Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Jezza wrote:
David wrote:
Did they have AK-15s in public shops in 1920?

You mean an AR-15?

They didn't exist in the 1920s.

a) possibly, yes; b) my point precisely.

That such a weapon (and its various cousins) was ever approved for public usage is surely one of the greatest scandals in US history.

I don’t disagree. There may be other factors, too - the rise of urbanization and its anonymity and alienation, the motor car which made this possible, sheer scale of population, and the validation which comes from other people having done it before. But the presence of heavy drug/steroid use in most cases is striking when you look for it. It does not mean that all users will be prone to this, but the psychiatrically vulnerable might well be.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm

David wrote:
Did they have AK-15s in public shops in 1920?

AK-15

wut
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 pm

Sorry, clearly I was in over my head there – what I meant to say was the bang-bang machine that fires bullets really fast and kills defenceless schoolchildren quickly.

(Although, interestingly, such a beast does exist. You just might need to go to Russia to get it ... for now!)

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/ak_15.htm

Quote:
The AK-15 is mainly aimed at elite units of the Russian military and law enforcement forces, as well as possible export customers.

I wonder what country they're thinking of exporting it to...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:18 am

18 this year, 1 every 60 hours....18 kids who feel so bad, so sad, they pick up a gun and shoot people. Why. Forget the availability and the stupidity of it for a minute. Why is this happening?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am

think positive wrote:
18 this year, 1 every 60 hours....18 kids who feel so bad, so sad, they pick up a gun and shoot people. Why. Forget the availability and the stupidity of it for a minute. Why is this happening?

Absolutely, TP. And the starting point for that inquiry has to be “why didn’t it happen regularly until the 1970s and why is it getting worse ?” The damage done each time is worse because of the ludicrously powerful weapons available, but the actual mental step of undertaking a random shooting .... what is your hypothesis about why ? What has changed between the days when this was incredibly rare, and now ?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:44 am

I will ask Mike to purge my memory log.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:55 am

It’s only since the 1960s that many of these weapons have been publicly available. Something possible thus becomes conceivable. It’s also likely that media coverage creates a copycat effect – not necessarily directly, but in the sense that such an act (shooting up a school) enters the national psyche as a thing that can be done. From there, you just need the ingredients (alienated, maladjusted youth), the tools (easily available fast-firing weapons) and whichever random public space they happen to choose.

Anyway, forget about cultural change. If I were an American and had the means, I would be making plans to move overseas. To live surrounded by guns, in fear of being randomly shot anywhere at any moment, is unacceptable, and a situation that is clearly far past the point of remedy.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:30 am

But weapons with magazines capable of firing up to 5 rounds with rapid magazine replacement have been fairly standard issue in the US during and post WW1. A few spare clips and similar carnage could easily have been inflicted. I think the efficiency of the gun influences the scale of the carnage, but I doubt it is a good explanation of the initial decision to start shooting uninvolved parties. Copycat validation probably plays a greater part. Older fathers also seem to have more autistic children, and that may explain it somewhat, too. But the presence of heavy drug use, ‘roids and anti-depressants - often affecting frontal lobe functioning and often used in combination - is still the best hypothesis, I think. Regardless, taking guns out of society, and especially high-efficiency guns, seems good policy.

These incidents are dreadful, but they are not quite as traumatic as you imagine, to the average American. It’s a very big place, with a population about 18 Times (at a guess?) Australia. So 18 incidents there equals 1 here statistically, and most people live in cities where it has not happened, or in cities where some neighborhoods can seem a world away.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 am

There were fully automatic weapons around in the 20s, the Tommy Gun was readily available until full autos were restricted in I think the 30s.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:37 am

Also, the 18 school shootings thing is a total media fabrication.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:54 am

its not a total fabrication,
guns went off, or bullets landed, in school grounds on 18 different occasions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/heres-how-everytowns-disputed-report-of-18-school-shootings-breaks-down.html

now you can certainly argue further but really? 2 of them have been major, with many casualties, and as i typed that i checked myself - WTAF! i just picked 2 bunches of dead children out of 18 different shooting scenarios!! how did i become so desensitized?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Wokko wrote:
There were fully automatic weapons around in the 20s, the Tommy Gun was readily available until full autos were restricted in I think the 30s.

Sure, but not widespread, and tommy guns were very expensive for the average joe. Magazine rifles were very widely owned, though.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm

think positive wrote:
its not a total fabrication,
guns went off, or bullets landed, in school grounds on 18 different occasions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/heres-how-everytowns-disputed-report-of-18-school-shootings-breaks-down.html

now you can certainly argue further but really? 2 of them have been major, with many casualties, and as i typed that i checked myself - WTAF! i just picked 2 bunches of dead children out of 18 different shooting scenarios!! how did i become so desensitized?

That's not what people think when you say "School Shooting" it's dog whistling.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:31 pm

ok so how many on the list count?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27230/flat-wrong-washington-post-torches-much-cited-james-barrett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 8 of 48   

Jump to: