Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The politics of housing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
But why do we need to 'fix' the top end? From the perspective of a clothing factory worker in Bangladesh you or David's financial position are as far away as Donald Trump or Malcolm Turnbull are from you. Unless you're willing to halve your wealth to lift that textiles worker up, then why should you expect a billionaire to do it for you (other than the obvious envy that drives these discussions).

If wealth was redistributed evenly around the world at this exact moment then everybody's net worth would be around $9000, how is that a possibly a good thing? If it's not a good idea to steal your wealth then why is it a good idea to steal someone's who simply has more?

It's a fair question, and we should indeed ask ourselves if we can justify living in a world with such vast disparities in standard of living. If it weren't for national borders, we would undoubtedly have to give up a great deal of our comfort and possessions so that the global poor could have better lives. It's a scary thought, and it should be.

There is nothing just about the fact that there is such surplus wealth in this country while people across the world are denied access to clean drinking water; good government management has precious little to do with it. We're like the aristocrats of Old Europe living in country manors while the plebs starve, essentially. That situation can't last forever.

Yep, them pesky national boundaries are at fault. Rolling Eyes

FMD you can talk some bullshit.

national boundaries are obviously what keeps tens or hundreds of millions of Indians in abject poverty or working as servants for the Indian middle class in a country with a multitude of billionaires.

How bout good old communist (coff) China, with a metric fuckload of seriously wealthy people, a growing middle class, a government building cities that no one lives in and hundreds of millions of people living hand to mouth.

You want to argue disparity in standards of living, have a look at some of those countries governments.

Zimbabwe has really kicked on since they booted out the white fellas and redistributed all that wealth, hasn't it? 1% of the country would be living the high life while the rest starve.

We're like the aristocrats of old Europe? Really? FMD I must have misplaced my servants again. JEEVES, JEEVES, GET IN HERE.

I'll try to remember I'm a European Aristcrat on Monday when I go back to work. I'm sure that'll make the 11 hour days (inc travel) much more enjoyable, and knowing I have so much surplus wealth, wow.

Rolling Eyes God I thought you were smarter than to peddle such idealistic garbage.

Don't see what the issue is. If there was a single world government (hence no borders), the vast degree of inequality we enjoy would be more or less out. It would have to be; how could such a situation be tolerated within a single system (at least, a democratic one)?

I know it doesn't taste great, but it ain't rocket science.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:46 pm

David wrote:

Don't see what the issue is. If there was a single world government (hence no borders), the vast degree of inequality we enjoy would be more or less out. It would have to be; how could such a situation be tolerated within a single system (at least, a democratic one)?

Laughing
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 pm

^ at least we now know why David was asking about joining the Freemasons Shocked Very Happy

Either that or the bath water is being drunk on a regular basis Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:37 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
But why do we need to 'fix' the top end? From the perspective of a clothing factory worker in Bangladesh you or David's financial position are as far away as Donald Trump or Malcolm Turnbull are from you. Unless you're willing to halve your wealth to lift that textiles worker up, then why should you expect a billionaire to do it for you (other than the obvious envy that drives these discussions).

If wealth was redistributed evenly around the world at this exact moment then everybody's net worth would be around $9000, how is that a possibly a good thing? If it's not a good idea to steal your wealth then why is it a good idea to steal someone's who simply has more?

It's a fair question, and we should indeed ask ourselves if we can justify living in a world with such vast disparities in standard of living. If it weren't for national borders, we would undoubtedly have to give up a great deal of our comfort and possessions so that the global poor could have better lives. It's a scary thought, and it should be.

There is nothing just about the fact that there is such surplus wealth in this country while people across the world are denied access to clean drinking water; good government management has precious little to do with it. We're like the aristocrats of Old Europe living in country manors while the plebs starve, essentially. That situation can't last forever.

Yep, them pesky national boundaries are at fault. Rolling Eyes

FMD you can talk some bullshit.

national boundaries are obviously what keeps tens or hundreds of millions of Indians in abject poverty or working as servants for the Indian middle class in a country with a multitude of billionaires.

How bout good old communist (coff) China, with a metric fuckload of seriously wealthy people, a growing middle class, a government building cities that no one lives in and hundreds of millions of people living hand to mouth.

You want to argue disparity in standards of living, have a look at some of those countries governments.

Zimbabwe has really kicked on since they booted out the white fellas and redistributed all that wealth, hasn't it? 1% of the country would be living the high life while the rest starve.

We're like the aristocrats of old Europe? Really? FMD I must have misplaced my servants again. JEEVES, JEEVES, GET IN HERE.

I'll try to remember I'm a European Aristcrat on Monday when I go back to work. I'm sure that'll make the 11 hour days (inc travel) much more enjoyable, and knowing I have so much surplus wealth, wow.

Rolling Eyes God I thought you were smarter than to peddle such idealistic garbage.

You're on drugs. Or you should be on drugs.

Every individual country in the world has different levels of wealth within it and you think that would be miraculously solved by having one big world government?

Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

It tastes like utter rubbish and it sure as hell ain't any form of science, science is fact based.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:13 pm

^ David, we're nothing like European aristocrats. They lived by owning the land that the others farmed, and there was a direct transfer from their tenant farmers (who did the work) to the men in the mansions (who lived off them).

In fact we have little control or over the way people live in other countries. The majority of poverty and disadvantage in the world is a product of lousy government and cultural mores that do not promote economic development. Thankfully, slowly, large parts of the world are getting better in this regard - notably in SE Asia, but also in parts of Africa. The result is that jobs are moving from the West to those places. That transfer through trade is the source of wealth to developing nations.

Those who hate Capitalism have to wrestle with the fact that it is lifting an enormous number of people out of poverty now. It's not foreign aid that does it. It's trade plus decent government. The advocates of more government intervention are more likely to cause or prolong poverty than solve it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:20 am

^David, I think that part is right enough. But the key here is to avoid these terms like capitalism and communism. They really don't capture anything realistic, and brush over a whole host of potentially useful variations and strategies.

In fact, "strategies" is the much more productive mindset because it is focused on fixes without the ideological connotations. It is every bit as much a grand delusion to think that declining living standards will end up good for anyone, as it is to think the wealth gap can be wound in endlessly.

Things can be left run here, and wound in there; the point being maintaining a healthy mindset and a productive direction for the times.

Currently under external competitive challenge, and leaky revenues due to global mobility and political capture, both sides of politics are offering nothing. In this vacuum of idea and policy leadership, hysterical nonsense from Muslim panic to Trump takes over as a distraction to the real economic task confronting developed nations.

Continuing on with what are childish, discredited and plain inaccurate Cold War left/right language won't do. But that's all the twits in office know, Mal being one of the very few not inculcated with that rubbish, which is why I like him. His vocabulary shows the capability for a more complex dialogue, but there's no one else there to give him the content and platform to work with.

Above all, developed economies are out of ideas; as if everyone's brains stopped working at the end of the Cold War because some imaginary pinnacle had been reached.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:55 am

^ Sssshh.. rebranding at work. If was on the Left, I'd want to abolish the old ideological categories because they represent the brand collapse of the Left's statist project. The Left's historic project failed, but the core Leftist demand for ever-increasing government direction of the economy remains in business, as a few minutes of VPT reading demonstrate.

That is something like a petty aristocracy - taxes compelled from the people to feed the technocrats and their organisations, from Australia to the EU. It is always noteworthy that the technocrats have better pensions and usually higher wages than they could command in a competitive market. It's what they do for a living.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:45 am

^Well, yes, trying to help the Left and have been for years now, dumb arses. I also spent many years trying to help the idiot right churches frame their religion more productively, too. Next for detached and aloof business, I guess, if I can wade through the cadres of musty Cold War minions who haven't learned anything new since 1967.

David, you have to take those ideas and frame them usefully in the working world. The simplest example at the moment is the climate change/air and ground pollution/respiratory illness/vile living conditions nexus, and economic modernisation. As you know, I also put terrorism clearly in that group, but even I know that bit is too far as a popular plank because it's not intuitive enoughthough plenty of respectable people, such as an Elon Musk in business and tech, get it.

In the same way, climate change is obviously a potential disaster, and species extinction is without question a silent horror, but they're also difficult to grasp intuitively. Alternative energy and pollution work as themes for everyone, and will get the support of an Asian population suffering under their weight in the process (energy as a regional economic constraint; pollution as a health and quality of life issue).

So, there's plenty to work with right there without reinventing political conceptions in a beige cardigan, outside-in, reminisce on May '68, movement.

At the same time, Mugwump, if people think a Tony Abbott or a George Bush isn't both dangerously incompetent and dangerously ideological, or the US right is not a flying fruitbat factory, or Balloonhead and Count Clueless have any insight to offer the UK and wider world beyond a laughable, evangelical prayer meet combination of VAT rises and EU chest beating, they're clearly not ready to embrace the future, either.

The world is infinitely more complex than the tiny, narrow learnings and dated Cold Warrior mindsets of both groups concerned.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:48 am

The whole world?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:55 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Well, yes, trying to help the Left and have been for years now, dumb arses. I also spent many years trying to help the idiot right churches frame their religion more productively, too. Next for detached and aloof business, I guess, if I can wade through the cadres of musty Cold War minions who haven't learned anything new since 1967.

David, you have to take those ideas and frame them usefully in the working world. The simplest example at the moment is the climate change/air and ground pollution/respiratory illness/vile living conditions nexus, and economic modernisation. As you know, I also put terrorism clearly in that group, but even I know that bit is too far as a popular plank because it's not intuitive enoughthough plenty of respectable people, such as an Elon Musk in business and tech, get it.

In the same way, climate change is obviously a potential disaster, and species extinction is without question a silent horror, but they're also difficult to grasp intuitively. Alternative energy and pollution work as themes for everyone, and will get the support of an Asian population suffering under their weight in the process (energy as a regional economic constraint; pollution as a health and quality of life issue).

So, there's plenty to work with right there without reinventing political conceptions in a beige cardigan, outside-in, reminisce on May '68, movement.

At the same time, Mugwump, if people think a Tony Abbott or a George Bush isn't both dangerously incompetent and dangerously ideological, or the US right is not a flying fruitbat factory, or Balloonhead and Count Clueless have any insight to offer the UK and wider world beyond a laughable, evangelical prayer meet combination of VAT rises and EU chest beating, they're clearly not ready to embrace the future, either.

The world is infinitely more complex than the tiny, narrow learnings and dated Cold Warrior mindsets of both groups concerned.

That'll be the Tony Abbott rejected by his own party (just ahead of the electorate), and the George Bush who was confined to two terms and would never have achieved re-election ? Who was then succeeded by a Democratic President with a very different policy ? Seriously, you talk about Bush and Abbott as though they are permanent features. They had their tilt at history and tested their theories in the democratic marketplace. They lost. Democracies learn. The Left, old or new, with its shape-shifting insistence on its failed statist project, does not.

As for business being aloof, well, no doubt some are. But they are more at the mercy of events and their customers than the bureaucratic technocrats of the public sector, fed by compulsory taxation.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:13 am

^Yes, that ousting of Abbott was an affirming win for sanitybut let's not forget it was a Westminster thing; consider the large percentage of idiots who voted for him and would've again, much like the ones who voted for Bush twice!

On the US right generally, you're surely joking, aren't you? Have you seen the Republican freak show over the last 15 years? They make the institutional shell of emptiness which is Hillary Clinton seem substantial!

And beyond Turnbull and Penny Wong, Australia has about as much political leadership talent as a bone Jeremy Corbyn cable-knit cardigan.

It's an horrific spread of political options across Oz, the UK and US. (South Korea is as bad, but in quite a different historical context).

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:18 am

Oops. Too much data.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:58 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Yes, that ousting of Abbott was an affirming win for sanitybut let's not forget it was a Westminster thing; consider the large percentage of idiots who voted for him and would've again, much like the ones who voted for Bush twice!

On the US right generally, you're surely joking, aren't you? Have you seen the Republican freak show over the last 15 years? They make the institutional shell of emptiness which is Hillary Clinton seem substantial!

And beyond Turnbull and Penny Wong, Australia has about as much political leadership talent as a bone Jeremy Corbyn cable-knit cardigan.

It's an horrific spread of political options across Oz, the UK and US. (South Korea is as bad, but in quite a different historical context).

Agree the US looks pretty barren. I think Obama has done a fine job, but there seems little of substance coming to replace him. And I'm not going to defend the US republicans, I wouldn't vote for them if I was having a heart attack and they were offering free defibrillators. I don't like the dynastic implication of another Clinton, but she's a bright lady, experienced, and probably a safe pair of hands. The US could do much worse than Hillary.

I have less clear views about Australia as I don't see the cut and thrust. Turnbull seems sensible enough, though whether he has a real vision remains to be seen, let alone whether he can execute it. Wong also seems sensible, though I do not like her politics. I think she lacks real charisma, though. Her nonsense about the coffee table incident reduced her stature in my eyes.

In Britain, I think Cameron's the best PM we have had since Thatcher, and Osborne one of the better Chancellors. They inherited a hell of a mess in 2010, and they have gone a long way to steadying the ship. Corbyn, of course, is a laughing stock.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

You're on drugs. Or you should be on drugs.

Every individual country in the world has different levels of wealth within it and you think that would be miraculously solved by having one big world government?

Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes

It tastes like utter rubbish and it sure as hell ain't any form of science, science is fact based.

I obviously don't believe we'd have total equality and at any rate never said that. The point I'm making is that the current global wealth disparity would be untenable in a unified democratic system. Think about it: if you're living in a slum in Bangladesh, are you going to vote for the guy who keeps you where you are while people in Australia continue to live like kings? Or are you going to support some serious wealth redistribution that will at least guarantee bread on your table every day?

I'm not saying this because I necessarily support the idea of getting rid of borders. But as a purely factual observation, I don't think the current inequality can survive an increasingly globalised and interdependent world.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:29 pm

India is a democracy. The poverty stricken far outweigh the wealthy in numbers yet they haven't managed to vote for massive wealth distribution, have they?

The people in Frankston can vote, and they may want to have the lifestyle and money of the Toorak and Sth Yarra populace, but it aint gonna happen.

Think about your little fantasy a bit more deeply. Say it was a whole world government with locally elected members yo a central parliament. The bangladeshis may want to vote for a local member who promises to divide up Australia's wealth for them, assuming any party would run such a candidate, then if that person gets elected they are but one person in an overall parliament. You reckon any party with a platform of wealth redistribution would actually get elected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: