Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Japan to close humanities departments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Haha. Yes, a slight difference there, one might have thought. Mr. Green Think The Age (back when it was still worth reading) vs The Herald Sun and you're halfway there.

Hope you have a good time in New York. Just remember that much of the content of the museums you visit will have been found, curated, analysed and written about by people with humanities backgrounds. To continue the line of argument in the article I posted, there's no point digging up a bit of ancient crockery if you don't know what it means or why it's important.

(Best wishes, David, national segue champion 2016. Laughing)

hmm, well i know why the stuff at the 9/11 museum is important, and ive watched all three night at the museums more than once, and ive seen about a billion yank war/space movies to appreciate the aerospace one! ill keep you on speed dial in case i need some help!!

that crockery will have my eyes rolling back in my head faster than Chris Rock spews out white hate jokes!

(did you get a statuete??)

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:08 pm

No, unfortunately! I'll just have to be content with knowing I'm the winner. Wink

(BTW, not touching the 'white hate' remark. Even I couldn't segue us out of that one...)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:57 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
A welcome defence of the humanities from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/opinion/dont-turn-away-from-the-art-of-life.html

Quote:
The regime of information may well sport its specific truths, but it is locked out of the associations — subjective but also moral and philosophical — that bathe all literature. A new technology like GPS provides us with the most efficient and direct route to a destination, but it presupposes we know where we are going. Finding an address is one thing; finding one’s way in life is another. Even our smartest computers or most brilliant statisticians are at a loss when it comes to mapping our psychic landscapes.

He, funny you quote the New York post. I'm trying to work out how many days I need there, people keep telling me more more more, I'm looking at the guide book and their is 50 million museums! The museum of skyscrapers, the museum of sex, museum of American finance, Jewish children's museum, the new museum! the museum of everything under the sun! I'll go to three, the one in the movie a night at the museum - the American museum of natural history (those dinosaurs look so cool!ill be disappointed when they don't play fetch I'm sure!) the aerospace one with the battleship, space shuttle, submarine etc,- the intrepid air sea and space museum, and the 9/11 one!

Depending on time might go to the one in philidelphia so I can run up the rocky steps.
Maybe the Smithsonian in Washington if we have time, and there is a walking dead museum in Atlanta I hope to get to.

"Don't dead, open inside!"

Don't run up the Rocky steps unless someone is filming it. With your coordination, you're likely to miss one, fall up 6 and barrel roll back down the rest and I want to see that on video. Mr. Green

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Which one is that?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:18 pm

David wrote:
Haha. Yes, a slight difference there, one might have thought. Mr. Green Think The Age (back when it was still worth reading) vs The Herald Sun and you're halfway there.

Let me know when the Guardian becomes Worth reading. Razz Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
A welcome defence of the humanities from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/opinion/dont-turn-away-from-the-art-of-life.html

Quote:
The regime of information may well sport its specific truths, but it is locked out of the associations — subjective but also moral and philosophical — that bathe all literature. A new technology like GPS provides us with the most efficient and direct route to a destination, but it presupposes we know where we are going. Finding an address is one thing; finding one’s way in life is another. Even our smartest computers or most brilliant statisticians are at a loss when it comes to mapping our psychic landscapes.

He, funny you quote the New York post. I'm trying to work out how many days I need there, people keep telling me more more more, I'm looking at the guide book and their is 50 million museums! The museum of skyscrapers, the museum of sex, museum of American finance, Jewish children's museum, the new museum! the museum of everything under the sun! I'll go to three, the one in the movie a night at the museum - the American museum of natural history (those dinosaurs look so cool!ill be disappointed when they don't play fetch I'm sure!) the aerospace one with the battleship, space shuttle, submarine etc,- the intrepid air sea and space museum, and the 9/11 one!

Depending on time might go to the one in philidelphia so I can run up the rocky steps.
Maybe the Smithsonian in Washington if we have time, and there is a walking dead museum in Atlanta I hope to get to.

"Don't dead, open inside!"

Don't run up the Rocky steps unless someone is filming it. With your coordination, you're likely to miss one, fall up 6 and barrel roll back down the rest and I want to see that on video. Mr. Green

Jahahahaahahaha I resemble that remark!
Of course I'll get junior to film it, nothing like a good Darwin awards moment!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: