Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Mick Book

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Millane42 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 pm
Post subject: Mighty Mick BookReply with quote

Finally got a chance to loan from the local Library the Mighty Mick book (Hey Micky your so fine your so fine you blow my mind hey micky!).

Geez - it was a high level, skim over the finer details, quite impersonal given it was written by his daughter, in parts interesting but in the whole underwhelming read imo.

Glad I and many other pies fans didn't bother buying. Only 1 page at the start mentioned he was taking the carlton job, but probably killed the majority of sales when he did announce it.

The most interesting reveal was why he didn't stay at the club: Nathan didn't want him in the box on game day, and allegedly Eddie wanted him to be a coterie speaker on match day instead.

Nice paypacket if you could get I I say. I would easily have stayed on to mentor the coaches for another 3 years. Selfish!!

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

you clearly did not have ambitions to hold the record for the most games coached by any person EVER!

this was clearly Mick's goal. he played nice until he got the record and then figured out a way to get himself fired.

He is the all time longest serving coach! It is obvious his legacy is important to him.

I don't get why people are surprised.

I guess its the same people who cant understand why daisy would leave for millions of dollars after he found out his body was shot to pieces and Mick agreed to take care of him.

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Have they dedicated a chapter to the coaching masterstroke of playing Jason Cloke at full forward in a Grand Final??
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Gentlemen please!

I got the book for my birthday, and it whiled away many happy hours on the plane and the train...

It makes me realise the singular ability of this club to shoot itself in the foot...

from Phil Carman to Tony Shaw.

Ever read big Al's footy book, or Brian Taylor's? You see behind the curtain and tear your hair out!

Does the phrase "he was desperate to come to Collingwood" not mean anything?

give Mick his due (and Eddie and Buckley) They got us a premiership. Remember how crap we felt in 1989 or 1999? Would the slump ever end?

Also remember that he lost us 3 grand finals, all of which were gettable. I don't know how the future will go, but as Santa told me:

"You ask a lot, but don't give up hope!"
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Thought 1989 was a pretty good year. Up and comming young side, Knocked off Hawthorn in round 1. And although getting knocked out in the first week of the finals we had a team that had been together for a while through the u19's with the addition of some quality interstate players. No comparison between between 1999 where we finished last , closed vic park and didn't get Pavlich.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 am

regan is true fullback wrote:
Gentlemen please!

I got the book for my birthday, and it whiled away many happy hours on the plane and the train...

It makes me realise the singular ability of this club to shoot itself in the foot...

Ever read big Al's footy book, or Brian Taylor's? You see behind the curtain and tear your hair out!

give Mick his due (and Eddie and Buckley) They got us a premiership. Remember how crap we felt in 1989 or 1999? Would the slump ever end?

Also remember that he lost us 3 grand finals, all of which were gettable. I don't know how the future will go, but as Santa told me:

Hahahahaha did you ever get ya bike!

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:37 am

1989 grand was the last time we were on the outside looking in, like a hungry dog at the butchers shop, or Footscray.

After 1990, the 3 losing grand finals were tolerable, because I could always shove 1990 in the VCR.

1999 was the pits, because the club was like Jimmy Barnes:
"going nowhere and I'm in a hurry"

As for Santa, I asked him one year and he said "no mate, Essendon!"
2010 he finally came through.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:18 am

Gentlemen please!

I've been trying to track down a copy of BTs biography, with no success; anyone know where I can get a copy?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Big Als book is one of the greatest insights into our club ever written.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:32 pm

makri wrote:
Have they dedicated a chapter to the coaching masterstroke of playing Jason Cloke at full forward in a Grand Final??

Or how Dunderklumpen Walker got a game over McKee; the player we had to have SO BAD in 2000, that we gave up pick 3 [Pavlich] for?

Or how Squib coward Cole got a game over Glen Freeborn, and Betheras, who were rock solid in the 2002GF?

Jesus, if Rocca had played, at least we could have lost 2003 with some dignity, Black still would have raped us from the centre...

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:05 am

[quote="piedys"]
makri wrote:

Or how Dunderklumpen Walker got a game over McKee; the player we had to have SO BAD in 2000, that we gave up pick 3 [Pavlich] for?

Or how Squib coward Cole got a game over Glen Freeborn, and Betheras, who were rock solid in the 2002GF?

Laughing squib Cole!

www.facebook/the hybernators
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Did Betheras have a crack at Christy or something??
Went from an automatic selection and solid finals performer to reserves player and delisted, very quickly....

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm

3rd degree wrote:
piedys wrote:

Laughing squib Cole!

Yep, Most cowardly sidestep i've ever seen in a football match in my life.
Hated his GUTS since that moment. Drafting this flog cost us Dal Santo.

King Monkey wrote:
Went from an automatic selection and solid finals performer to reserves player and delisted, very quickly....

Honestly, i've never heard any rumours or malice against Betheras, so it remains a mystery to us all, AND another Malthouse FAIL.
Anybody else care to speculate?

Dyso

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:32 pm

piedys wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

Honestly, i've never heard any rumours or malice against Betheras, so it remains a mystery to us all, AND another Malthouse FAIL.
Anybody else care to speculate?

Dyso

Thought the story went that Malthouse told him that it was the painting or the football, Rupe wouldn't give up the painting so Malt removed him from the football...?

On topic, I've never forgotten Malthouse giving Scotland his marching orders (rumoured to have stamped his papers after Scotland called out Maddie's poor coaching in the 03 GF). Nor have I forgotten Judkins' blowing of the pick we got for Scotland (not the worst of Judkins' sins, but a sin nonetheless)...
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 am

Betheras, Lokan and McGough were 3 that just sort of turned up, did well , then fizzed out. Not sure whether Sort of like aliens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: