Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Which AFL coach is under the most pressure?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange roughy for mine. Many players leaving, not a great media speaker, appears to lack innovation and one more thing, team he coaches just haven't won many games. Leigh Matthews won't tolerate "his" club being near the bottom much longer.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:45 pm

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
Orange roughy for mine. Many players leaving, not a great media speaker, appears to lack innovation and one more thing, team he coaches just haven't won many games. Leigh Matthews won't tolerate "his" club being near the bottom much longer.

I remember Aker saying publicly (whilst Voss was coach) that Red and Redder were best mates, and Redder (Big Sauce) dominated the relationship, didn't take long for him to stab his best mate in the back if true.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Leppa has had 2 years Buckley has had 4.

Leppa in his first year walked into a disaster area.
Brown and Black gone, and 70% of the kids with talent on the way out.

Bucks walked into a side who went (22-3) the year before.

Bucks is at a club trying to minimise its profits with everything imaginable available.

Leppa started with a board in turmoil, and the most debt ridden, loss making club since University.

Anyone who thinks Bucks deserves less pressure then Leppitch is arguably, and in my book undisputedly, as emotionally crippled as a stood-up bride on her wedding night.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:18 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
.and in my book undisputedly, as emotionally crippled as a stood-up bride on her wedding night.

Well you should know............... Rolling Eyes

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Lazza wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
.and in my book undisputedly, as emotionally crippled as a stood-up bride on her wedding night.

Well you should know............... Rolling Eyes

Im sorry Lazza u were so good to me, but I just couldn't go thru with it.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Buckley is out of contract but I suspect the club will re-sign him unless we decline substantially next year and show no signs of improving or heading in the right direction under him.

Naturally most supporters are expecting improvement and a push for the top 8 so the pressure is on Bucks but I think we have the team capable of doing it if we don't decline in the second half of the year again.

In regards to other coaches, Damien Hardwick has to be under plenty of pressure. He's been coaching Richmond since the start of 2010 and they still haven't won a final as he heads into his seventh season as coach. Richmond's age profile suggests they should be near the top now but frankly I think they're borderline top four but don't have the capability or ruthlessness to win a premiership so Hardwick's future will certainly be raised next year if Richmond choke again.

Justin Leppitsch is another one who needs to show something for Brisbane to retain him. Yes the excuses of talented young players leaving in big numbers will help his cause but the Lions look pitiful under him nevertheless. Rodney Eade will also need to show something with the Gold Coast despite the lack of scrutiny he's received so far.

Ken Hinkley is very likely to be safe but another bad year from Port Adelaide considering the talent they possess will see him under some pressure. Leon Cameron is another who could be under pressure if things go pear shaped with the Giants.

Another interesting one is Chris Scott. He's bought himself plenty of time due to his initial success with the Cats in 2011 but internally Geelong has very high expectations with the list overhaul they've had but I still think they'll struggle to play finals despite the changes they've made.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 am

We've had 4 coaches that I can remember in my life. (2 in my adult life).

I don't want to be one of those clubs that switches coaches over and over.

And honestly, all I can remember is "Sack Matthews, Sack Shaw, Sack Malthouse, Sack Buckley". Does it matter who is at the helm, as there's always a "Sack him" chant in the background.

I think Bucks is doing a good job. Sure we missed the last 2 finals, but the improvement in the players is there and as a team, we will push into the top 8 and hopefully top 4 in the next year or two.

If there was some kind of revolt against the coach, then sure he would be sacked. But I don't see any sign of that at the club. I just think replacing coach after coach doesn't get you anywhere.

Lets enjoy the ride in 2016. Oh and lets get Sidebottom signed up quickly as I'd rather the media be talking about Buckleys contract than Sidebottoms.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Safe New Coaches:
- Bolton
- Pyke
- Worsfold

Poor Win Percentage after 2 seasons:
- Leppitsch (7 wins in 2014 and 4 wins in 2015) - Threat
- Richardson (4 wins in 2014 and 6 wins in 2015)
- Cameron (6 wins in 2014 and 11 wins in 2015) - Safe

Pressure:
- Hardwick.. must win a final
- Eade - after 3 seasons out of the caper could be past it. Only 4 wins in 2015 much without their top 3 midfielders in Ablett (6 games), Prestia (8 games) and O'Meara (0 games).
- Buckley - internally I believe he has the support, but if the external pressure gets too much the club may have to make a change.
- Hinkley - 2 finals series in 8 years (13 wins in 2013, 16 wins in 2014 and 12 wins in 2015 plus 3 out of 5 finals wins).
- Chris Scott - Downward slide (19 wins in 2013, 17 wins in 2014, 11 wins in 2015) would not want to miss again in 2016.

----------
------------
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Media will be out to get Buckley like they did mick this year
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:30 pm

STOKA35 wrote:

Agree - We don't Perform and the Media will be out to get Bucks Sacked.

That is even after Re-Signing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 am

Dave The Man wrote:
STOKA35 wrote:

Agree - We don't Perform and the Media will be out to get Bucks Sacked.

That is even after Re-Signing

If Buckley doesn't perform (what are the indicators?) isn't it right to question his coaching abilities?

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:17 am

Collingwood is a club that will always be under external pressure.

Buckley/Eddie/The board know where it's all at and they'd know what is expected from the team. I'm sure they are all on the same page and possibly have already agreed on a new deal or arrangement surrounding if the team fails or succeeds in 2016.

All we can do as supporters is hope the lads get up every week and can make/win a final.

Top 8 is defiantly within our reach in 2016. Get excited people. I think top 4 is out of the question in 2016. But in 2017? It's not unreasonable to think we could achieve that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: