Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood and the PSD

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:31 pm
Post subject: Collingwood and the PSDReply with quote

Thanks to free agency, we have seen the death of the good old PSD.

It can be confusing when you look back, as the PSD original was held early in the year, only a short while before the start of a new season, there-fore "Pre-Season Draft". As the years went on the PSD started being held in December, which causes a bit of a mess as, for example, you could be drafted in 1999, but be considered a year 2000 pick.

Anyway, I've had a bit of a look back and come up with a top ten for our club: (Please forgive me if Ive left out someone I shouldn’t have, it’s late where I am)

Honorable (Dishonorable?) Mentions:
-Sam Iles (3 Games) (Got a chance with the Suns and played a further 20ish games up there).
-Cameron Venables. (3 Games).
-Luke Mullins (3 games) (Was it he that had the kidney problem and moved to the Hawks, or am I thinking of someone else?).
-Jon Ballyntine. (9 games and one horrible knee injury).
-Trent Hotton (17 games, delisted and picked up by Carlton in time for their wooden spoon in 2002).
-Barry Mitchell. Its hard to believe he actually played for the club. After a distinguish career in Sydney, he came to Collingwood for 12 game/one season stint before going to Carlton for a couple of seasons. Does anyone know why he left?

#10 Scott Cummings. This could be an exciting list folks…. 5 games for the club. But he did provide the club with a favorable character around the place and also gave the club some coaching and HR work. Had a nice Anzac match iirc?

#9 Andrew Tranquilli. 12 games, 20 goals. Another who showed signs early, but never reached his potential. Put in a 6 goal performance against eventual premiers West Coast in 1994 and also played in that infamous loss in the 1994 qualifier at the Waca.

#8 Kent Butcher. Started off with signs of a promising career. Managed 22 games over 3 years at the club. Won the clubs best first year player award, but injuries put a halt to his progression. The Swans took a punt for no return after Collingwood delisted him.

#7 Chad Rintoul. By the time we got Rintoul, he’d already played at 2 clubs (Crows and Eagles) and won a premiership. He managed 14 games from 2 seasons with the Pies. Severe headaches brought a stop to his career and he never played again after round 3, 2002. He’s one of those you cant help but wonder what difference it could have made if he was healthy. (He was only 27 when he had to give it up).

#6 Brett James. The South Australian played 42 games for the Magpies before a trade back to Adelaide for a further 70-odd games and 2 flags, altho that’s hardly a good thing for us now is it. In his time at Collingwood, he played some good games, but the fact he wanted to go home and got to win 2 flags does leave you feeling a little bitter.

#5 Chris Bryan. 30 games from 3 seasons is what we got out of Bryan. We were in desperate need of help in the ruck for so many seasons during the 2000’s and Bryan was one of the guys we had plug that hole during that time. After his final match with Collingwood, he almost got a gig at Hawthorn before a very short career as a punter in the NFL.

#4 Dermott Brereton. One season, 15 games. That’s all we got from Dermi, but he provided great leadership and I think really helped Saverio Rocca in his development. It would have been nice to get him a little earlier in his career.

#3 Blake Caracella. We only got 27 games out of Caracella, but we could have seen that possibly doubled had it not been for the neck injury he suffered in round 10, 2006. When you think about our 2007 season, and that Prelim against the Cats, how he could have made a difference to the final score. Was a great kick for goal. Stayed with the club and went into coaching, but I believe had a bit of a fallout with some at the club and now works for the Cats.

#2 Glenn Freeborn. We got 83 games from Freeborn after 55 (including a flag) with North, He brought a toughness to the club and was a part of the 2002 team that came so close. His last game was 2003s Anzac match and he called it quits at 30 years of age.

#1 Shane O’Bree. Clearly the player that gave us the most with 227 games. From his first year (2000) until 2009, O’Bree missed only 12 games from a possible 233 matches. Sadly in 2010, he could only manage 6 games, missing out on the finals series as injury and age caught up with him.

Wow, that was a tough top 10…. Maybe it’s a good thing this draft is dead!! Razz

Fun facts:
-Chris Bryan was our last PSD pick. (2007).

-John McCarthy was the last Collingwood player drafted to another club, Port Adelaide. (2012).

-Des Tuddenhams son, Paul, was taken by Carlton for the 1992 season. He didn't play a game for them.

-Gerad Healy was taken by Collingwood for the 1991 season, but he remained retired.

-Shane Woewodin (Brownlow medalist and future Collingwood player) was taken by Melbourne before the 1996 season).

-Three 1990 Premiership Pies were taken by rival clubs in the PSD.
(Damian Monkhorst by St Kilda before the 2000 season, he played 10 games there).
(Tony Francis by St Kilda before the 1999 season, he played 19 games there).
(Scott Russell by Sydney before the 1999 season, he played 16 games there).

What might have been:
-Liam Jurrah who had been playing for Collingwood VFL, was taken by Melbourne with pick 1 before the 2009 season. At the time, I believe the Pies were upset about having him pinched from under our noses.

- Before the 1996 season, Peter Bell (pick 15) and Simon Goodwin (pick 1Cool could have been ours at pick 9. We took Mark Pittura for a return of zero games.

-Tony Lockett could have been a Magpie after all, with pick 4 in 2001’s PSD. We went for Cummings and probably got a better return. Plugger went pick 6.

-The year we took Caracella, Eddie Betts was taken with the next pick by Carlton.

-The year we too Sam Iles, we could have taken Scott Camporeale who went a few picks later to Essendon.

-Mal Michael could have retuned to Collingwood but was taken by Essendon with pick 2. In all fairness we didn’t have a pick until (I think) pick 7 which we took Chris Bryan. I just wanted to mention it. Cam Cloke was taken by the Blues that year as well.

-One bloke I can’t stand, Glenn Manton could have been a Pie. We took Nick Hider at pick 24. Manton went to Carlon at pick 27.

-This one’s a little strange, but Jack Anthony had the shits and walked into the PSD of 2011. He had a great kick and could have been anything. Makes you wonder what was going through his mind. He could have been apart of the clubs success. He provided little for Freo.

-Craig McRae was taken at pick 22 in the year we took Barry Mitchell at pick 15.

-Dean Rice was taken at pick 19 by the Blues in the year we took Jon Ballantine at pick 13. (Think about that one, his son was just taken as a F/S Razz).

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too long to read!
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Good read
Not long enough

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Kidney guy: Bo Nixon
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Great post Mr Presti Man! Enjoyed it. Learned some things.

(Pay no attention to the meaningless opinions of illiterates.)

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Tannin wrote:
Great post Mr Presti Man! Enjoyed it. Learned some things.

(Pay no attention to the meaningless opinions of illiterates.)

Luke Mullins went back home and played in a Premiership for Wangaratta Magpies.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:09 am

Very good Sunday morning read for me, thanks Presti
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:34 am

Wangaratta Magpies has a history connection with Collingwood.

The great man Bob Rose headed up there when his playing days
finished.

Coached the Wang.Magpie,s to a couple of premiership,s before
coming back to take over from Phonse Kyne.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood and the PSDReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Thanks to free agency, we have seen the death of the good old PSD.
Honorable (Dishonorable?) Mentions:
-Jon Ballyntine. (9 games and one horrible knee injury).
-Trent Hotton (17 games, delisted and picked up by Carlton in time for their wooden spoon in 2002).
-Barry Mitchell. Its hard to believe he actually played for the club. After a distinguish career in Sydney, he came to Collingwood for 12 game/one season stint before going to Carlton for a couple of seasons. Does anyone know why he left?

#7 Chad Rintoul. By the time we got Rintoul, he’d already played at 2 clubs (Crows and Eagles) and won a premiership. He managed 14 games from 2 seasons with the Pies. Severe headaches brought a stop to his career and he never played again after round 3, 2002. He’s one of those you cant help but wonder what difference it could have made if he was healthy. (He was only 27 when he had to give it up).

#5 Chris Bryan. 30 games from 3 seasons is what we got out of Bryan. We were in desperate need of help in the ruck for so many seasons during the 2000’s and Bryan was one of the guys we had plug that hole during that time. After his final match with Collingwood, he almost got a gig at Hawthorn before a very short career as a punter in the NFL.

#4 Dermott Brereton. One season, 15 games. That’s all we got from Dermi, but he provided great leadership and I think really helped Saverio Rocca in his development. It would have been nice to get him a little earlier in his career.

#3 Blake Caracella. We only got 27 games out of Caracella, but we could have seen that possibly doubled had it not been for the neck injury he suffered in round 10, 2006. When you think about our 2007 season, and that Prelim against the Cats, how he could have made a difference to the final score. Was a great kick for goal. Stayed with the club and went into coaching, but I believe had a bit of a fallout with some at the club and now works for the Cats.

#2 Glenn Freeborn. We got 83 games from Freeborn after 55 (including a flag) with North, He brought a toughness to the club and was a part of the 2002 team that came so close. His last game was 2003s Anzac match and he called it quits at 30 years of age.

#1 Shane O’Bree. Clearly the player that gave us the most with 227 games. From his first year (2000) until 2009, O’Bree missed only 12 games from a possible 233 matches. Sadly in 2010, he could only manage 6 games, missing out on the finals series as injury and age caught up with him.

Wow, that was a tough top 10…. Maybe it’s a good thing this draft is dead!! Razz

What might have been:

- Before the 1996 season, Peter Bell (pick 15) and Simon Goodwin (pick 1Cool could have been ours at pick 9. We took Mark Pittura for a return of zero games.

-This one’s a little strange, but Jack Anthony had the shits and walked into the PSD of 2011. He had a great kick and could have been anything. Makes you wonder what was going through his mind. He could have been apart of the clubs success. He provided little for Freo.

-Craig McRae was taken at pick 22 in the year we took Barry Mitchell at pick 15.

Good thread Presti35; a few observations for my 20c worth...

-Jon Ballyntine. Did his knee chasing that pox thing Jakovich at Waverly in April 1994 against Melbourne. Spent the remainder of 1994 in coaches box with Matthews. Tragic result, didn't come back well in 1995.

-Trent Hotton. Shocking alcho. Pissed off Shaw and the cops one time too many. Could have been a cult hero at Victoria Park, had he towed the line.

-Barry Mitchell. After leaving Sydney in 1992, he intended to go to Carlton. Collingwood grabbed him, then allowed him to go to THERE in 1994, because he wanted to be one of THEM, and it paid dividends in 1995.

#7 Chad Rintoul. Yep, followed MM over from WCE at end of 2000; broke his leg in the 2001 Anzac day game, and struggled to find that form again.
Then it was the head trauma in 2002. He would have been handy if fit for 2002 GF against Brisbane. Very strong body that we lacked.

#5 Chris Bryan. *sigh* was one step too many lining up for goal in 3rd qtr of 2007 PF, a tackle which changed the course of the match, and most likely cost us a GF berth and unexpected premiership. He was gallant that night against Monster Ottens, unlike piss-weak coward Richards.

#4 Dermott Brereton. One season, one epic season. Redemption. Would have been stoked to see him play on in 1996, even if he had been on one leg in the pocket dragging the 2nd defender away.

#3 Blake Caracella. We can thank Ryan Lonie for ending Caracella's carrer, as much as the dog Notting. Atrocious kick, setting him up to be hit in round 10, 2006. Yes we were one midfielder short against the Cats for that 2007PF we should have won. Lonie and Notting helped us lose another premiership; well done fucktards.

#2 Glenn Freeborn. Was a warrior in that 2002 team that came so close. Overlooked for most of 2003 by imbecile Malthouse, who was obsessed with stacking our 2003 backline with side-stepping cowards like Cole, and other flogs like Lokan and Williams, also at expense of Betheras.

#1 Shane O’Bree. Yep, he hit the wall quickly in 2010, which was sad, as it opened the door for Blair to steal glory at his and Tarkyn's expense.

- Before the 1996 season, Peter Bell (pick 15) and Simon Goodwin ( pick 18 ) could have been ours at pick 9. We took Mark Pittura for a return of zero games.
Typical inept recruiting in the Tony Shaw years, from those flog recruiters who slaughtered our draft picks for 4 consecutive seasons, consigning us to the bottom in 1999. Too many to list right now. But the Phoenix rose again.

-Jack Anthony always thought his shit didn't stink, and that was the half the problem. Couldn't handle losing his spot to Dawes.

-Craig McRae was taken at pick 22 in the year we took Barry Mitchell?
LOL, see above re recruiting during the Shaw era...

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm

It's all good. Was anyone hurt?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Collingwood and the PSDReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:

He just wasn't a good fit.
Scotty Russell and Tony Francis had the roving department covered and he struggled to find a place in the team.
He was used to playing on the dinky SCG (oval(?) and didn't have a particularly big tank.
Playing on the vast open spaces of the MCG (week after week) found him out.

(Personally, I reckon the club was so miffed that the filth snaffled Greg Williams it was determined to run off with the bridesmaid Mitchell).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Great research, Presti35. I was wondering what happened to the PSD. Did it even run this year? Who got picked? And is there really any point in having it any more?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:16 pm

barrybc41 wrote:
Wangaratta Magpies has a history connection with Collingwood.

The great man Bob Rose headed up there when his playing days
finished.

You sure he didn't go to Wang Rovers?

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:26 pm

Congratulations on that work Presti. That obviously took hours of research before you even started the write up. The great majority of us are very thankful such posts appear on Nick's.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:25 pm

barrybc41 wrote:

Not quite. Coached the Wangaratta Rovers.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rose_%28footballer%29).
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangaratta_Rovers_Football_Club).
His first game there was the first game of football the old man ever took me to.
Mostly I remember a forest of men's legs, but the thought was nice.

Great post, Presti35.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: