Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report No.3 (2015/16)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:07 pm
Post subject: Training Report No.3 (2015/16)Reply with quote

Wednesday Open Training
December 9th, 2015
Weather: Fine and mild 21

Punt Rd was such a disaster area at 7:30 that I couldnt even get onto the Clifton Hill down-ramp. We decided to drive via Smith St and then to Landsdowne St and around the MCG. This was a smart move. We arrived at the Collingwood Centre at 8:00am and could have opted to park out front. As its a 15 minute zone, decided to be conservative and parked by the river instead.

Inside the Glasshouse Eatery (why such an appalling name?), we joined Ben Reid and Tay Adams who were ordering coffee and Derek Hine and Neil Balme who were having breakfast.

It was a very leisurely breakfast as the first player to appear on the track was Jeremy Howe at 9:35. He was joined by new boy Josh Smith, who began running work with a trainer. I like this boys attitude. He led the time trial last week and is always early onto the track. A good attitude can take a young footballer far. You may remember that I suggested he had tweaked his hammy last week and this appears to be correct. But its just a tweak. He was put through his paces by the trainer and after 20 minutes of 50 metre jogs, then runs and then sprints, he joined the main group of players.

Not Training:
Darcy Moore, Levi Greenwood, Matt Sharenberg

Modified Training:
Treloar, Swan, Sinclair, Blair, Reid, Marsh, Frost, Goldsack.

Swan, Sinclair, Blair, Reid and Marsh all began the session. They all did general stretching and then ran/jogged a few laps with the main group.

Goldsack appeared at about 10:30 and ran laps.

Greenwood left the track early and re-emerged about an hour later with Darcy Moore. They walked laps. It seems Greenwood did something early on in the session, but I couldnt tell what the injury was.

Swan, Sinclair and Blair left the track after the warm ups and went inside.

Reid, and Marsh did some ball work and running drills and then retreated to the AAMI side of the ground with a trainer, where they did supervised running. Later Josh Smith joined them.

Players were called over to be introduced to a group of men and a woman. All the players enthusiastically applauded these people who Im guessing are sponsors.

Players then walk/jog a lap whilst Bucks talks to the unknown group. Bucks then recognises a bloke on the fence and comes over to have a chat. I try not to look too obvious as I shuffle closer, but Bucks is a very careful low talker. I did hear him say that there was a young lad training from the Canberra IOS. Wed wondered who this shorter version of Lachie Keeffe was. The boy did very well actually.

Frost appears to be developing a Mohawk-style hair cut. There is a wide strip across the top of his head to about half way to his neck, where it squares off. I asked a photographer to zoom in to verify this and yes, he agreed. Its the first interesting cut of the summer, as Adam Treloar has gone very conservative and Darcy Moore and Broomhead are sporting short cuts.

Applause breaks out from supporters near the entrance door at about 10 am. Matty Sharenberg appears on crutches with an intricately bandaged right knee. Matty watches the entire session with a minder.

Nice to see Clinton Young make an appearance too. He observed training for a while and spoke with staff. I wonder if hell play VFL? Can anybody offer up any info here?

In the early drills, which feature running and ball carrying with quick changes of direction, Sidebottom stood out.

Players then broke up into 4 groups around the ground. The drill here is a keepings off type activity, where Team Black players kick to each other, as Team White tries to win possession.

I paid close attention here to new boys Ben Crocker and Brayden Sier. It seems these boys can both kick very well indeed. More on that later.

At this point James Aish removes himself from the drill and comes over to the boundary for treatment on the lower body/upper leg region. Lots of conversation ensues with plenty of stretching and probing. Aish then changes from his boots into his trainers and spends the next 20 minutes talking to Matty Sharenberg. It could be a groin injury or some upper leg problem, but I doubt its major.

Now two groups are formed. One is led by Matt Rendell and the other by Anthony Rocca. In both groups the ball is kicked high to competing ruckmen who try to get the ball to their respective rovers. Group 1 sees Grundy Vs Wyatt, the new rookie basketballer. Grundy works it to Tay Adams. Wyatt tries to get it to Crisp. Grundy wins most of these duals. There is some very clean movement into the forward line from these drills. Sidebottom seems to have the ball on a string this morning. None of those trade-mark dinky kicks today. Hes hitting Faz on the chest every time.

At the other end, Group 2 sees Witts vs Corey Gault. I really like what Ive seen of Witts this pre-season. Hes very involved and moving very well. Grundy on the other hand seems to be a bit lack-lustre and slow.

Pendlebury leaves the main action now and moves over to the AAMI side to do running drills with Reid.

A man beside me observes that De Goey must have had a late night; hes yawning his way through training he says.

Nice work now by Grundy who finds Macaffer to Crisp who hits Faz on the chest. Faz shoots for goal and nails it. That was a beautiful piece of work all round. Faz loves training today; he leads and receives it lace out each time. I notice Varcoe go over to Sier and explain where to run during this drill. It seems Varcoe has said, Stay with me. Sier does. Who is the smoothest mover in this duo?

Now the players break into four groups. They eventually rotate through 4 activities. I will report on two. At the Yarra end a group of players do goal kicking. They start on the Glasshouse side and move inboard and eventually arrive at the pocket on the AAMI side. Two players stand out in this drill; both are newbies. Tom Phillips and Ben Crocker are enjoying themselves immensely. Crocker loves a goal and kicked plenty. A smooth mover, this boy is a nice user of the ball and loves getting a shot! I found him with fists raised over his head a number of times as he celebrated a goal. Look out Faz!

Tom Phillips is also an eye catcher. He is beautifully balanced with ball in hand and kicks goals from all angles in this drill.

Another drill had me fascinated. This activity saw two squares created from 4 small witches cones. The mini-cones were orange, green, yellow and blue. A player stood in the centre of each small square facing a coach. The coach then called colours and the players had to move to the cone called and step around it and then to the next cone. It required nimble footwork and then a turn to kick the ball at a standing net target. Would anybody hit the target? Not in the first group for a while! Crisp and Sidey stand side by side, but both miss.

Now Sier and Crisp get a turn. No dice. Varcoe & Goodyear both miss by miles. Bullseye! Macaffer! Now Varcoe gets a bullseye. Crisp follows suit. Now Crisp again! Brayden Sier, the baby in this group, hits the edge and whilst he doesnt net the ball, was never far off.

I love this drill because it simulates match conditions where players need to dodge opponents with agility and then turn on a sixpence, steady and deliver with accuracy.

Now the groups rotate and a new group arrives at the cones. This will be interesting, Crocker is opposed to Phillips. Crocker gets the bullseye. A few duos follow but all miss. Now Crocker & Phillips come back and Crocker does it again! Can he get a hat trick? No, he misses narrowly, but Im impressed enough to declare him the winner in this drill.

I had to leave at this stage (11:15), but dont think any match work would have been done after this time, but I stand to be corrected. Went in to the offices to renew my membership. Liked the new Anzac Deal; a seat on Anzac Day and two other home game general admissions for $140. Was disappointed to learn that seating was on level four. Still, for someone who works weekends as I do, this might be persuasive.

Injuries:
Levi Greenwood unknown. Severity slight.
James Aish Groin? Severity slight.

Player Watch: Ben Crocker
Whippet like physique. Very enthusiastic trainer. Loves a goal and is an accurate user. Another fine mover. Its almost as if our recruiters have gone out and looked for beautifully balanced, accurate kicking young athletes. Love his enthusiasm and suspect this will carry over to leadership potential.

Player Watch: Brayden Sier.
If training were a yearling auction, youd buy this colt. Cant help it folks, theres just so much to like. Once he looses the puppy fat and develops that engine, this is going to be a player you love to watch. All the mechanics are there. Can he play? Dunno. I guess well get a better idea after Christmas when full scale match training begins.

Player Watch: Tom Phillips.
Hard worker on the track and aggressive at the ball. A smooth mover and from what I saw, an accurate kick. Loves the snap over the shoulder a la Fasolo. Theres also a bit of flash about him. Good hands too. Suspect he will surprise by doing the unexpected.

Player Watch: Rupert Wills.
Worked hard today and seems to be a popular team member. Every time he got the ball there were screams of Rup, Rupe, Rupe. Hes not a Rolls Royce like Sier or slick like Crocker and Phillips, but he looks a steady, solid, unfussed type. Didnt waste the ball.

Training again on Friday I believe.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta for that Neil, great detail as usual.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:42 pm

i ve been hanging out to read the latest on the pies as theres been next to nothing for the last couple of days. so thank you for going out of your way to settle the inquisitive neil.

question for you neil. how does this year at this stage compare to last year at this stage seem to you. are the lads cleaner with ball in hand? fitter? bigger? and do they pace themselves throughout the sessions wit5h another pre season to endure?

MagpieAnge 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Excellent, thanks a lot.

Did Josh Smith join in the kicking drills? If so, how did he go?
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Cheers Neil, your reports are always a good read.

On Clinton Young, I believe he is playing country footy this year, not VFL.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:46 pm
Post subject: Re: Training Report No.3 (2015/16)Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
Nice to see Clinton Young make an appearance too. He observed training for a while and spoke with staff. I wonder if hell play VFL? Can anybody offer up any info here?

Has signed with his old junior club Minyip-Murtoa. Was probably just in the neighbourhood.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Was Not Training There or Just not there?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Champion report Neil. Do me a favour: stick this syringe in your arm please and fill it up. Your blood's worth bottling!
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks Neil, always appreciated.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks ... hanging out for pre-season games.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:37 pm

Great read before bedtime Neil. Thanking you.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:48 am

simon tonna wrote:
i ve been hanging out to read the latest on the pies as theres been next to nothing for the last couple of days. so thank you for going out of your way to settle the inquisitive neil.

question for you neil. how does this year at this stage compare to last year at this stage seem to you. are the lads cleaner with ball in hand? fitter? bigger? and do they pace themselves throughout the sessions wit5h another pre season to endure?

From a medical point of view we appear to be in better shape. There are a few boys on modified programmes after surgery, but only Sharenberg is long term. Last year there were players recovering from surgery (Cloke, Elliott, Pendles) but also quite a few non trainers if I remember accurately. The thing I've noticed this summer is the development. Last year I suggested Crisp looked OK and that Ramsay, De Goey and Moore looked good. This year these boys have another year under their belts and it already shows. Ramsay wasn't there today I've just realised. He's one I'm really looking forward to watching this summer.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:23 am

brilliant NA thank you
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:03 am

Great work as ever Neil.

Sounds like the skills under pressure require some work still, but the injury list, or lack thereof, is promising for this time of year.

Saffy 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:20 am

Thoroughly enjoy your reports Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: