Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Which AFL coach is under the most pressure?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 pm
Post subject: Which AFL coach is under the most pressure?Reply with quote

Very interesting article in the age.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/which-afl-coach-is-under-the-most-pressure-20151130-glbw3y.html
Robbie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 am
Post subject: The Press just HATE us.Reply with quote

This Gleeson character is typical of the hate the majority of Football journos have for anything to do with Collingwood. I would like to read about the housing for the homeless program, or the sporting programs for the underprivileged the Pies support, or any of the programs that this great club supports, and yet I am not surprised by this article trying to drive a wedge between Magpie supporters. This last ditch effort to place pressure on any contract extension offered to Bucks is indicative of their desperation at the thought of a successful Collingwood Football Club. They are pissed off the Magpies are financially secure since Eddie became President, because they believe he was just one of them, and they have not enjoyed the same success as Eddie. If they have to eat their words after a Bucks success then their bias might become obvious to all.

Our best response to this bullshit is to ignore these arseholes, and celebrate the steady progression of our Mighty Magpies under the watchful eyes of Bucks and Hine.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:48 am
Post subject: Re: The Press just HATE us.Reply with quote

Gleeson is a mad keen Magpie fan. He said nothing that hasn't been said on these boards except with more care and less venom. You are dead set wrong this time.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure builds diamonds…

No doubt Bucks is under pressure to get the Pies playing a full year of good footy. - he would want to be playing finals footy for sure!

I am not convinced a contract makes you safe and takes away the pressure so I will give my list regardless of the contract period for coaches.

Of course some of the really new coaches are safe for now - Such as (Pike)(Crows) or Bolton(Bloozers) or Worsfold (Bummers) regardless of the on-field success or looming failures Smile

I think a poor year from Lyon (Freo) and Longmire (Swans) or Hardwick (Tigers) will have them under the pump - might be time for a semi re-build and get a new face in there for 2017? while there is still sniff- particularly Freo because Lyon has never won a flag and has become a big tease with a possibly defunct overly defensive game plan. All three should be safe for this year… however the pressure is mounting and the finals results for 2016 will have a big bearing on their future.

Richo (saints) Beverige (Dogs) and Cameron (Giants) seems safe with young teams heading in the right direction - Bux could/should be in this group however the Pies list seems better and therefore the pressure is on Bux to get the pies to the finals is higher than the other 'up and comer's' - a step backwards for any of these teams will make it tough for the coach by the end of the year. Should all be OK for 2016 though - this is possibly the top4 for 2017 and beyond really!

Scott brothers (Cats and Roos) have lists that are pushing for a top4 spots and at the minimum possibly finals footy - can't see them going this year - it would have to be a shocker of a year for the club to look elsewhere so they are good for 2016 at least.

Roos (Dreamons) and Hinkley (Port) are both respected coaches and could keep there jobs without lighting the world on fire - some improvement would be required from last year and a good start would be important for both coaches - I would suggest their reputations will carry them through even an average year so they are probably good for 2016.

Clarkson (Hawks) and Simpson (Weagles) have just played off in the GF so they are fine in 2016 no matter what happens to the team - even missing finals would see them stay if they want…

Which leads me to the 2 coaches who I think are most in trouble for next year - Eade (Suns) and Leppitsch (Lions) … Suns were well under last year and Eade was given a years grace to blame the previous coaches and culture etc but that will not cut it in 2016 - suns will need to be pushing finals for Eade to be safe - another poor year will seem him go - whatever the contract situation might be… and the Lions are a young team with a big question mark over their heads - a poor start to the year will probably see heads roll - too many big old egos around the club - like Matthews to allow the rot to fester without some action.

So that's my pressure picks - the coaches from Queensland are IMO most likely to get the flick and can probably sense the squeeze of the noose around their necks already…

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:48 am

Contracts mean nothing, repeat nothing, repeat nothing at all. When was the last time you heard of an unwanted coach reaching the end of his contract and being replaced by a new coach the following season as per schedule? It never happens.

In trying to predict coaching tenure, the one thing you can absolutely ignore with 100% safety is the contract status.

How long has the turkey writing the article been watching footy for? Does he still not know this?

BTW: Buckley isn't under pressure. He has the full suport of the club, and of all but a few sad-case deluded supporters. But that healthy situation could change almost overnight given the right (wrong!) sort of on-field disaster. A third mid-year fade-out would see heads roll and blood on the carpet. But it won't happen. As yin-YANG says, Lyon, Longmire, and Hardwick are in similar situations, Lyon is looking down the barrel of disaster with his ageing list. Why didn't he jump ship to a club that isn't hopelessly rooted and has some future? That's what he usually does after he's worn out a nearly-good-enough list not quite winning premierships.

The one to watch is Eade.

Eade walked into an almost successful club with a very bright future and effing wrecked it. He turned Gold Coast into a rotting, putrid basket case. If he can't get some good wins out of them in the first half of the season, he's history.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:57 am

Agree with the last two posters. Eade is likely to be the first coach sacked if the Suns don't turn it around. Otherwise I agree with the article that Buckley and Leppitsch are under the pump. Could throw in Leon Cameron if the Giants don't progress as expected.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:40 am
Post subject: Re: Which AFL coach is under the most pressure?Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/which-afl-coach-is-under-the-most-pressure-20151130-glbw3y.html

Bucks 'leads' the poll with 44% Shocked

Every single coach is under pressure. Like Tannin said, contracts aren't worth a zac. Arrow

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 am
Post subject: Re: The Press just HATE us.Reply with quote

Robbie wrote:
Our best response to this bullshit is to ignore these arseholes, and celebrate the steady progression of our Mighty Magpies under the watchful eyes of Bucks and Hine.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

The media can write anything, quote anyone and blame everyone but the people I trust most are never them but the good people at the Collingwood Football Club. End of story for me.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am

Not sure that contract status is necessarily a predictor of pressure a coach might be under. Think they'd all be feeling the pressure, it's a tough gig.

Just another media fluff piece.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:31 am

Tannin wrote:
Contracts mean nothing, repeat nothing, repeat nothing at all. When was the last time you heard of an unwanted coach reaching the end of his contract and being replaced by a new coach the following season as per schedule? It never happens.

Tony Shaw springs to mind.

I agree with the sentiment though. Most unwanted coaches are shown the door early while the most pliable assistant takes his place as caretaker. The caretaker usually then fails to get the gig the following year.

I reckon Lyon will be the smokey to go. Whether he is pushed or he goes to another club on the up is anyone's guess but Freo is starting to show the sorts of signs that the Saints were after Rosco was finished with them.

Well... kinda... I mean there's no school girl scandal and to our knowledge (and enduring relief), Zac's been kept away from the camera this time. But the squad that got Freo to the top is starting to look old and their style isn't one to keep players fresh. Perhaps if Rocket gets the arse, Lyon will head up there and try to take another exciting up and coming team and bore them to a flag.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Easily has to be Leppa. 2nd Last and Players still Walking out of the CLUB
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Tannin wrote:

In trying to predict coaching tenure, the one thing you can absolutely ignore with 100% safety is the contract status.

How long has the turkey writing the article been watching footy for? Does he still not know this?

BTW: Buckley isn't under pressure. He has the full suport of the club, and of all but a few sad-case deluded supporters. But that healthy situation could change almost overnight given the right (wrong!) sort of on-field disaster. A third mid-year fade-out would see heads roll and blood on the carpet. But it won't happen. As yin-YANG says, Lyon, Longmire, and Hardwick are in similar situations, Lyon is looking down the barrel of disaster with his ageing list. Why didn't he jump ship to a club that isn't hopelessly rooted and has some future? That's what he usually does after he's worn out a nearly-good-enough list not quite winning premierships.

The one to watch is Eade.

Eade walked into an almost successful club with a very bright future and effing wrecked it. He turned Gold Coast into a rotting, putrid basket case. If he can't get some good wins out of them in the first half of the season, he's history.

So we could keep missing Finals Year after Year and Bucks would not get Sacked because no one Hates Him?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Not quite, it depends on where we finish outside of the 8, I think anything under 10th for Buckley would be concerns for his job. As long as Buckley is meeting the club's requirements of progression he should be fine, however, a disastrous year and he could be out the door.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:39 pm
Post subject: Re: Which AFL coach is under the most pressure?Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Bucks 'leads' the poll with 44% Shocked

Every single coach is under pressure. Like Tannin said, contracts aren't worth a zac. Arrow

Must admit I was a little surprised that the 'poll' had Bucks 20 odd % in front of anyone else. I agree Eade will be under enormous pressure this year, as will Leppitsch. But we must be realistic, the truth is if it were not for the 'love' factor, Bucks would most likely already not have a job.

Most of you already know how I personally feel about the whole sad affair (or as Tannin so thoughtfully wrote 'sad-case deluded supporters'), but I've been trying to keep my mind as open as possible in the hope that one day in the near future... things will change, and they really do 'turn' the corner.

Anyway, as I said, I believe its a thoughtful and 'realistically' written article on the whole and its interesting to see what 'non' Collingwood people think about it too.

PS: Go Pies!!!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:37 pm

I don't think Bucks can survive another year of missing finals, I don't think we will miss finals next year though, but if we do I reckon he'll be replaced, contract or no contract.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: