Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The politics of housing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If either of them come up with an original idea on tax reform I'll fall over with shock.

If Shorten has an original idea period I'll be stunned. Razz Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
That's nice of Bill, Big Mal had already said they were looking at something too.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/negative-gearing-next-tax-target-for-turnbull-government/news-story/d54e19669334d88f89254511f8c10397

Haha, really? Ah well, nobody ever accused Shorten of being prone to having original ideas. Laughing

Seriously, though, I've heard of the Liberal Party 'looking at' progressive tax reform before. Joe Hockey was 'looking at' multinational tax avoidance, and we all know how well that worked out...

Excellent news. Housing is vital to the prospects of the young, who already face real economic hardship via the national debt we are leaving them to service, university fees, and absurd housing prices.

This is good policy which would provide an incentive for newbuilds via the tax system so that you actually expand the housing stock and let rentier landlords pay normal taxes, plus CGT. House prices should fall, which would make a great contribution to reducing inequality, all the while improving the public finances overall with almost no ill effects (except perhaps for stamp duty revenues). Sanity might yet prevail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: