m all for regulating state power. But if the gun nuts ever decide they’ve had enough and want to take over, prepare for something like the Syrian conflict at best. And any kind of tyranny worth resisting isn’t going to hold back.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
" Ask someone who hunts something like Wild pigs if they're happy to be cycling the bolt while a 90kg pig or 270kg Grizzly bear is charging them.

As someone who used to hunt, if you aren't a good enough hunter and shot to be able to take down your target with a single clean shot, you shouldn't be hunting.

Bears take more than one shot and the big £$%$ers don’t mess around.

Didn’t you ever miss? I know bow hunters who are shitscared of wounded pigs.

Yeah, I'd sometimes miss and need a second shot, or finish off a wounded animal humanely with a knife, but never just pumped lead at something til it died. That's not sporting hunting.

As far as pigs and bow hunters, they should be shit scared, those £$%$ers are dangerous, which is why hunting them with a bow is for Adrenalin junkies. You miss, you're gonna get gored.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well, Trump has moved to ban bump stocks.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/20/politics/donald-trump-bump-stocks/index.html

I suppose that's a start.
Yay, kids will then be able to go to school safe in the knowledge that crazy Timmy will only have a semi automatic AR15 that he can't convert into full automatic.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
" Ask someone who hunts something like Wild pigs if they're happy to be cycling the bolt while a 90kg pig or 270kg Grizzly bear is charging them.

As someone who used to hunt, if you aren't a good enough hunter and shot to be able to take down your target with a single clean shot, you shouldn't be hunting.

Bears take more than one shot and the big £$%$ers don’t mess around.

Didn’t you ever miss? I know bow hunters who are shitscared of wounded pigs.

Then don't hunt bears.

Pretty simple.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Additionally the 2nd amendment was designed for the population to have the same weapons available to it as the Government.

You know the US government has nukes, right? Nukes. And bombs, grenades, anti-aircraft weaponry, chemical weapons (yep, they still have them – look it up). Fancy putting any of those in the hands of every law-abiding American citizen? I mean, there’s no actual other viable answer but yes if this is your view. People making pipe bombs in their garage (you know, just in case) aren’t criminals, they’re patriots.

Look, I’m all for regulating state power. But if the gun nuts ever decide they’ve had enough and want to take over, prepare for something like the Syrian conflict at best. And any kind of tyranny worth resisting isn’t going to hold back.

The day America dropped it's first atom bomb was the day this notion of an armed militia being required to fight against an invading foreign power became totally moot.

The enemy lies within now for the American government and they've allowed them to be armed very very well.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 pm

If I had putting a of those in the hands of every law-abiding American citizen what would I do with it?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Hell lets start slaughtering Aboriginals like it's 1788.

It’s amazing the way this type of propaganda has become such a thoughtless, casual “truth”. There was very little “slaughter” of any kind in the early days of settlement, though there were certainly documented atrocities in the mid 1800s as conflict broke out on both sides, especially in Queensland. As the white population had far superior technology, the aboriginal people almost certainly came out of this worse. But this was not Barbarossa and the authorities largely sought to uphold the rule of law amidst inevitable conflict on both sides. Aboriginal people, understandably, did some of the killing as well. When a simplistic untruth about history becomes reflex, the cultural commissars have done their work well.

On the second amendment, I think this is a case where a kind of biblical literalism holds sway. What made sense in the very different context of 1788 should be re-examined in the light of today’s reality. Tyranny in America, though still unlikely, is more likely to be born out of modern democracy, rather than against it. And the widespread ownership of weapons, with the tragic consequences we see (and many we do not even hear about), is more likely to lead to civil war and destruction of the republic, than to its defence.

Last edited by Mugwump on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm

^

Correct.

The "genocide" was largely due to exposure to European diseases which the locals had no immunity for.

yes there were instances of planned slaughter, but these were isolated not common placer and in quite a few cases were initiated by Indigenous people killing whites.

There's a lot of misconceptions that have become common truths, I hear Aboriginal spokespersons telling (I assume unintentional) lies all the time.

It falls back to Jimmy Stewart (with apologies to Lenin), when the lie becomes the truth, print the lie.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

^ yes, diseases and booze were the big killers, an indigenous story that was sadly repeated in many places across the world in the 18th and 19th centuries. I think there has been a welcome development of the historiography in the last thirty years, showing that Aboriginal people were not passive victims, but people who tried to defend their land and make attacks where they could. It was undoubtedly an unequal struggle, but it was not entirely one-sided. In reality, the majority of the recorded white-on-black incidents of violence seem to have been grossly disproportionate, lawless reprisals by vigilante groups in frontier areas. These were certainly disgusting and shameful, but not genocidal policy.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Correct.

The "genocide" was largely due to exposure to European diseases which the locals had no immunity for.

yes there were instances of planned slaughter, but these were isolated not common placer and in quite a few cases were initiated by Indigenous people killing whites.

There's a lot of misconceptions that have become common truths, I hear Aboriginal spokespersons telling (I assume unintentional) lies all the time.

It falls back to Jimmy Stewart (with apologies to Lenin), when the lie becomes the truth, print the lie.

So, they’re almost all dead, hundreds of thousands were massacred and we’re supposed to think that it was somehow inadvertent?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 pm

What do you mean "almost all dead"?

There's more people identifying as Aboriginal now than ever before.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What do you mean "almost all dead"?

There's more people identifying as Aboriginal now than ever before.

And most are whiter than the bloke in your profile pic Cool

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 pm

What happens at an NRA rally in say Boston, sister city of Melbourne..2000 armed people "respecting their rights". A suicide gunmen opens fire randomly and shoots a dozen people. 2000 people pull out a gun and shoot anyone they see with a gun. A 1000 dead and nearly 700 badly wounded. Another couple of hundred with minor wounds.

The blame games begin.

The City of Boston is sued by a heap of relatives of dead people because they did not have enough ambulances. Medical experts testify over 750 would have been needed and to maintain that capapbility all schools, fire stations, garbage collection, police etc would be unaffordable.

A whole bucnch of grieving relatives sue the hospitals in the greater area because they couldn't save a whole bunch of people mainly because they had no blood. Blood donations could not get through because every emergency vehicle available clogged up the roads plus all the people rushing to find relatives. The same bozos suing.

The US government is sued by nearly 2000 families because they didn't see it coming, The City of Boston and Commonwealth of Massachusetts is also sued despite them wanting to ban the rally but were challenged in the Supreme Court who upheld the second amendment rights.

The entire Boston area is besieged by media and ambulance chasers. The city is in lockdown. Women have to be transported out of the area for birthing services. The US Military and national guard are called in to help and the place is declared a disaster area. Martial law is imposed as the residents start looting etc to gain supplies.

Workers are told to stay home. Public transport is stopped. All fuel supplies are recquisitioned by the emergency services. Businesses simply close.

The crime scene is so littered with material that it takes the Boston Police and the FBI over 2 years to collate the evidence. The survivors are told they will be required for legal inquiries for the next 5-10 years.

The City of Boston declares bankruptcy. So does the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Medical staff are so overwhelmed they leave the area in droves. Tourism is rooted. Emegency workers and Police are so overwhelmed they leave. Real estate plummets. Crime, with guns, escalates to an level never seen before. People with no work, no money (the banks have gone into liquidation) and can't sell a home start robbing nearby cities in New England.

Boston, one of the pillars of the constitution is ruined. The federal governement raises taxes to pay for the fallout as Phialdelphia, New York, maryland etc are inundated with internal refugees not seen since the dustbowl.

And Wayne Lempriere thinks it is someone elses fault. "Had we executed all the mentally insane, drug users and muslims this wouldn't have happened. In fact if the person who started this had have been shot at elementary school by a 7 year classmate when he stole his lunch money he wouldn't be have been able to do this".

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am

^ the US shows what happens to a society with too many lawyers.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ the US shows what happens to a society with too many lawyers.

I think they have "too many" lawyers because they have "not enough" regulation, a result of their deep distrust of government. Matters that in UK-influenced societies are regulated by the government are often a free-for-all in the US, with only the threat of litigation preventing complete anarchy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 11 of 48   

Jump to: